PDA

View Full Version : Rising intonation a possible informal subjunctive?

Tricky Dicky
02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Australian rising intonation is considered by many to be an annoying affectation and in many cases this is true. But listening to it in action recently, it stuck me that there may be more to it.
To recap: the subjunctive expresses doubt or uncertanty and in the absence of an optative mood, wishing. In the Latin languages this is produced by a different form ( vowel change ) of the standard verbs, in Russian by a marker word and German uses well known constructions.
In English we use either forms of the verb to be or the infinite of standard verbs. However this is all rather 'bookish' and perhaps generally not known other than in fixed phrases. Of course we paraphrase, but it would be convenient if we had a modificaion of the standard verb which can express doubt or desire. The following are examples:
I went to the club last night - rising tone. Meaning I'm not sure I should have perhaps you wish to ask why?
He went to the bar last night - rising tone. Meaning I don't know if he did.
They will give a christmas bonus this year as usual - rising tone. Meaning I don't know if they will, I hope so.

jimnyc
02-12-2014, 10:51 AM
I just read that whole thing and have no idea WTF I just read. That's not an insult, chalk it up to my stupidity. Quite frankly, I'm still stuck on the title. :(

CSM
02-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Australian rising intonation is considered by many to be an annoying affectation and in many cases this is true. But listening to it in action recently, it stuck me that there may be more to it.
To recap: the subjunctive expresses doubt or uncertanty and in the absence of an optative mood, wishing. In the Latin languages this is produced by a different form ( vowel change ) of the standard verbs, in Russian by a marker word and German uses well known constructions.
In English we use either forms of the verb to be or the infinite of standard verbs. However this is all rather 'bookish' and perhaps generally not known other than in fixed phrases. Of course we paraphrase, but it would be convenient if we had a modificaion of the standard verb which can express doubt or desire. The following are examples:
I went to the club last night - rising tone. Meaning I'm not sure I should have perhaps you wish to ask why?
He went to the bar last night - rising tone. Meaning I don't know if he did.
They will give a christmas bonus this year as usual - rising tone. Meaning I don't know if they will, I hope so.

Wow. You wrote all that to say that the way a person says something and the tone of their voice could indicate something more than the literal meaning of the words? Now I am really impressed.
Of course, the use of a period instead of an exclamation point could imply that I am not truly impressed at all. It could even be construed as sarcasm. Hmmmmm.....

tailfins
02-12-2014, 11:20 AM
I just read that whole thing and have no idea WTF I just read. That's not an insult, chalk it up to my stupidity. Quite frankly, I'm still stuck on the title. :(

I think he's trying to point out that different verbal emphasis means different things in different places. To my wife Russians seem like they are fighting with each other. Their normal tone sounds like an angry tone to her.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2014, 02:44 PM
I think he's trying to point out that different verbal emphasis means different things in different places. To my wife Russians seem like they are fighting with each other. Their normal tone sounds like an angry tone to her.

That is how I feel when I hear Chinese. Very loud, high-pitched and insistent-sounding. Surely they are arguing in the kitchen of the Chinese take out.

aboutime
02-12-2014, 05:20 PM
That is how I feel when I hear Chinese. Very loud, high-pitched and insistent-sounding. Surely they are arguing in the kitchen of the Chinese take out.

Abbey. Long ago, when I was much younger. I heard someone describe how the Chinese people name their children.

The answer....like your suggestion of an argument in the kitchen was.....

They DROP their silverware on the floor. And whatever sound it makes. That's what the new name becomes.:laugh:

KitchenKitten99
02-12-2014, 06:36 PM

jafar00
02-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Yeh it's annoying (rising tone). One reason I'm glad I spent enough time overseas to lose it (rising tone). ;)