PDA

View Full Version : Smoking urges

jimnyc
02-06-2014, 07:00 PM
It's been 3 years and over 4 months since I quit smoking cigarettes. Just a few moments ago, I felt fidgety and went to reach for a smoke. I don't have any cigarettes here of course, and my hands didn't even really physically "reach". It's just a quick impulse you feel go through your body and mind for a fraction of a second. But it makes me wonder, how long will this last? Will I have urges like that forever? It's no big deal, as it's not a bad feeling or uncomfortable. It's just odd that the mind still thinks of a routine, an addiction, or an urge, something that hasn't happened for well over 3 years. But I guess it's implanted in the noggin from a heavy habit that lasted well over 20 years.

How about other quitters in here?

aboutime
02-06-2014, 08:25 PM
It's been 3 years and over 4 months since I quit smoking cigarettes. Just a few moments ago, I felt fidgety and went to reach for a smoke. I don't have any cigarettes here of course, and my hands didn't even really physically "reach". It's just a quick impulse you feel go through your body and mind for a fraction of a second. But it makes me wonder, how long will this last? Will I have urges like that forever? It's no big deal, as it's not a bad feeling or uncomfortable. It's just odd that the mind still thinks of a routine, an addiction, or an urge, something that hasn't happened for well over 3 years. But I guess it's implanted in the noggin from a heavy habit that lasted well over 20 years.

Jim. IT NEVER REALLY...EVER GOES AWAY. If I happen to be near anyone who is a smoker, or they are in their car, while sitting at a traffic light (during warm weather). I can smell the cigarette, even as they pass.
I smoked a pack a day for almost 50 years before my heart attack.
QUITTING IS the hardest thing I have ever done.
And I would be lying if I said I DON'T WANT ONE...even after my doctor told me...IT WILL KILL ME.
Best thing I can tell you is. When you get the URGE. Just imagine NOT being around for your Children, wife, and other relatives....as they cry DURING YOUR FUNERAL.

Missileman
02-06-2014, 10:47 PM

I may be an exception to the rule, but I quit cold turkey 15 years ago January. I had a few urges in the first couple weeks, and I had a couple dreams where I snuck a smoke in and felt guilty about it in dream. Since then, never had any urge at all to pick one up. Not smoking is a habit with me now. Although the smell bothers me in certain situations, I can be around smokers with no issues.

jimnyc
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
I may be an exception to the rule, but I quit cold turkey 15 years ago January. I had a few urges in the first couple weeks, and I had a couple dreams where I snuck a smoke in and felt guilty about it in dream. Since then, never had any urge at all to pick one up. Not smoking is a habit with me now. Although the smell bothers me in certain situations, I can be around smokers with no issues.

Same here, I can hang in a room full of smokers, or be in a car with smokers, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest bit. It's just when at my computer and feeling fidgety, or sometimes after a good meal. :)

PostmodernProphet
02-07-2014, 11:24 PM
/hits Jim over head with baseball bat......"there, now you're not thinking about cigarettes"......

I'm still using my ecig....been over four years now......

WiccanLiberal
02-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Jimmy, my parents both quit on the same day, many years ago. They had watched chronic lung disease cause endless problems for my grandmother and decided they didn't want to have the same thing happen to them. I remember hearing, for the rest of their lives together, one or the other of them say they wanted a smoke, usually with breakfast and coffee. I think with a long standing habit, it is commonplace for most people to have the urge to resume it. The urge to do so becomes less frequent. For them, with no cigarettes in the house, they never gave in to it. And the longer it was since they quit, the more they had invested in staying that way.

aboutime
02-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Jimmy, my parents both quit on the same day, many years ago. They had watched chronic lung disease cause endless problems for my grandmother and decided they didn't want to have the same thing happen to them. I remember hearing, for the rest of their lives together, one or the other of them say they wanted a smoke, usually with breakfast and coffee. I think with a long standing habit, it is commonplace for most people to have the urge to resume it. The urge to do so becomes less frequent. For them, with no cigarettes in the house, they never gave in to it. And the longer it was since they quit, the more they had invested in staying that way.

WiccanLiberal. And, the greatest truth, and reality about NOT SMOKING anymore is....I get to wake up each morning without that terrible cough, and urge to grab a smoke...even before taking a leak (pardon me), or my coffee.
Not to mention how great it is....to still be here to witness SIX grandchildren growing up, and five of them calling me POP. Our sixth just turned 2 months on the sixth.
The investment in not smoking is also saving several THOUSAND dollars a year as well.

How can you go wrong with that?

Anton Chigurh
02-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Jim do you have dreams about smoking? Or, dreams where you wind up lighting up?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-09-2014, 12:39 AM

How about other quitters in here? My older brother quit about 35 years ago and he was at least a three pack a day guy. He quit on a bet and proved he had the ability to do so without ever going back. I know that's rare but others have done it as well. Quit and your life will be better and most likely be longer too. --Tyr