PDA

View Full Version : New York City public school kids getting new holidays

jimnyc
02-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I renamed the title from the title on the article, as no way is this mean to be another thread about Muslims, or targeting anyone for that fact, other than DeBlasio perhaps.

We've had pretty much the same holidays (off of school) since I was a little kid. I honestly don't know how they decided which got honored and which didn't. But here we are today, and how do you decide which new holidays to add to the calendar of days off, if any? How do you choose one to be honored in such fashion and not another? Choosing one and not another will obviously insult some while making others happy. I have NO ISSUE with any of the holidays mentioned being recognized as such. Obviously each and every holiday cannot be days off of school, or the kids would go to school for like 9 days per year! Maybe population based? I think there are like 5% Muslim in the USA, whereas the Hindu population is like less than 1% (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Please lets not make this a bash Islam thread. I'm just baffled as to how this stuff is decided. Is it really just one man that ultimately decides this? He's not making any Indian friends, that's for sure!

And when does Festivus get a day off?

New York City is moving to close school for two Muslim holidays and the Lunar New Year — but Mayor de Blasio isn’t so sure about the Hindu festival Diwali.

Appearing on WNYC’s “Brian Lehrer Show” on Monday, the mayor said he hadn’t taken a position on whether Diwali, the festival of lights celebrated in India and other South Asian countries, should be a day off from school.

But he said he’d move forward with closing schools for Lunar New Year and for Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, Muslim holy days.

“It is complicated in terms of logistics and school calendar and budget. But it’s something I want to get done in a reasonable time frame,” he said.

A spokesman for the Indian community appealed to the mayor to recognize the Hindu holiday.

“We are disappointed. We’ve been trying for a long time … It’s very important for the community,” said Dr. Shashi Shah of the Association of Indians in America.

Ethnic communities have pushed for all four holidays to be recognized. Former Mayor Bloomberg opposed the change, saying kids should not miss more school.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/nyc-public-school-kids-new-holidays-article-1.1601237

red state
02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Not bashing muslums because much of this is not their doing......it is the doing of the anti-Christian pro leftist morally disconnected movement who have not only paved the way for dangerous cults that have proven detrimental to ANY society but to the bankruptcy of most cities, states and nations where such morally weak, stagnant partisanship and insanely ignorant philosophies have been applied.

jimnyc
02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Not bashing muslums because much of this is not their doing......it is the doing of the anti-Christian pro leftist morally disconnected movement who have not only paved the way for dangerous cults that have proven detrimental to ANY society but to the bankruptcy of most cities, states and nations where such morally weak, stagnant partisanship and insanely ignorant philosophies have been applied.

Or we could just say that DeBlasio is a no good liberal! :)

red state
02-04-2014, 05:24 PM
I personally feel that MOST liberals are 'no good' and are in fact an enemy of the US but I'll step back and allow others to participate with my personal closing statement that ANY liberal, moderate or so-called conservative who would disarm, stifle or force their unConstitutional will upon WE The People is a "no good, ROTTEN, enemy" and to be treated as such. The floor is now open and I wish ya'll the best in exchanges. Have a swell evening....

aboutime
02-04-2014, 06:12 PM
New York City is officially being renamed..."THE BIG (Rotten) APPLE".

The world is watching. And the only people who can afford to stay there are THE VERY SAME PEOPLE OBAMA despises.

But, as most of us...out here, away from the LOONY BIN DEMOCRAT strongholds know.

The END really is near for the BIG (Rotten) APPLE, when all of the tax payers leave, and there's nobody to pay for all the FREE STUFF.

jafar00
02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
You guys are so negative.

Good for them I say!

In Malaysia, a Muslim country they have official public holidays for Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Buddhists as well as other cultural holidays like Diwali and Chinese New Year. Everyone gets to celebrate and experience each other's culture and I for one think that is a great idea!

For instance, I had no idea before living in Malaysia that Hindus break coconuts in front of their temples to symbolise taking control of their base undesirable desires (ego). I just thought they were having a laugh.

Of course anything involving Muslims in your country brings out the right wing conspiracy theories so carry on. ;)

jimnyc
02-04-2014, 09:45 PM
You guys are so negative.

Good for them I say!

In Malaysia, a Muslim country they have official public holidays for Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Buddhists as well as other cultural holidays like Diwali and Chinese New Year. Everyone gets to celebrate and experience each other's culture and I for one think that is a great idea!

For instance, I had no idea before living in Malaysia that Hindus break coconuts in front of their temples to symbolise taking control of their base undesirable desires (ego). I just thought they were having a laugh.

Of course anything involving Muslims in your country brings out the right wing conspiracy theories so carry on. ;)

I agree with all of that - but what I'm pointing out here is one being given that public holiday, or holidays in this instance, while the other is not. I'm just curious as to how many are involved in this decision, and what process they go through in selecting one and not the other. For starters, if the Hindu community has been pressing for this for a long time, why were they denied?

logroller
02-05-2014, 04:21 AM
I'd give it to them, as long as everybody gets it-- days off are AWESOME!!!! I remember when there was some push back over MLK Jr day back in the 90's. Cris Rock said it best, you don't have to do black things if you don't want, you just don't work….in retrospect, that's kinda racist.

jafar00
02-05-2014, 05:48 AM
I agree with all of that - but what I'm pointing out here is one being given that public holiday, or holidays in this instance, while the other is not. I'm just curious as to how many are involved in this decision, and what process they go through in selecting one and not the other. For starters, if the Hindu community has been pressing for this for a long time, why were they denied?

It doesn't say only Muslims get that off. As I understand the limited story, all the kids would get the days off. It would be a great opportunity for the Muslim kids to invite their friends for a slap up iftar meal with them :)

jimnyc
02-05-2014, 07:52 AM
It doesn't say only Muslims get that off. As I understand the limited story, all the kids would get the days off. It would be a great opportunity for the Muslim kids to invite their friends for a slap up iftar meal with them :)

Oh, no doubt that ALL kids will enjoy the day off of school. And if the public gets off too, even merrier. But don't play a fox, you KNOW what I'm pointing at. The Hindu's (and I'm sure others) would like THEIR holidays recognized, and not just to get a day out of school based on another holiday.

jimnyc
02-05-2014, 07:58 AM
I'd give it to them, as long as everybody gets it-- days off are AWESOME!!!! I remember when there was some push back over MLK Jr day back in the 90's. Cris Rock said it best, you don't have to do black things if you don't want, you just don't work….in retrospect, that's kinda racist.

Yep, they'll of course all get to enjoy the holiday, and I would personally give it to them too (the ones granted thus far). And solely based on the story, I would also grant the Hindu holiday so as to be fair. If I were mayor, my concern would be that now you will have a request for like 20 more possibly. I honestly don't know for sure, what other major holidays are already not recognized, for other religions or peoples we may have forgot?

I know these 2 Muslim holidays, and they are HUGE if you're Muslim, and I believe they SHOULD be holidays. So that's behind us, and a good thing. But again, back to my point - how do you OK that - and then tell the Hindu's no? What happens when other religions step forward? And quite frankly, I wouldn't blame them. I do think that ALL should get some sort of recognition/holiday in order to be fair. But we know if we do that the kids will barely ever be in school. Maybe cut down on a few of the winter and spring breaks, and use them days for other holidays instead?

aboutime
02-05-2014, 06:17 PM

Or...those Muslim kids could use their day off for Explosive Vest training?:laugh::laugh:

5885Click to EXPLODE (enlarge)

logroller
02-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Or...those Muslim kids could use their day off for Explosive Vest training?:laugh::laugh:

5885Click to EXPLODE (enlarge)
Or they could troll internet message boards.

aboutime
02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Or they could troll internet message boards.

Just doing as your instructions say. Flattery is the most sincere form of...Logrolling.