PDA

View Full Version : Bush Walking

jafar00
01-18-2014, 06:25 AM
Does anyone here include bush walking as their main cardio activity? I just moved to an area with a lot of tracks and checked on out. It was a bit strenuous in the heat but I can see how walking in the bush, climbing over logs, scrabbling over rocks etc.. would be a good workout. Much better than walking a straight pathway.

I made a vid of part of the walk I did today. I think this could become a "thing" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHsQQSSmcQ

fj1200
01-18-2014, 07:36 AM
I think this could become a "thing" :)

I think the rest of the world refers to hit as "hiking." :poke:

aboutime
01-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Agreed fj...(for once). And it might surprise jafar to learn. We even have Boots, and Shoes for just that purpose too!

I would use 'Bush Walking', as taking a stroll with TWO former presidents

Abbey Marie
01-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Jafar, much more interesting than walking my neighborhood or a track. I especially loved that green lagoon-looking body of water.

Given Australia's propensity for the world's deadliest animals, are you worried about running into anything scary?

jafar00
01-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Tomato, Tomato ;) We call it Bush Walking :slap:

Jafar, much more interesting than walking my neighborhood or a track. I especially loved that green lagoon-looking body of water.

Given Australia's propensity for the world's deadliest animals, are you worried about running into anything scary?

I was eyes down most of the time looking out for snakes. Early on in the walk I lost another hazard. My wife who was complaining about being dragged all the way out here to walk in the Bush ;) Soon after she went back to the beginning, I saw a Koala and 2 Frill Neck Lizards who ran across my path. I thought I saw a croc too but then I remembered they are not "usually" found south of the Tropic of Capricorn. So, it was just snakes really.

Abbey Marie
01-18-2014, 07:02 PM

I was eyes down most of the time looking out for snakes. Early on in the walk I lost another hazard. My wife who was complaining about being dragged all the way out here to walk in the Bush ;) Soon after she went back to the beginning, I saw a Koala and 2 Frill Neck Lizards who ran across my path. I thought I saw a croc too but then I remembered they are not "usually" found south of the Tropic of Capricorn. So, it was just snakes really.

So cool! :beer:

jimnyc
01-18-2014, 07:17 PM

And my ass ain't doing either of them. Especially "bush walking" which means nasty and deadly little spiders are never far off. Eff that, I would rather go play with some tigers or bears!

jimnyc
01-18-2014, 07:18 PM

You take good pictures too, see if you can snap some shots of the Frill Necks! Those suckers are awesome. Hold your hand out and see if the sucker bites!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Does anyone here include bush walking as their main cardio activity? I just moved to an area with a lot of tracks and checked on out. It was a bit strenuous in the heat but I can see how walking in the bush, climbing over logs, scrabbling over rocks etc.. would be a good workout. Much better than walking a straight pathway.

I made a vid of part of the walk I did today. I think this could become a "thing" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHsQQSSmcQ A really good video , thanks enjoyed it much. Reminds me that I've been out of the woods too damn long. Where were all the birds and small animals ? Spring, Summer and Autumn here a walk like that and I'd see dozens of such small critters. I've always wanted to go to Australia to explore. I do walking like that usually with a gun or bow in my hand and intent on bagging some very delicious meat for the table. The last decade I mostly favor using the bow. --Tyr

No1tovote4
01-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Was I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about George H.W. Bush?

jafar00
01-19-2014, 03:53 AM
You take good pictures too, see if you can snap some shots of the Frill Necks! Those suckers are awesome. Hold your hand out and see if the sucker bites!

I'm going to join a Bush Walking club near here that goes on photo centric walks now and then. That's when I'll have my camera. For now it's just my phone.

A really good video , thanks enjoyed it much. Reminds me that I've been out of the woods too damn long. Where were all the birds and small animals ? Spring, Summer and Autumn here a walk like that and I'd see dozens of such small critters. I've always wanted to go to Australia to explore. I do walking like that usually with a gun or bow in my hand and intent on bagging some very delicious meat for the table. The last decade I mostly favor using the bow. --Tyr

Both the gun or bow are illegal here. It would be a good way of getting arrested as killing native wildlife is also illegal. I also wouldn't feel safe walking in the bush with stray bullets/arrows going everywhere. There is a shooting range in the area for those who want to shoot anyway.

The idea of Bush Walking, at least in Australia is getting out into nature, getting fresh air, and seeing some nice scenery while you burn off some calories. It sure is a good workout with the uneven trail, climbing over rocks etc...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Both the gun or bow are illegal here. It would be a good way of getting arrested as killing native wildlife is also illegal. I also wouldn't feel safe walking in the bush with stray bullets/arrows going everywhere. There is a shooting range in the area for those who want to shoot anyway.

The idea of Bush Walking, at least in Australia is getting out into nature, getting fresh air, and seeing some nice scenery while you burn off some calories. It sure is a good workout with the uneven trail, climbing over rocks etc...

Outlaw den Bogen! Sagen, sie ist nicht so Amigo. Jagd mit einem Stick und string ist ein Teil der Natur! Say it ain't so....-Tyr

jafar00
01-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Outlaw den Bogen! Sagen, sie ist nicht so Amigo. Jagd mit einem Stick und string ist ein Teil der Natur! Say it ain't so....-Tyr

Wouldn't you prefer to enjoy nature and marvel at the little critters instead of trying to kill them? I mean, if I wanted to munch on some wildlife, there is a good cafe about 20 mins drive from where I was.

Drummond
01-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Was I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about George H.W. Bush?

Nope !! (.. either him, or maybe George W ..)

aboutime
01-19-2014, 07:04 PM
5871 Gudaaay! Bush Walking persona known in America.

gabosaurus
01-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Well heck. I thought perhaps this thread would be about this story...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/19/year-of-the-bush-female-body-hair-cameron-diaz-pubic

fj1200
01-20-2014, 10:56 AM

I say potato, you say muddy tuber.

/song

:poke:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Wouldn't you prefer to enjoy nature and marvel at the little critters instead of trying to kill them? I mean, if I wanted to munch on some wildlife, there is a good cafe about 20 mins drive from where I was. One can enjoy nature while harvesting food my friend. In fact , millions do just that. I fault you not for your decision to not hunt so why fault me for enjoying hunting and my heritage? I am part Native American since my grandfather was full blood Native American. Even the tribes that cultivated the land still hunted to add to their food supply.. Tyr