PDA

View Full Version : Marriage and Children are "stupid things"

Abbey Marie
01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
This is the kind of blog that gets a lot of people angry...

Feminist Blogger Amy Glass Angers With Blog Post Slamming Women with Husbands and Kids

By Zachary Stieber, Epoch Times | January 27, 2014

A blog post from Amy Glass, a feminist blogger who describes herself as a “powerhouse” and a “lover of start-ups, big ideas, and the future,” has angered people with a blog post that slams women who marry and have children.

The post, “I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry,” says that feminism isn’t about validating every choice a woman makes, because if a woman chooses to be a stay-at-home-mom then that’s the wrong choice.

“Do people really think that a stay at home mom is really on equal footing with a woman who works and takes care of herself? There’s no way those two things are the same,. It’s hard for me to believe it’s not just verbally placating these people so they don’t get in trouble with the mommy bloggers,” Glass wrote.

“Having kids and getting married are considered life milestones. We have baby showers and wedding parties as if it’s a huge accomplishment and cause for celebration to be able to get knocked up or find someone to walk down the aisle with. These aren’t accomplishments, they are actually super easy tasks, literally anyone can do them. They are the most common thing, ever, in the history of the world. They are, by definition, average. And here’s the thing, why on earth are we settling for average?”

Instead, Glass said, she wants to have a shower for a woman “when she backpacks on her own through Asia, gets a promotion, or lands a dream job not when she stays inside the box and does the house and kids thing which is the path of least resistance.”

It is not realistic to do these kinds of things if you are a woman who is married and has children, according to Glass. “You will never have the time, energy, freedom or mobility to be exceptional if you have a husband and kids.”

She concluded by saying that men don’t talk about how hard it is to raise kids and manage a household because men “aren’t conditioned to think stupid things like that are ‘important.’”
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/474407-feminist-blogger-amy-glass-angers-with-blog-post-slamming-women-with-husbands-and-kids/

jimnyc
01-28-2014, 01:08 PM
She describes herself as a "powerhouse", and then goes on to insulting about half of the nation, at minimum.

That's called being an attention whore, and looking for free notoriety.

CSM
01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I dunno ... I guess I feel sorry for Ms. Glass ... I guess

tailfins
01-28-2014, 01:12 PM
There's no shortage of news about our angry society. Women stopped nurturing and society gets meaner. Ideally the mother of children can be shielded from the sharp edges of society in order for children to be raised without the meanness of society invading the home. However there is worse than Amy Glass in Brazil. There are official Communists who openly bow to the Hammer and Sickle that call for the destruction of the family whenever possible because it interferes with children being considered property of the state. I previously posted the following:

https://www.facebook.com/MarchaContraaFamilia (https://www.facebook.com/MarchaContraaFamilia)

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-prn2/c31.14.180.180/s160x160/954786_1374858969410664_2050659525_n.jpg

jafar00
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Yes, having kids is stupid sometimes. I was installing a new hand bidet last night in the bathroom, and my 2.5 y/o spent the whole time playing with the rubber washers, silicon tape, hitting me with any tools she could procure, and splashing about in the puddle of water I was trying not to create. At the end she grabbed the newly installed hand bidet while my back was turned as I was putting away my tools and sprayed me with it.

Soaked to the bone and bruised, I wondered if it was all worth it?

When she came over, gave me a sloppy cheek kiss and told me she loved me I decided it was.

My wife is the real supermum and "powerhouse". She has stayed at home (soon to start studying again) rearing and nurturing our daughter, and turning a house into a warm, cosy home. She has more balls than any uppity, loud mouthed feminist ever will.

jimnyc
01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Yes, having kids is stupid sometimes. I was installing a new hand bidet last night in the bathroom, and my 2.5 y/o spent the whole time playing with the rubber washers, silicon tape, hitting me with any tools she could procure, and splashing about in the puddle of water I was trying not to create. At the end she grabbed the newly installed hand bidet while my back was turned as I was putting away my tools and sprayed me with it.

Soaked to the bone and bruised, I wondered if it was all worth it?

When she came over, gave me a sloppy cheek kiss and told me she loved me I decided it was.

My wife is the real supermum and "powerhouse". She has stayed at home (soon to start studying again) rearing and nurturing our daughter, and turning a house into a warm, cosy home. She has more balls than any uppity, loud mouthed feminist ever will.

If I was hanging while you were doing the job I probably would have done the same as her. :)

gabosaurus
01-28-2014, 02:20 PM
She describes herself as a "powerhouse", and then goes on to insulting about half of the nation, at minimum.

That's called being an attention whore, and looking for free notoriety.

Amy Glass is well known for writing things meant more to arouse than inform. She has been called "the feminist Ann Coulter."

Thunderknuckles
01-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I can understand the drive to succeed but that just sounds like pure selfishness to me. It's all about her desires and to hell with everyone and everything else.

aboutime
01-28-2014, 05:14 PM
This is the kind of blog that gets a lot of people angry...

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/474407-feminist-blogger-amy-glass-angers-with-blog-post-slamming-women-with-husbands-and-kids/

Abbey. Feminists...of all stripes, are just angry, ugly, stupid people who demand that everyone else around them is WRONG...unless they always agree with their STUPIDITY.

jafar00
01-29-2014, 12:26 AM
If I was hanging while you were doing the job I probably would have done the same as her. :)

What? You would've come over to give me a sloppy cheek kiss and tell me you love me? :D

Abbey Marie
01-29-2014, 12:36 AM
What? You would've come over to give me a sloppy cheek kiss and tell me you love me? :D

:laugh2:

Jafar 1, Jim 0

DragonStryk72
01-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Woo-hoo! Found the actual blog post:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/amy-glass/2014/01/i-look-down-on-young-women-with-husbands-and-kids-and-im-not-sorry/Every time I hear someone say that feminism is about validating every choice a woman makes I have to fight back vomit.
Do people really think that a stay at home mom is really on equal footing with a woman who works and takes care of herself? There’s no way those two things are the same. It’s hard for me to believe it’s not just verbally placating these people so they don’t get in trouble with the mommy bloggers.

Yes, yes I do, because here's the thing you don't get: being a stay at home mom is work. It's not just sitting about waiting for a man to validate your day, there's a lot of crap that has to get done. Of course, you would know this if you'd ever experienced it, but I'm guessing that hasn't happened.

Having kids and getting married are considered life milestones. We have baby showers and wedding parties as if it’s a huge accomplishment and cause for celebration to be able to get knocked up or find someone to walk down the aisle with. These aren’t accomplishments, they are actually super easy tasks, literally anyone can do them. They are the most common thing, ever, in the history of the world. They are, by definition, average. And here’s the thing, why on earth are we settling for average?

So is getting older, but we still celebrated birthdays, but really, you just don't get what is being celebrated. A wedding party is celebrating a lasting love between two people you care about, while a baby shower is celebrating a new life coming into the world. It has no bearing on technical difficulty, but then, neither does Christmas, and we still celebrate it.

Other things that are common: Having a job, keeping a job, paying your bills, the list goes on and on. So, should women stop doing these things as well? I mean, they're average, and why on earth are we settling for average?

If women can do anything, why are we still content with applauding them for doing nothing?
I want to have a shower for a woman when she backpacks on her own through Asia, gets a promotion, or lands a dream job not when she stays inside the box and does the house and kids thing which is the path of least resistance. The dominate cultural voice will tell you these are things you can do with a husband and kids, but as I’ve written before, that’s a lie. (http://thoughtcatalog.com/amy-glass/2013/12/successful-women-do-not-fall-in-love/) It’s just not reality.

Because they're not doing nothing. That's a lack of value that you are ascribing, and no one else.

And speaking as a person who's spent a lot of time in the woods, never backpack anywhere by yourself. It's idiotic and dangerous, and really, it's less fun than it would be to go with a friend.

Um, we already celebrate promotions, unless you have shitty friend, and the same for landing a dream job.

Okay... clearly this woman has not attempted to raise children of any kind, because "path of least resistance"? Every mother on the Earth is laughing at the concept of raising kids as being resistance-free.

Well, actually, it is reality, just as it was reality when my family took a trip together to Ireland. Just as it was reality when my Mother was inducted into the Order of the Arrow after years of doing Scouts with me and my brother.

You will never have the time, energy, freedom or mobility to be exceptional if you have a husband and kids.

I hear women talk about how “hard” it is to raise kids and manage a household all the time. I never hear men talk about this. It’s because women secretly like to talk about how hard managing a household is so they don’t have to explain their lack of real accomplishments. Men don’t care to “manage a household.” They aren’t conditioned to think stupid things like that are “important.”

Really now? So, Hilary Clinton is just a fantasy that happened? Or Sarah Palin, Angelina Jolie (How many kids is she up to?). Oh right, they do exist, so this disproves your little thesis.

They talk about how hard it is (no air quotes as I'm not being sarcastic) because it's difficult. Of course, anything worth doing is difficult. Raising children IS an accomplishment, a lasting legacy to your life.

Now, as a man, I manage a household, I just don't see a particularly good reason to go on and on about it. It's important, and if you're trying to validate things based on what men talk about, you're really missing the entire point of feminism.

Women will be equal with men when we stop demanding that it be considered equally important to do housework and real work. They are not equal. Doing laundry will never be as important as being a doctor or an engineer or building a business. This word play is holding us back.

Um, it's not word play. Things can be at different ends of the spectrum, but both still be vital. Here's an example: Let's say you and several are stuck on an island, and the chores get divided up, with you gathering firewood/maintaining the fire, one guy cooking the food, one guy fishing/hunting, and the guy who digs the well and bring water. Which one is most vital? Which one could you just go without? Well, without firewood, you can't heat the water to purify it, or cook the food, so people get sick and run into problems with exposure. Without water, everyone's dead in three days. Without food, everyone's dead in a couple weeks, so everyone's vital, and important, although none of the individual tasks are difficult, but they need to be done.

As to housework vs. real work, they're both work, just different kinds of work, and thus, both are real. At a job, you are specialized in either a single, or small group, of tasks. As a stay-at-home mom, you are a jack of all trades instead, having to do a bit of everything to get the job done.

What really burns me about the article, though, is the shear enormity of the ignorance of lifestyles that is present in the writing. She draws her conclusions from no actual personal experience, nor from actual observation of the lifestyles of others. She simply declares whole huge facets of human life unworthy, and unneeded.