PDA

View Full Version : Justice for Nifong

06-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Apparently they disbarred him.

You know, I cant help but feel saddened. I mean the man deserved this consequence, but he could have done alot of good in his life if he had made better choices. He could have helped alot of people.

Instead, he sought power through deceit. and it cost him opportunities to serve. Its a real shame that he chose that path.

5stringJeff
06-17-2007, 10:33 AM
It is a shame that he did what he did. However, I applaud the decision to disbar him, and frankly, I hope he gets run out of town.

CockySOB
06-17-2007, 01:30 PM
It is a shame that he did what he did. However, I applaud the decision to disbar him, and frankly, I hope he gets run out of town.

The betting line has Nifong being indicted on criminal charges related to his actions in this case. The usual protections afforded to prosecutors will probably be withdrawn as he was acting outside of his office illegally. Moreover, I expect Durham and NC in general will try to make an example of Nifong to try to restore some of the credibility of their Department of Justice.

If I were the Duke boys, I'd hold off on their civil suits against him until after the criminal cases are underway. Then I'd ask for a continuance while the criminal case is resolved. That way any criminal convictions would be directly admissible in the civil suit as legal facts, and the civil suit becomes that much stronger.

Gunny
06-17-2007, 04:13 PM
The betting line has Nifong being indicted on criminal charges related to his actions in this case. The usual protections afforded to prosecutors will probably be withdrawn as he was acting outside of his office illegally. Moreover, I expect Durham and NC in general will try to make an example of Nifong to try to restore some of the credibility of their Department of Justice.

If I were the Duke boys, I'd hold off on their civil suits against him until after the criminal cases are underway. Then I'd ask for a continuance while the criminal case is resolved. That way any criminal convictions would be directly admissible in the civil suit as legal facts, and the civil suit becomes that much stronger.

Couldn't happen to nicer guy.

Abbey Marie
06-17-2007, 06:37 PM
He belongs in prison, IMO. Talk about bastardizing our justice system.

Gunny
06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
He belongs in prison, IMO. Talk about bastardizing our justice system.

Nah .... you don't make enough moeny in prison to spend the rest of your life not being able to work in your primary vocation paying off millions in legal fees for the lacross players.:laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-17-2007, 11:39 PM
This guy is introuble for prosecuting someone with money plain and simple.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Duke University settles with the three falsely accused boys. (http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/2007/06/duke-and-three-families-settle.html)

I bet we learn the amount of the settlement within a month. It appears that the Gang of 88 is getting protection from alumni monies.... Pretty sad. Of course teh settlement might include some "forced" retirements, but I doubt it.

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Those college students in no way were innocent.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Those college students in no way were innocent.

As a matter of law, they are.

Kathianne
06-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Duke University settles with the three falsely accused boys. (http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/2007/06/duke-and-three-families-settle.html)

I bet we learn the amount of the settlement within a month. It appears that the Gang of 88 is getting protection from alumni monies.... Pretty sad. Of course teh settlement might include some "forced" retirements, but I doubt it.

That group of 88 should not be held innocent, in many ways they were worse than Nifong. At least with him, the pandering to minorities was open, with the 88 it was 'cerebral' meaning meaningless. They too should be sued.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 03:17 PM
That group of 88 should not be held innocent, in many ways they were worse than Nifong. At least with him, the pandering to minorities was open, with the 88 it was 'cerebral' meaning meaningless. They too should be sued.

Oh I agree. I think the Gang of 88 should be sued individually for their statements, but I somehow expect that the settlement with Duke includes not pursuing any legal action against the 88.

I would however expect that if we watch the careers of the 88 over the next 4-5 years that most will leave Duke. I would guess that their research funding will dry up which is the death-knell for full-time professors at universities on par with Duke. I would also guess that some of the more vocal professors will retire for personal reasons within the next year or two.

The fact that Duke settled that fast indicates that they realized they bet the farm on a public relations incident and then lost.

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 03:22 PM
As a matter of law, they are.

Yea, but still they did do it.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Is that sarcasm? Or a statement of sincere belief?

Abbey Marie
06-18-2007, 03:46 PM

:smoke: :uhoh:

Mr. P
06-18-2007, 05:26 PM
This guy is introuble for prosecuting someone with money plain and simple.

You are kidding right?

5stringJeff
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Do what? Hire a stripper?

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Hey nevada! Why start a new thread about the Duke settlement when we're already discussing it here?

BTW, you never answered whether you were being sarcastic and I just missed it, or if you were being serious regarding the boys still not being innocent. Is this an attempt to run away from the question?

And could a moderator merge his new thread in US Current Events about the settlement into this one? It'd be appropriate I think.

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey nevada! Why start a new thread about the Duke settlement when we're already discussing it here?

BTW, you never answered whether you were being sarcastic and I just missed it, or if you were being serious regarding the boys still not being innocent. Is this an attempt to run away from the question?

And could a moderator merge his new thread in US Current Events about the settlement into this one? It'd be appropriate I think.

No, this thread was about the attorney being disbarred not about a law suit which the thread I started was.

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 09:23 PM
And yes I do believe they raped that girl. So they couldn't prove it by DNA. Just because the DA messed up doesn't mean they are innocent. Just about everyone who goes after soemone with money loses their job and gets sued.

shattered
06-18-2007, 09:24 PM
No, this thread was about the attorney being disbarred not about a law suit which the thread I started was.

:poke: You forgot to answer Cocky's question - again.

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
:poke: You forgot to answer Cocky's question - again.

I did answer it, I accidently posted it before I finished.

Gunny
06-18-2007, 09:29 PM
And yes I do believe they raped that girl. So they couldn't prove it by DNA. Just because the DA messed up doesn't mean they are innocent. Just about everyone who goes after soemone with money loses their job and gets sued.

Ummm ...dude, the DNA fished out of the woman didn't belong to any of the accused. IIRC, they identified several different DNA profiles, but none belonged to the accused, which pretty-much rules them out.

You have some OTHER evidence you wish to provide to support your allegation?

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Ummm ...dude, the DNA fished out of the woman didn't belong to any of the accused. IIRC, they identified several different DNA profiles, but none belonged to the accused, which pretty-much rules them out.

Nope I dont, but that doesn't mean anything.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Nevada probably didn't bother to actually watch the proceedings. There was only ONE thing "air-tight" in the case, and it wasn't Nifong's case against the boys.

http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/2007/06/professor-bannons-lecture.html

Bannon decimates the DNA theories. His testimony is worth a watch.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Post #8 in this thread covers the Duke announcement of the settlement which tied into an earlier post this thread wherein I speculate about the Gang of 88 and Duke's potential liability.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 09:37 PM

OK, so you're sincere in your belief that the boys aren't innocent of the charges originally proffered against them. How's the weather in your little land of delusion?

shattered
06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Now THIS is a good place for this stupid emoticon.

:popcorn:

Gunny
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM

You're kidding, right? It means that out of whoever had sex with this woman, the accused were excluded.

Nifong didn't just not have enough evidence, he had NO evidence. I can't even fathom how a man with as many years in the law trade as he has, and the obvious intelligence required to be a successful DA, could even begin to think he could get away with it.

Are you in the habit of convicting people with absolutely no evidence to support your allegation?

Gunny
06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
OK, so you're sincere in your belief that the boys aren't innocent of the charges originally proffered against them. How's the weather in your little land of delusion?

Yeah, I'm not getting it. Not only not enough evidence, but NO evidence? I guess someone needs to explain to me how they even get accused, much less are guilty.

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I'm not getting it. Not only not enough evidence, but NO evidence? I guess someone needs to explain to me how they even get accused, much less are guilty.

Well, it is easier to dismiss the facts when someone like Nevada can fall back on racist, sexist demagoguery. I mean why have the rule of law when you can have the rule of unsubstantiated allegation?

shattered
06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I think he's avoiding the thread now.

:laugh2:

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I think he's avoiding the thread now.

:laugh2:

If he's smart, he will. But if he honestly believes the boys were guilty of raping the girl, well... he can't be THAT smart now can he?

Gunny
06-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, it is easier to dismiss the facts when someone like Nevada can fall back on racist, sexist demagoguery. I mean why have the rule of law when you can have the rule of unsubstantiated allegation?

I guess. :laugh2:

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 10:04 PM
I guess. :laugh2:

Rather than "unsubstantiated allegation" I should have said "refuted allegation."

06-18-2007, 10:31 PM

They had more than a lack of DNA evidence. they had time stamped photos of them elsewhere at the time this supposedly happened and a changing story by the so called victim.

more likely the only reason the victim accused them is cause they had money and she was hoping to get some.