PDA

View Full Version : Maine court rules in favor of transgender pupil

jimnyc
02-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Ain't that awesome? Now parents of the girls at this school can rest safely knowing that their little girls are using the facilities with a BOY. And now that precedent has been made, how long before we see garbage like this all over?

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — School officials violated state anti-discrimination law when they would not allow a transgender fifth-grader to use the girls' bathroom, according to a ruling by the highest court in Maine that's believed to be the first of its kind.

The family of student Nicole Maines and the Maine Human Rights Commission sued in 2009 after school officials required her to use a staff, not student, restroom.

"This is a momentous decision that marks a huge breakthrough for transgender young people," said Jennifer Levi, director of the Boston-based Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders' Transgender Rights Project after the Maine Supreme Judicial Court's ruling on Thursday.

The court concluded that the Orono school district's actions violated the Maine Human Rights Act, which bans discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity, overturning a lower court's ruling that the district acted within its discretion.

The ruling is the first time a state high court concluded that a transgender person should use the bathroom of the gender with which they identify, according to GLAD. Federal courts haven't taken up the issue.

Students at the southern Maine high school Nicole now attends stood up and cheered when news of the ruling was announced, said her father, Wayne Maines.

School administrators across the country are grappling with the issue.

Colorado officials said last year that a suburban Colorado Springs school district discriminated against a 6-year-old transgender girl by preventing her from using the girls' bathroom.

http://news.yahoo.com/maine-court-rules-favor-transgender-pupil-165405315.html

Abbey Marie
02-01-2014, 09:55 AM
I sincerely hope that when I have a grandchild, my daughter can afford to send him or her to private school. Public schools are turning into very sad places.

jimnyc
02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
I sincerely hope that when I have a grandchild, my daughter can afford to send him or her to private school. Public schools are turning into very sad places.

Some have scoffed at the amount of money we will be spending to send our son to private school. At least I know he won't be subjected to this kind of screwed up shit.

Abbey Marie
02-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Some have scoffed at the amount of money we will be spending to send our son to private school. At least I know he won't be subjected to this kind of screwed up shit.

Amen, Jim.

It's not on the same level, but we spent what was quite a lot of money (for us at the time), to send our daughter to a very good private preschool and kindergarten. When she went to public school in first grade, the teacher asked us where she had gone, because she was already apparently better educated than the other students. So, I felt that we spent our money in the absolute best way possible.

Of course, part of it was also that we taught her to read before kindergarten, and encouraged reading and learning from the very start. Parents IMO must always be super-involved, or no amount of money will help. And the contrary is also true- if parents are super involved and inculcate a love of learning, just about ANY school will be fine. It's the godlessness and social/cultural garbage like above that are the unavoidable public school problems.

tailfins
02-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Ain't that awesome? Now parents of the girls at this school can rest safely knowing that their little girls are using the facilities with a BOY. And now that precedent has been made, how long before we see garbage like this all over?

Since I only have boys, I'm less worried about it. My only peeve is those that nickname that boy "perv", "weirdo", "shemale", "sissy", etc. run the risk of being disciplined.

jimnyc
02-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Since I only have boys, I'm less worried about it. My only peeve is those that nickname that boy "perv", "weirdo", "shemale", "sissy", etc. run the risk of being disciplined.

I'm not so sure I want a 'guy' that is really a girl in with my son either!

Abbey Marie
02-01-2014, 12:26 PM
they would not allow a transgender fifth-grader

Btw, how can a fifth grader be transgender? Did he already have his penis cut off? I doubt it.

Words are important. This characterization of someone as "transgender" who at this stage is just thinking he wants to be the other sex, is part of the media's and the liberal court systems' normalization process.

As I know I've said in another thread, people need to use the bathroom that is specified for their gender-specific parts.

DragonStryk72
02-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Okay, now, I'm fine with people being transgendered. It's not my place to judge, and how you feel about your body is on you. However, bathrooms are done by the plumbing of the students involved, and as long as your plumbing's male, being in the girl's bathroom is a no.

The school tried to create a compromise, allowing the child to use the teacher's unisex bathroom, which was a perfectly acceptable compromise, and should have been left at that. It allowed the child access to proper facilities, while putting out no one.

aboutime
02-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Okay, now, I'm fine with people being transgendered. It's not my place to judge, and how you feel about your body is on you. However, bathrooms are done by the plumbing of the students involved, and as long as your plumbing's male, being in the girl's bathroom is a no.

The school tried to create a compromise, allowing the child to use the teacher's unisex bathroom, which was a perfectly acceptable compromise, and should have been left at that. It allowed the child access to proper facilities, while putting out no one.

How long will it be until we hear about this BOY/GIRL getting beat up, or bullied by other girls because HE/SHE didn't put UP THE SEAT????

aboutime
02-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Abbey. Two of our grandson's (brothers), both had basketball game's today. They are 10, and 8, and on different teams. SADLY...we will never know whether both of them WON, or LOST today because......"THEY NO LONGER KEEP SCORES"....since it wouldn't be fair???

More of the same....."BS".

Abbey Marie
02-01-2014, 04:23 PM

Oh no, DS, that wouldn't do. They must, literally at all costs, be treated as normal. A special bathroom is not normal, doncha know?

Abbey Marie
02-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Abbey. Two of our grandson's (brothers), both had basketball game's today. They are 10, and 8, and on different teams. SADLY...we will never know whether both of them WON, or LOST today because......"THEY NO LONGER KEEP SCORES"....since it wouldn't be fair???

More of the same....."BS".

Seriously?! I wouldn't let my child play in a league like that.

aboutime
02-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Seriously?! I wouldn't let my child play in a league like that.

Agree with you Abbey. But, they live more than 200 miles away, and near WASHINGTON DC. The center for POLITICAL CORRECTNESS that is bringing down our entire nation...One Child at a time.

My son, and daughter-in-law agree with You, and me. But they are limited to the district where they live..unfortunately.
My son, the Marine, teaches both boys the right ways...and they privately KEEP score at each game as to NOT UPSET the predominant LIBERAL, TREE HUGGING, PC crowds who have Permanent LIP PRINTS on their BEHINDS. If you get what I mean?????

KitchenKitten99
02-01-2014, 06:37 PM
This is where I count on the Muslim parents to use their religion and their gender-separation beliefs to the advantage.

logroller
02-02-2014, 07:17 AM
I gotta be honest, sharing a bathroom with anybody is uncomfortable.

tailfins
02-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I gotta be honest, sharing a bathroom with anybody is uncomfortable.

This is one of the times it pays not to give a shit.