PDA

View Full Version : Dead Biker Buried Riding Harley in Giant Transparent Casket

Jeff
02-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I guess this guy truly loved his Harley, I have heard many say they wanted to be buried on there bike but this is the first time I have seen anyone actually do it.

Years before Billy Standley died on Sunday, he planned out every detail of his funeral: He bought up the three plots next to his wife's grave, had his sons build him a custom casket, and arranged for the funeral director to embalm him in a sitting position. Earlier today, Standley's dream funeral took place, and he was laid to rest atop his beloved Harley-Davidson.

http://gawker.com/dead-biker-buried-riding-harley-in-giant-transparent-ca-1513561570

red state
02-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Yeah....more power to an actual DOER than a talker (like most of us). I want to go out in a hunter's blaze of glory.....probably after arrowing a huge buck, I'll have a heart attack. I've told family member to check my quiver and the surrounding area if ever they find that I've passed away in the woods. IF they find the monster, I want the rack bronzed and placed where I harvested the animal or at least the main spot where my ashes are to be strewn. This guy went all out and my hat is off to his loved ones who made it all possible. Only in AMERICA!!!!

aboutime
02-03-2014, 08:48 PM
5884 click to enlarge. It really took place.

When I pass. I hope everyone who ever called me a liar, a terrorist, or racist. NEVER forgets that NAGGING feeling I wished upon them before taking my last breath.

logroller
02-04-2014, 02:23 AM
Does anyone think its a little weird that he was wearing a helmet?

Gaffer
02-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Might as well put 25 grand in a whole with a turnip. Something tells me he was a Bat Out of Hell fan.

Jeff
02-04-2014, 10:03 AM

He is just being safe :laugh:

Might as well put 25 grand in a whole with a turnip. Something tells me he was a Bat Out of Hell fan.

:lol: Too Funny

jimnyc
02-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I want to be cremated and sprinkled on Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. At least it'll be cheaper!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Yeah....more power to an actual DOER than a talker (like most of us). I want to go out in a hunter's blaze of glory.....probably after arrowing a huge buck, I'll have a heart attack. I've told family member to check my quiver and the surrounding area if ever they find that I've passed away in the woods. IF they find the monster, I want the rack bronzed and placed where I harvested the animal or at least the main spot where my ashes are to be strewn. This guy went all out and my hat is off to his loved ones who made it all possible. Only in AMERICA!!!! Got to admire the guy and those that carried out his final wishes .--Tyr

red state
02-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Yep....I find it a bit over the top and to some extent "MORBID" but the guy and his family stuck to their guns. That is admirable (regardless of the foolishness or morbidity of any chosen plan or promise. Tyr, I can only hope that "Simple Man" and all the other junk that I've requested for my funeral be implemented as faithfully as this guy's funeral. We spread my mom's ashes at her old home place where she grew up....then we place a good portion between her mom and dad's grave.....FINALLY, we gave the rest to the GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS where she felt as 'at home' as I do. In fact, I planted an Hydrangea in her honor there and will be checking in on it Thur. while my wife and I make our annual Valentine's trip (same ole cabin). Not sure what the protocol is for planting things or spreading ashes in certain places but I see no harm in that or spreading ashes on one's favorite ball park. This guy who was buried with his bike has every right to do so and I now feel somewhat ashamed to have questioned his sanity or good sense. Tyr, he and the family who followed his last wishes to a "T" are admirable and I'll simply leave it at that. Remember what the old ranger in "Lonesome Dove" did for his fallen comrade....KraZy but admirable.

aboutime
02-04-2014, 06:50 PM

He must have been a liberal. Holding a vacuum in one position, under a helmet into eternity is probably the ONE thing...they do right.

glockmail
02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
It's a damn shame to destroy a nice bike like that.

Jeff
02-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Yep....I find it a bit over the top and to some extent "MORBID" but the guy and his family stuck to their guns. That is admirable (regardless of the foolishness or morbidity of any chosen plan or promise. Tyr, I can only hope that "Simple Man" and all the other junk that I've requested for my funeral be implemented as faithfully as this guy's funeral. We spread my mom's ashes at her old home place where she grew up....then we place a good portion between her mom and dad's grave.....FINALLY, we gave the rest to the GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS where she felt as 'at home' as I do. In fact, I planted an Hydrangea in her honor there and will be checking in on it Thur. while my wife and I make our annual Valentine's trip (same ole cabin). Not sure what the protocol is for planting things or spreading ashes in certain places but I see no harm in that or spreading ashes on one's favorite ball park. This guy who was buried with his bike has every right to do so and I now feel somewhat ashamed to have questioned his sanity or good sense. Tyr, he and the family who followed his last wishes to a "T" are admirable and I'll simply leave it at that. Remember what the old ranger in "Lonesome Dove" did for his fallen comrade....KraZy but admirable.

The Smokies would be a great place to spend eternity! Of course sitting on my Harley would be nice as well, come to think of it the two could work for sure :cool:

I have to agree with ya Glock, I am presently shopping for a new Harley and the prices are outrageous, makes me wonder how long until we see a story about grave robbers getting a bike :laugh:

red state
02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
True that! They should probably keep or should have kept the location a secret cuz that is a lot of money in the ground and it doesn't appear (given the size of the glass around the bike) that it would be too deep or difficult to simply dig a bit and hoist the bike out clean. LITERALLY CLEAN....except for the course of nature and the situation.

Yes, the Smoky Mountains are a great place to live and die....We are headed that way tomorrow or Fri for our annual Valentines vacation.

Have a good one guys!!!

Jeff
02-06-2014, 08:54 AM
True that! They should probably keep or should have kept the location a secret cuz that is a lot of money in the ground and it doesn't appear (given the size of the glass around the bike) that it would be too deep or difficult to simply dig a bit and hoist the bike out clean. LITERALLY CLEAN....except for the course of nature and the situation.

Yes, the Smoky Mountains are a great place to live and die....We are headed that way tomorrow or Fri for our annual Valentines vacation.

Have a good one guys!!!

Red the wife and I have been going to Maggie Valley every year for Valentines Day since we where married up that way( I have watched a lot of speed weeks while up there :laugh: ) last year we skipped do to being way to busy with the M/C and it looks like we may be in the same boat this year but like last if we do we will catch a week vacation up there sometime later this year :cool:

I hope y'all have a great trip !!

fj1200
02-06-2014, 08:58 AM

At least it won't break in classic Harley fashion by using it for its intended purpose.

Jeff
02-06-2014, 09:00 AM
At least it won't break in classic Harley fashion by using it for its intended purpose.

That's wrong in so many ways :laugh:

fj I am going to look at a Wide Glide this afternoon I think this may be the last one I ever buy :cool:

fj1200
02-06-2014, 09:06 AM
That's wrong in so many ways :laugh:

It's a shame that the guy didn't intend on riding it in the ever after... They didn't bury a mechanic with him. :rimshot:

I had a buddy that did an IT project at the Harley HQ and all the guys kept asking him if he wanted to buy their Harley. That confused him for a bit until he realized that they probably get huge discounts when buying new.

Jeff
02-06-2014, 09:30 AM
It's a shame that the guy didn't intend on riding it in the ever after... They didn't bury a mechanic with him. :rimshot:

I had a buddy that did an IT project at the Harley HQ and all the guys kept asking him if he wanted to buy their Harley. That confused him for a bit until he realized that they probably get huge discounts when buying new.

I bet they do , but man even with a discount some of those bikes are just ridicules, as for the mechanic NOT FUNNY :laugh: hell who am I kidding that was a good one :thumb:

glockmail
02-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Gosh I had a weird dream last night that I bought this huge Harley. My toes barely touched the pavement while sitting on the seat. Then I figured out it had an air suspension and I adjusted it to the lowest setting and it was right on. Would not go out of first gear though. :laugh: