PDA

View Full Version : Ousted Egypt leader shouts inside cage at trial

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-28-2014, 09:30 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/ousted-egypt-leader-shouts-inside-cage-trial-123417261.html Ousted Egypt leader shouts inside cage at trial

The former president, ousted in a popularly backed July 3 coup, also declared to the judges that he remains Egypt's legitimate leader during an unaired portion of the hearing, a state television reporter inside the courtroom said. In aired footage, defendants chanted that their trial was "invalid." Earlier, the defendants turned their back to the court to protest their prosecution, the state television journalist said.

Morsi raised his hands in the air and angrily questioned why he was in the court. Judge Shabaan el-Shami responded: "I am the head of Egypt's criminal court!"

Morsi paced in a metal cell separated from other defendants. Earlier, a promised live feed was cut, something a senior state television official told local media that security forces demanded.

This is the second time Morsi has appeared in court since the coup. At his first appearance in November, Morsi wore a trim, dark suit and appeared far less agitated, though he interrupted the judge and gave long speeches.

Authorities apparently resorted to the glass-encased cage to muffle the defendants' outbursts, which have disrupted the previous hearing. The judge controls the microphone to the cage.

Morsi already faces three other trials on various charges, some of them carrying the death penalty.

Tuesday's case is rooted in the 2011 escape of more than 20,000 inmates from Egyptian prisons — including Morsi and other Muslim Brotherhood members, during the early days of the 18-day uprising against ousted President Hosni Mubarak. Morsi and the other Brotherhood leaders were detained three years ago Monday as Mubarak's security tried to undercut the planned protests.

At the time, authorities also cut off Internet access and mobile phones networks for four days, crippling communication between protesters and the outside world.

In court Tuesday, 19 other defendants appeared with Morsi. Another 110 defendants, including members of the Palestinian militant group Hamas and Lebanon's Hezbollah, are being tried in absentia.

Authorities have said the jailbreaks were part of an organized effort to destabilize the country. Rights groups have called for an independent investigation into the chaotic events, saying they hold the police responsible for the pandemonium. A Brotherhood lawyer has said the trial appears aimed at "denigrating" Morsi and the Brotherhood.

The hearing is at a police academy complex in eastern Cairo, where a heavy security presence stood guard Tuesday.

Tuesday marked the third anniversary of "Friday of Rage," one of the most violent days of the 2011 uprising when protesters and police clashed for hours before police withdrew from the streets and the military deployed. Morsi supporters clashed Tuesday with police forces in central Cairo, miles from the courtroom, with police lobbing tear gas to disperse the crowd that had burned tires in a main busy street.

Meanwhile, the interior ministry said two gunmen on a motorcycle shot and killed a senior police officer as he left his home in the Haram district of Giza, a Cairo neighborhood. Maj. Gen. Mohammed El-Said was the head of the technical office in the interior ministry, which is in charge of police.

Also Tuesday, MENA reported that gunmen blew up a natural gas pipeline Monday night in the volatile Sinai Peninsula south of el-Arish, the capital of the North Sinai governorate. It said firefighters rushed to the scene to extinguish a fire there.

Gas pipelines have come under attacks several times since Mubarak's downfall, which led to a fracturing of Egypt's security agencies. Suicide bombings also have spiked and spilled into the capital, Cairo, and other cities. An al-Qaida-inspired group called Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, or Champions of Jerusalem, has claimed responsibility for most of those attacks. Finally they caged the scum like they should have to start with! Hurry up find him guilty because he is and execute his MB murdering sorry ass! Then wipe out all his fellow murdering brethren too. Sweet justice has never looked so good. :clap::clap: :dance:--Tyr

jafar00
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Yet, Mubarak got off without being charged for anything during his decades of corruption, murder, and oppression. Morsi is right about being the legitimate President. He was voted in. Sisi is just another African General who is only in power because of a military coup and marks the return of the old regime. The Egyptians didn't win any freedom from the revolution.

Voted4Reagan
01-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Seems Morsi is up to his neck in it...

I bet he's trying every trick in the book to keep his head on that neck...

Sharia allows for beheading does it not? Since Morsi supported Sharia so closely he may have cooked his own goose.

jafar00
01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Seems Morsi is up to his neck in it...

I bet he's trying every trick in the book to keep his head on that neck...

Sharia allows for beheading does it not? Since Morsi supported Sharia so closely he may have cooked his own goose.

As far as I know, beheading is permitted in Sharia but by no means the only way of carrying out capital punishment which is supposed to be done swiftly without causing suffering to the prisoner since their punishment or mercy is for the afterlife.

The fact remains that while Morsi's govt was inept, it was not brutal. He refused to live in the Presidential Palaces and took a salary of only $10k/yr. Raised the salaries of poorly paid teachers and other govt workers about 400%. Raised the amount of welfare payments by a similar amount.

While I view the tenure of Morsi as a failure, I don't think he deserves to be put on trial for anything. It is a purely political move by the old regime because they were humiliated during the revolution.

fj1200
01-28-2014, 06:26 PM
The fact remains that while Morsi's govt was inept, it was not brutal. He refused to live in the Presidential Palaces and took a salary of only $10k/yr. Raised the salaries of poorly paid teachers and other govt workers about 400%. Raised the amount of welfare payments by a similar amount.

Yeah, I didn't think he had much handle on the economic challenges either.

jafar00
01-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I didn't think he had much handle on the economic challenges either.

One of my Wife's Uncles, a teacher was on 500le (US$71) a month before the revolution. After, he was on 2000le (US$287) a month.

Yes, he was quite happy with Morsi as President ;)

The country could afford it since for the first time in 4 decades, the President wasn't syphoning billions into his own pockets.

fj1200
01-29-2014, 09:00 AM
One of my Wife's Uncles, a teacher was on 500le (US$71) a month before the revolution. After, he was on 2000le (US$287) a month.

Yes, he was quite happy with Morsi as President ;)

The country could afford it since for the first time in 4 decades, the President wasn't syphoning billions into his own pockets.

Of course it's easy to be happy when you get a raise by presidential fiat but it likely ignores the downstream effects. A typical problem with developing countries is that they have ruling/government classes which skim the best for those in the best positions and the ordinary citizens get stuck footing the bill. Now I'm certainly happy that Mubarak is no longer lining his pocket but that doesn't make the new scheme economically beneficial for the country either.

Don't forget the foreign reserves debacle that they were dealing with; it's easy to burn through reserves when everyone gets a 400% raise. ;)

jimnyc
01-29-2014, 11:48 AM
My main beef with Morsi and his buddies is that he tried to unilaterally change the constitution and make himself and his cronies untouchable. That alone should be enough to have him removed from office. Can you imagine ANY US president changing the COTUS on his own and making himself above the law? That wouldn't fly here either.

jafar00
01-29-2014, 01:55 PM
My main beef with Morsi and his buddies is that he tried to unilaterally change the constitution and make himself and his cronies untouchable. That alone should be enough to have him removed from office. Can you imagine ANY US president changing the COTUS on his own and making himself above the law? That wouldn't fly here either.

To be honest it wouldn't have changed anything. Mubarak was untouchable too. Whenever he felt safe enough to travel by road, entire sections of Cairo were locked down complete with snipers and heavily armed special forces lining the route. The people were warned in advance he was going to travel and told to stay away from the windows or face punishment. He even escaped prosecution for years of destroying the country with the old regime still firmly entrenched in the judiciary and the very fabric of the country.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-29-2014, 07:21 PM
While I view the tenure of Morsi as a failure, I don't think he deserves to be put on trial for anything. It is a purely political move by the old regime because they were humiliated during the revolution. ^^ Careful there, your extremist loving bias is showing .. ;) -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Of course it's easy to be happy when you get a raise by presidential fiat but it likely ignores the downstream effects. Say , did he take lessons from Obama ? That presidential fiat thing sure has spread since boywonder lied his way into power. Egypt didn't let him get away with it like Congress has Obama here. bamscum should be facing the same kind of trial IMHO. --Tyr

jafar00
01-30-2014, 02:48 PM
^^ Careful there, your extremist loving bias is showing .. ;) -Tyr

You do realise that Morsi is just the fall guy right? :p

Drummond
01-30-2014, 03:42 PM
^^ Careful there, your extremist loving bias is showing .. ;) -Tyr:clap::clap::clap:

Drummond
01-30-2014, 03:46 PM
You do realise that Morsi is just the fall guy right? :p

Do your sympathies have anything to do with - by any chance - the fact that Hamas, the terrorist outfit you're fond of supporting, are an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood ? Are you inclined to offer a measure of blanket support for any organisation, or people showing loyalties or commitment, to those linked to the Brotherhood, as Hamas is ?

aboutime
01-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Do your sympathies have anything to do with - by any chance - the fact that Hamas, the terrorist outfit you're fond of supporting, are an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood ? Are you inclined to offer a measure of blanket support for any organisation, or people showing loyalties or commitment, to those linked to the Brotherhood, as Hamas is ?

Sir Drummond. Morsi is being Mourned by the jafar's of the world today. We all know his fondness of Hamas, and the growing Muslim Brotherhood..right here in the U.S.A. supported by our Phony, Wannabe Nation Destroyer Obama.

jafar speaks from BOTH sides of his mouth. Much like Obama. And we all know. Saying anything negative (honest) about Obama, or jafar...is much like admitting to racism, terrorism, and Genuine STUPIDITY.

jafar00
01-30-2014, 08:03 PM

There you go with the Hamas thing again.

I'm talking about Morsi as an individual.

aboutime
01-30-2014, 08:09 PM

jafar. You honestly don't understand how all of us recognize your perpetual needs, and desire to always DEFEND Hamas....do you?

Morsi, and the Muslim Brotherhood, with Hamas, and Hezbolla are just a FEW of your FAVORITE THINGS.

Gaffer
02-01-2014, 10:44 AM

Morsi is a supporter of hamas, he stated so. He is also a big wheel in the brotherhood. I also remember you being supportive of him when he was running for prez and when he took office. I remember you carrying his water for him when he was screwing things up left and right saying he just needed a little time to get things right.

He's another piece of muslim garbage.