PDA

View Full Version : Make sense of the world

logroller
01-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Yet if Republicans want real liberty, they must accept that their views on sex, drugs and poverty are medieval. Radel’s resignation underscores the fact that Republicans need renewal. Every democracy needs a battle of ideas between a party of the right and a party of the left. There is invariably a tradeoff between equity and efficiency. Healthy competition between the right and the left keeps an economy in some sort of equilibrium. The increasingly anti-intellectual party of Sarah Palin needs to base its arguments on intellectual rigor and not religious fervor. Republicans owe it to the electorate to offer a credible alternative by becoming more tolerant of minorities, sexual behavior and use of intoxicants.
http://www.fairobserver.com/article/make-sense-world-weekly-report-jan-28-2014

Its a long article, but well worth the time to hear a take on the world's political events.

fj1200
01-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Do you mean I can no longer pick and choose my preferred Constitutional provisions?

jimnyc
01-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Yet if Republicans want real liberty, they must accept that their views on sex, drugs and poverty are medieval. Radel’s resignation underscores the fact that Republicans need renewal. Every democracy needs a battle of ideas between a party of the right and a party of the left.

I think what this means is, in many cases, they will need to move away from their beliefs in order to have a level of compromise in order to see things through. And I agree on this. But I disagree that wanting real liberty means one must back off their beliefs. In the slippery slope case, that could mean that someday I may need to compromise my position on things like abortion and gun control - which will never happen.

Btw, stab me if I am way off base here. I admittedly didn't even read the article and am just replying to what I quoted. :)

fj1200
01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
I think what this means is, in many cases, they will need to move away from their beliefs in order to have a level of compromise in order to see things through. And I agree on this. But I disagree that wanting real liberty means one must back off their beliefs. In the slippery slope case, that could mean that someday I may need to compromise my position on things like abortion and gun control - which will never happen.

There's a difference between having a belief and advocating for government to legislate based on your belief. Also, one cannot have a belief in liberty and then desire for laws to limit the liberties of others.