PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor

Abbey Marie
02-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned seeing this movie. I just saw it last night, and was in tears for a good bit of it. I also had to turn away a few times, as the injuries were so graphic. (Btw, we looked up the differences between the movie and survivor-SEAL Marcus Luttrell's book, and they were there, but I felt they were few).

The things these brave-beyond-words men do for our country are just phenomenal. It made watching all the glorifying of Olympic athletes today seem kind of childish in comparison.

I do really love a well-done battle movie, and I would rank this one way up near the top (Platoon being my all time favorite). For me, there is no film genre as compelling. I'd highly recommend seeing it if you can.

Abbey Marie
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Here's a fun read about Luttrell and what happened:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/luttrell.html

jimnyc
02-09-2014, 04:23 PM
I saw it, but long before it hit the theaters. I guess I was just too lazy to give a review. And doing so might have hinted as to how I saw it. :)

I know Wahlberg was adamant about working with Luttrell to ensure he knew him, that he knew what happened and had the facts straight. Walberg said he was humbled and could never do them justice for what they/he endured. But Luttrell signed off on it and said it was a great portrayal of what happened.

The movie itself, without spoilers, was non-stop action. These guys went through hell and back. Some seriously tough bastards! I suppose anyone finishing Seal training has got to be tough and have a set of 24 karat gonads.

It's hard to discuss without giving out spoilers. But if you like war movies, or the Navy Seals, you'll enjoy this flick.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Have not seen it yet. I will see it soon as I can, had it on my list to do soon but now want to see it even more..-Tyr

aboutime
02-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned seeing this movie. I just saw it last night, and was in tears for a good bit of it. I also had to turn away a few times, as the injuries were so graphic. (Btw, we looked up the differences between the movie and survivor-SEAL Marcus Luttrell's book, and they were there, but I felt they were few).

The things these brave-beyond-words men do for our country are just phenomenal. It made watching all the glorifying of Olympic athletes today seem kind of childish in comparison.

I do really love a well-done battle movie, and I would rank this one way up near the top (Platoon being my all time favorite). For me, there is no film genre as compelling. I'd highly recommend seeing it if you can.

Abbey. I haven't had the chance to see it. However. Living where I do, in a primarily Military community...one of the largest in the nation, and on the East coast.
Neighbors seem to remain quietly humble, and seem to feel One must experience it first hand...in the movie setting.
I do know what you mean about tears. We have been advised to take plenty of tissues.

darin
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
True story: My mother posted to FB about the movie. Said the cussing was so bad she walked out.

Just sucks she couldn't get over herself enough to be inspired by heroism.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2014, 02:48 PM
True story: My mother posted to FB about the movie. Said the cussing was so bad she walked out.

Just sucks she couldn't get over herself enough to be inspired by heroism.

Yes, there were a ton of four-letter words in the movie. But it all made sense and therefore didn't bother me at all. A guy surrounded and being shot at by rocket launchers, is naturally going to say these things. If they didn't curse, I think it would have seemed odd and staged.

I do tend to avoid comedies with raunchy, inane characters who also curse all the time.

logroller
02-24-2014, 12:01 AM
God made Luttrell out of one of Chuck Norris' ribs.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
God made Luttrell out of one of Chuck Norris' ribs. Spare rib would have been to much. Small right toe blessed by eternal touch. --Tyr