PDA

View Full Version : Contest ideas

jimnyc
02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
I've been trying to come up with ideas for a contest, but I have 'ideas block' and can't think of anything worthy. Yes, admittedly the idea is to promote posting, and to promote some fun, if not some clean competition. I think something like "who posts most" would be lame. A one "best post" or similar wouldn't promote but a handful of posts. I want an idea that would get our regulars involved and WANTING to post, whether it be to simply be involved or to win the contest. I'm willing to pony up like $50 for a contest.

Ideas? Maybe you saw a good contest elsewhere in the past? I think it goes without saying that being politically related is a good idea, or at the very least related to our board.

aboutime
02-12-2014, 05:11 PM
I've been trying to come up with ideas for a contest, but I have 'ideas block' and can't think of anything worthy. Yes, admittedly the idea is to promote posting, and to promote some fun, if not some clean competition. I think something like "who posts most" would be lame. A one "best post" or similar wouldn't promote but a handful of posts. I want an idea that would get our regulars involved and WANTING to post, whether it be to simply be involved or to win the contest. I'm willing to pony up like $50 for a contest.

Ideas? Maybe you saw a good contest elsewhere in the past? I think it goes without saying that being politically related is a good idea, or at the very least related to our board.

Jim. How bout a contest where a member actually Proves...Obama hasn't lied?

Seems like there might be a large audience out there who is convinced Obama is as pure

as the DRIVEN SNOW....on Interstate 95 during Rush Hour.

tailfins
02-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Jim. How bout a contest where a member actually Proves...Obama hasn't lied?

Seems like there might be a large audience out there who is convinced Obama is as pure

as the DRIVEN SNOW....on Interstate 95 during Rush Hour.

Being stuck in traffic implies one has a job. Having a job is negatively correlated with supporting the Occupier of the White House.

aboutime
02-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Being stuck in traffic implies one has a job. Having a job is negatively correlated with supporting the Occupier of the White House.

Not really tailfins. Guess you've never been anywhere in this country where traffic has been jammed to full stop by....AN OBAMA MOTORCADE????

jimnyc
02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Contest ideas, not Obama causing traffic, ya dirty bastards!! :coffee: :beer:

aboutime
02-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Contest ideas, not Obama causing traffic, ya dirty bastards!! :coffee: :beer:

Just tryin' ta help Jim. Just tryin' ta help. I only suggested something that tailfins had to twist for his own satisfaction.

KitchenKitten99
02-12-2014, 05:29 PM

A 'virtual' game of Cards Against Humanity?

jimnyc
02-12-2014, 05:31 PM

'splain what ya mean? :dunno:

tailfins
02-12-2014, 05:51 PM

There's your problem right there. CLEAN competition will not generate interest. A chance to play dirty pool draws a bigger crowd.

KitchenKitten99
02-12-2014, 06:08 PM
'splain what ya mean? :dunno:

Here is the link to the actual card game. Each time I play, my soul dies a little inside. But it's fun and a great way to be as nasty as you can get and succeed for it.

Cards Against Humanity (http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/)

Since we all are not able to sit around a table together to play the real game, play it virtually. So, we each take turns 'drawing' a black card from the online PDF file. Then the rest of us put in the combinations we think will win the 'round'. The one with the most wins by a certain date wins. It could be for some kind of prize or just the glory of winning. This game played virtually could really get the NSA buzzers going, ha ha!

So here is an example of how it could be played 'virtually'. Download the pdf file the site gives you and print them out. Let's say I would be the one to start. I pick one of the Black cards. Let's say it is the one that says: "Instead of coal, Santa now gives the bad children _______"

Then the rest of the members here who have downloaded the file, pick from the White cards to use one to fill in the blank. This is where the nastiest part of your soul can come alive and do its' best to beat the others. So, let's say the White card phrase posted in response that I like most is "Leprosy", the point would be given to the one who posted 'Leprosy' as their answer.

Normally with the real cards, everyone draws 10 White cards so there are no duplicates and you can only pick from the cards in your hand but this situation isn't possible so we'll have to modify it by everyone just posting the 'card' text they want to use and then after the winner is chosen, the 'card' phrases are just crossed out on the printouts you have in your hand or on your desk or whatever.

Same goes for the Black cards. They can only be used once.

The other difference is that the order of the people drawing Black cards usually goes clockwise around the table being played at. This would be modified by creating a 'virtual' table in which those who wish to participate are put into a list at the beginning of the posting and we just round-robin with the names on the list. We can either go for time/date game finish or however many times we go through everyone's name (such as everyone 'draws' a Black card 5 times or 7 times, or whatever.

The winner is determined by who has the most 'points' at the end of the game.

aboutime
02-12-2014, 06:13 PM

KitchenKitten. No disrespect intended here but..., lately. Here on DP. Nearly every post by many who have chosen to help destroy America in any way...are also happily...and ALREADY playing such games AGAINST Humanity.

The card game sounds like a good idea, but it would occupy too much of our time. IMO, and we'd all spend less time actually helping Jim increase DP's popularity.

Then again. It's your suggestion to Jim. Best of Luck.

KitchenKitten99
02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
KitchenKitten. No disrespect intended here but..., lately. Here on DP. Nearly every post by many who have chosen to help destroy America in any way...are also happily...and ALREADY playing such games AGAINST Humanity.

The card game sounds like a good idea, but it would occupy too much of our time. IMO, and we'd all spend less time actually helping Jim increase DP's popularity.

Then again. It's your suggestion to Jim. Best of Luck.

Not sure what you mean by all that but my guess is you didn't read the cards on the PDF download...

aboutime
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Not sure what you mean by all that but my guess is you didn't read the cards on the PDF download...

Sorry KitchenKitten. But I have learned through many years about clicking on links. I finally did click on your link, and instantly learned...WHEN you click. THEY manage to gather your PC information, and create a COOKIE that remains on your PC for their benefit.

I'm sure the game is a happy one for many. But in today's threatening world of Hacking, and Phishing for Information. I decline.

KitchenKitten99
02-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Sorry KitchenKitten. But I have learned through many years about clicking on links. I finally did click on your link, and instantly learned...WHEN you click. THEY manage to gather your PC information, and create a COOKIE that remains on your PC for their benefit.

I'm sure the game is a happy one for many. But in today's threatening world of Hacking, and Phishing for Information. I decline.

Not sure how you deduced that but whatever. Then again, I don't keep anything on my laptop worth 'phishing' for anyway.

And...'happy game for many'...? Uh... okay.... :smoke:

fj1200
02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Cards Against Humanity (http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/)

+ What's up with the UK edition?
For the UK edition of Cards Against Humanity, we've rewritten about 15% of the game to adapt it to an outmoded culture.

:laugh:

KitchenKitten99
02-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I dunno about the UK one but I want to get it just to add to the original set. There are expansion sets too.

Abbey Marie
02-13-2014, 11:31 AM
For those who don't know the game:
Cards Against Humanity is definitely an adult game. My sister-in-law had us play it, with our daughter, and her kids and others. It is not a game I was comfortable playing in front of kids, even if they are young adults themselves. I wouldn't even read some of the cards out loud. It is crudely funny, though.

:eek:

KitchenKitten99
02-13-2014, 11:50 AM
For those who don't know the game:
Cards Against Humanity is definitely an adult game. My sister-in-law had us play it, with our daughter, and her kids and others. It is not a game I was comfortable playing in front of kids, even if they are young adults themselves. I wouldn't even read some of the cards out loud. It is crudely funny, though.

:eek:

Yes it is NOT a kids game. And you cannot be part of the professionally offended crowd either.

jimnyc
02-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Let's try and find an idea that would be more focused on posting on the board. We have a hard enough time doing that let alone getting members to download things and contribute in a different manner. Does sound fun though! Maybe we can eventually try that game anyway, but rather as a fun thread instead of a contest?

Abbey Marie
02-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Yes it is NOT a kids game. And you cannot be part of the professionally offended crowd either.

True; nor can you play it and follow the Bible's admonition against crude jesting. That's a tough one for many of us.

Perianne
02-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Just an idea. On my other forum, which I am probably leaving because of an influx of buttholes, I started a caption contest. I would post an interesting political photo, then give everyone a chance to add a caption to it. It went on for a week or so, and then everyone voted on the winner.

I thought it was a good idea, but there were few participants.

jimnyc
02-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Just an idea. On my other forum, which I am probably leaving because of an influx of buttholes, I started a caption contest. I would post an interesting political photo, then give everyone a chance to add a caption to it. It went on for a week or so, and then everyone voted on the winner.

I thought it was a good idea, but there were few participants.

We've had many of those here too, usually titled "Caption this". Never as a contest of course, just for fun. But this is closer to what I was thinking. I think things like this get people involved, but usually only long enough to give a quote and that's it. Or maybe a small paragraph entry, where those entering would write what the COTUS means to them. Or other types of topics that would be of interest. But if we tried something like that, who would do the voting? What do others think is a fair way of deciding something like that?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-13-2014, 10:52 PM
How about a competition to post best original short story, poem or short essay on any political topic. Broad enough to allow for a multitude of responses and perhaps set up a panel of mods admin only to judge for the best three then vote best one from that three . Of course allowing only one entry per contestant. As likely some of us could post dozens. -;) Myself, I would post an original new poem for submission. And I gather many other members here are intelligent enough to post great presentations. We do not have a shortage of gifted and intelligent members here. That's a fact.. Some are my staunch opposition even. ;) --Tyr

fj1200
02-14-2014, 07:56 AM
^The best ending to "roses are red, violets are blue..."
or "it was a dark and stormy night..."

And by best I mean worst. :poke:

KitchenKitten99
02-15-2014, 12:31 PM
How about a competition to post best original short story, poem or short essay on any political topic. Broad enough to allow for a multitude of responses and perhaps set up a panel of mods admin only to judge for the best three then vote best one from that three . Of course allowing only one entry per contestant. As likely some of us could post dozens. -;) Myself, I would post an original new poem for submission. And I gather many other members here are intelligent enough to post great presentations. We do not have a shortage of gifted and intelligent members here. That's a fact.. Some are my staunch opposition even. ;) --Tyr

But this would require me to think too hard and be too serious. I know I would not likely participate because with as much as I have going on in my life, I have no desire to do anything serious online like that.

I suggest keeping it fun and quick vs in-depth and serious.

WiccanLiberal
02-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Not sure if this will be useful but some friends on FB have been doing a thing with pictures, posting an artwork and anybody that likes is assigned an artist to post a work on their status. Here might be post a politically related image, a person or a headline even. The poster should comment on why the image is important. Then other posters would comment or thank. They would be assigned a person or topic to add. The poster who got the most total responses (positive or negative) would be the winner.

jimnyc
02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
But this would require me to think too hard and be too serious. I know I would not likely participate because with as much as I have going on in my life, I have no desire to do anything serious online like that.

I suggest keeping it fun and quick vs in-depth and serious.

Depends on the prize! If I'm gonna fork over $50 to the winner, I don't think a few to 3 paragraphs or so is too much to ask. If I were to do so myself, I would think it would cost me about 20-25 minutes or so to write what I would consider contest worthy entry or a short essay. If we were to do multiple, like say 10 individual but different contests, then quickies would work, perhaps.

jimnyc
02-15-2014, 03:09 PM

This is my favorite so far, and I like the short story or essay better than the poem idea, but only because I think people appreciate poems differently. But that's me, others may think differently. Maybe a 2-3 paragraph range. Give a time frame of 2-3 weeks or so, maybe a month, in case some don't have time at the moment. This would give ample time for someone to write as they go along perhaps and then submit later.

What I think will hold us back is interest. Wouldn't it make sense to say have a 10 person minimum entry? If only a tiny handful enter I think it takes the fun out of it. So I would like to find something all would agree on and we can fin about 10 people willing to get involved.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-15-2014, 05:00 PM
This is my favorite so far, and I like the short story or essay better than the poem idea, but only because I think people appreciate poems differently. But that's me, others may think differently. Maybe a 2-3 paragraph range. Give a time frame of 2-3 weeks or so, maybe a month, in case some don't have time at the moment. This would give ample time for someone to write as they go along perhaps and then submit later.

What I think will hold us back is interest. Wouldn't it make sense to say have a 10 person minimum entry? If only a tiny handful enter I think it takes the fun out of it. So I would like to find something all would agree on and we can fin about 10 people willing to get involved. Sorry , intended those three to be in the category competing against each other. I have no problem submitting a short poem or sonnet going up against a diverse selection of short stories or essays. Count me in what ever you guys decide. I think the purpose and inspiration to write is worth it regardless of winning the prize or not! Besides any person submitting must know no matter how great their submission is there can be only one winner. I wrote a very quick and short poem the night I found this thread and replied to it. I am sure we have enough really intelligent people here to get a competition going. I'd say a month sounds about right. Whatever you guys decide ok by me. GOOD LUCK TO ANY AND ALL THAT DECIDE TO PARTICIPATE. IF I READ A STORY OR POLITICAL ESSAY THAT BEATS MY OFFERING I'D VOTE FOR THAT STORY OVER MY OWN OFFERING ETC AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO DO THAT PUBICLY .. That is if the participants are allowed to participate in the judging process(voting) of course.. However I still think it a great idea even if only as little as two ,three or four submitted and would bet all offering would be very good regardless. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-16-2014, 07:00 PM

I suggest keeping it fun and quick vs in-depth and serious. Competition by nature are not fun and are serious. Of course a short story or essay shouldn't be hard at all. As Jim suggested 3 or 4 paragraphs should be rather easy. However I do understand the being busy part . Hope you can find the time if it happens. -Tyr

KitchenKitten99
02-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Competition by nature are not fun and are serious. Of course a short story or essay shouldn't be hard at all. As Jim suggested 3 or 4 paragraphs should be rather easy. However I do understand the being busy part . Hope you can find the time if it happens. -Tyr

Honestly then count me out cuz I did enough essays in high school and culinary school. I have zero desire to do it, even for money. Plus even though we have a variety of people on here with a range of viewpoints, most of us agree on most things in general so each entry would likely be similar, just with different words.

jimnyc
02-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Honestly then count me out cuz I did enough essays in high school and culinary school. I have zero desire to do it, even for money. Plus even though we have a variety of people on here with a range of viewpoints, most of us agree on most things in general so each entry would likely be similar, just with different words.

That's true to an extent, but by that logic, the majority of threads here would end up the same, but that doesn't happen. I think many here fall into similar groups, but even members of the same group can have varied and opposing viewpoints. I respect ya not wanting to repeat old school habits, but what we're talking about here would have been something that should take less than 20 minutes, and we haven't even began to discuss a subject yet! :)

I just don't think a contest which would take members mere seconds and/or input that would be one and done. The idea is to extend things a bit, get members talking. I think ANY contest we decide on is something that should take time, have members invest a little bit into it. I also understand not everyone is capable of setting aside such time, that's cool.

Kathianne
02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
That's true to an extent, but by that logic, the majority of threads here would end up the same, but that doesn't happen. I think many here fall into similar groups, but even members of the same group can have varied and opposing viewpoints. I respect ya not wanting to repeat old school habits, but what we're talking about here would have been something that should take less than 20 minutes, and we haven't even began to discuss a subject yet! :)

I just don't think a contest which would take members mere seconds and/or input that would be one and done. The idea is to extend things a bit, get members talking. I think ANY contest we decide on is something that should take time, have members invest a little bit into it. I also understand not everyone is capable of setting aside such time, that's cool.

So what topics are floating around out there? Have a list or everyone addresses one or free form?

jimnyc
02-17-2014, 01:19 PM
So what topics are floating around out there? Have a list or everyone addresses one or free form?

Honestly haven't thought of topics yet, as I wasn't sure we could get more than 3-4 people willing to even make a lengthy post to enter! We could go with the usual main topics, or something more along the lines of a current event. Or an entirely different contest idea still!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 01:48 PM
So what topics are floating around out there? Have a list or everyone addresses one or free form? I think free form is the way to go. Let each author choose their own presentation subject. If its uninteresting or bad writing they will lose. Make it so more people can feel comfortable offering a presentation go with free form and let each author choose what interests them--variety is the spice of life IMHO. Also could offer a set list to go with and allow anybody to reject that list offering their own subject. -Tyr

jimnyc
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
I think free form is the way to go. Let each author choose their own presentation subject. If its uninteresting or bad writing they will lose. Make it so more people can feel comfortable offering a presentation go with free form and let each author choose what interests them--variety is the spice of life IMHO. Also could offer a set list to go with and allow anybody to reject that list offering their own subject. -Tyr

You and I, today, just for fun! No contest, just a 3 paragraph essay or opinion piece on a particular subject. Even if we are similar in beliefs, I'm betting the writing style is different. And people can have identical beliefs and have different stories to tell. Anyway, what subject? Let's have some fun with it at least! You pick the subject and I'll start writing, both to be submitted by end of day? You judge mine and I'll judge yours. LOL

We can do a poem too. How about we make any poem we want, no limitations or anything, but it has to be based on politics. I'm actually going to mess with that now. You do the same. We can both be laughed at together! :lol:

jimnyc
02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Poem finished. Had to go grab a coffee refill, but this one took about 90 seconds. Don't forget to applaud!! :thanks:

Obama sucks
Pelosi is retarded
they get together in congress
and then the constitution is disregarded

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 02:33 PM
You and I, today, just for fun! No contest, just a 3 paragraph essay or opinion piece on a particular subject. Even if we are similar in beliefs, I'm betting the writing style is different. And people can have identical beliefs and have different stories to tell. Anyway, what subject? Let's have some fun with it at least! You pick the subject and I'll start writing, both to be submitted by end of day? You judge mine and I'll judge yours. LOL

We can do a poem too. How about we make any poem we want, no limitations or anything, but it has to be based on politics. I'm actually going to mess with that now. You do the same. We can both be laughed at together! :lol:
ok , you are on. I'll do the poem first if you do not mind. Bear in mind the poem has a political message as well.-- Post it in a few minutes. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 03:12 PM
The Lord of Hosts must forever shield. the Heart, Soul and Lives it's patriots that never yield. A war eternal and above man's brutal power. never ceasing for second, minute or hour. Rampaging from man's savage and distant past. fueled by the Dark Lord's first and last gasp. Slaying millions as it flowed along with time. eternal as a poet's rhythm and rhyme. Into modern world's blinding seasons. of war, strife and ever lost reasons. Politics begin the execution of the true. men of valor and courage must give their due. To the beast feeding night and day. while hiding in it's bloody feet of clay. A hunger for the death of millions more in its way. shining brightly for it to embrace and play. Dark Lord sent to give a false relief. to those that seek in man's errant belief. Of the glory to save one and all. from death, destruction and the Great Fall. The Lord of Hosts must forever fight. those rushing to banish God's saving light. Cease not to beseech and pray. for the coming of the Savior's returning day. -Tyr

jimnyc
02-23-2014, 03:23 PM
ok , you are on. I'll do the poem first if you do not mind. Bear in mind the poem has a political message as well.-- Post it in a few minutes. -Tyr

What subject for our "essay"?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 03:36 PM
What subject for our "essay"? How about 1. mistakes the dem much heralded hero FDR made? 2. or Why the dems attack Christianity and defend Islam ? 3. Or why government seeks to first disarm us? -Tyr

jimnyc
02-23-2014, 03:44 PM
How about 1. mistakes the dem much heralded hero FDR made? 2. or Why the dems attack Christianity and defend Islam ? 3. Or why government seeks to first disarm us? -Tyr

I know shit about FDR. I'm one of the biggest supporters of the COTUS and the 2nd, but not good enough to write about. I'll have to give a whack at #2, but no one better bite me for railing on Islam or bringing up a never ending subject! But I don't think my writing will be negative, but rather my explanation. We shall see. I painted myself into this corner and will now look like a dumbass with no writing skills! :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Poem finished. Had to go grab a coffee refill, but this one took about 90 seconds. Don't forget to applaud!! :thanks:

Obama sucks
Pelosi is retarded
they get together in congress
and then the constitution is disregarded Short , sweet and dead on. :clap: -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 03:47 PM
I know shit about FDR. I'm one of the biggest supporters of the COTUS and the 2nd, but not good enough to write about. I'll have to give a whack at #2, but no one better bite me for railing on Islam or bringing up a never ending subject! But I don't think my writing will be negative, but rather my explanation. We shall see. I painted myself into this corner and will now look like a dumbass with no writing skills! :) ha, fully expect that you'll trounce me easily. My only saving grace is what I lack in writing skill I somewhat make up in passion and presentation of truth. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Jim, I have some chores to do but will check back later on your essay.

aboutime
02-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Jim, and All. Like most of you. I have little confidence in actually presenting ANY KIND of essay here; knowing how unprofessional, and equally unfamiliar I have become with IMPRESSING other members who claim to be so Perfect with the use of words, grammar, spelling, and politically correct language crap.

I fear, as most of us might. Instead of anyone enjoying our attempts at writing a viable essay. Our traditional, always perfect...in every way....members would become the harshest critics, and, instead of actually comprehending what WE ARE TRYING TO SAY...would do as every traditional Liberal, Whiny, Patronizing member does...ignoring our Intent, and being critical of the grammar instead.
I could go on. But, I do think you know what I mean to say here.
With no disrespect intended to the context, and idea of presenting a Contest thread by Jim.

jimnyc
02-23-2014, 05:25 PM
I changed my mind and wrote a shorty about the 2nd amendment and why some government knuckleheads would like to disarm us. I am starting off my writing with a few quotes from Ronald Reagan, one of my idols.

There is little doubt that the founding fathers thought they should have this right, and for a very specific reason: They distrusted government. All of the first 10 amendments make that clear. Each of them specifies an area where government cannot impose itself on the individual or where the individual must be protected from government.

The second amendment gives the individual citizen a means of protection against the despotism of the state. Look what it refers to: "The security of a free state." The word "free" should be underlined because that is what they are talking about and that is what the Constitution is about--a free nation and a free people, where the rights of the individual are pre-eminent. The founding fathers had seen, as the Declaration of Independence tells us, what a despotic government can do to its own people. Indeed, every American should read the Declaration of Independence before he reads the Constitution, and he will see that the Constitution aims at preventing a recurrence of the way George III's government treated the colonies.

"You and I know and do not believe that life is so dear and peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. If nothing is worth dying for, when did this begin...? ...Should Moses have told the children of Israel to live in slavery under the pharaohs? Should Christ have refused the cross? Should the patriots of Concord Bridge have thrown down their guns and refused to fire the shot heard 'round the world?"

Gun control is prevalent, not because gun deaths are so rampant or endemic to society, but because the American people have forgotten two very important lessons: (i) being alive means you will die and (ii) freedom means risk.

I will start with number two. Given the freedom of the mentally ill and the convicted criminals of our society to avoid incarceration, there is risk that they will impact the life of the rest of society. You can look up the statistics yourself if you care to actually learn the truth, but the simple fact is that no one has ever died from a gun unless it was fired by a person. Some are accidental, yes, but typically someone decides to kill. And that someone is almost always a criminal with a past history of illegal activities or a mentally unstable person who many people recognized warning signs but were powerless to do anything to intervene. I do not discount the tragedy a family faces when a loved one is killed by violence. But freedom ain't free...it costs, and in this instance the freedom of the criminal and the mentally unstable has a price- it's the risk that they will spiral out of control and kill someone.

The knee-jerk reaction is to curtail the freedoms of everyone, rather than doing the hard work to either weed out those posing the greatest risk or picking up the pieces afterwards. It makes liberals feel good to say that they apply the law evenhandedly, regardless of the efficacy of their laws. And the people who use guns to murder always find ways absent guns. So the liberal argument is to cry, "but they kill fewer people at once". That would be a persuasive argument if only the liberals outlawed motor vehicles, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, obesity, or any other means of death. Let's also remember, too, that while the gun control proponents will refuse to accept this, gun control has been proven ineffective against gun violence.

Now let's move on to reason one. No one wants to die. No one, certainly, wants to die "before their time". But some risks are deemed worth it: driving a motor vehicle, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, legalizing marijuana, sky diving, swimming, being the Crocodile Hunter. Hell, I'd venture to say that eating is a risk too, given the obesity epidemic in the country.

Personally, the risk of gun violence does not outweigh the risk that the government can trump all the rest of my "rights" through force. I will never need Jack Daniels to protect my family. There is no scenario when a cigarette becomes a life saver. And, honestly, while I need to eat, there certainly is not a need for me to have chocolate in order to sustain life.

But I may need a gun to fend off a criminal attack or a rabid dog or - be it ever so far away - I may need a gun to defend myself, my family and my country from attack.

I am sure there are those who snicker "who needs a gun when there are police and armies?" Well, I guess the answer lies in the question...who are these people and who is supplying them with armament?

If it is the yanks versus rebels, than I will need some way to defend myself. If it is a terrorist who infiltrates our cities, then I will need some way to defend myself.

If it is my ally, then I just won't shoot them.

jimnyc
02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Jim, and All. Like most of you. I have little confidence in actually presenting ANY KIND of essay here; knowing how unprofessional, and equally unfamiliar I have become with IMPRESSING other members who claim to be so Perfect with the use of words, grammar, spelling, and politically correct language crap.

I fear, as most of us might. Instead of anyone enjoying our attempts at writing a viable essay. Our traditional, always perfect...in every way....members would become the harshest critics, and, instead of actually comprehending what WE ARE TRYING TO SAY...would do as every traditional Liberal, Whiny, Patronizing member does...ignoring our Intent, and being critical of the grammar instead.
I could go on. But, I do think you know what I mean to say here.
With no disrespect intended to the context, and idea of presenting a Contest thread by Jim.

No problemo! And don't worry about grammar, spelling and the other crap, not unless you are criticizing another on the same. I think the point is to make a statement with the words. I don't normally post like that, as if it's a homework assignment, or for greater effect - unless it's a contest or something I am REALLY passionate about and want to make a huge point about it. Anyone that would critique/condemn anything that we write, is MORE than welcome to make a rebuttal or their own writing to share with us! :)

By the way, we're just doing it for fun now. Regardless of any great idea we may come up with, or crappy one, it doesn't appear to be much interest. So we generate our own little party. :)

Abbey Marie
02-23-2014, 05:36 PM
If we get tired of political writings, perhaps we could explore this:

What you thought were your spouse's most important/best intangible/non-physical qualities when you first knew him/her, and what you think now. And why you thing those may or may not have changed. Could be in paragraph form, or a poem.

ETA: Not really a contest; more of an interesting discussion, and a way for us all to appreciate anew (or not) our choices.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 07:28 PM
again..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 07:31 PM
As the advancement of progressive(leftist) ideas gained traction and power in this nation they needed a strongly established means of presentation. What better than a merger with the Democratic party after having experienced so many failures of opening offering their candidates with so little reward? This was accomplished (primarily 60's, 70's and 80's) and the socialist advancement proceeded even faster than was hoped for. They now had the perfect cover for instituting their political ideas into our culture by way of party candidates, Federal government control of our Education system. This melding was in perfect sync with the moral decay the rightwing, the Republican party was being hit with due to its inability to take a firm stand on adhering to Constitutional principles and the Christian morality which had given this nation its greatness and power.
Meanwhile Islam in America was moving forward and gaining influence faster than even its faith had hoped for. The same decay that weakened the Republican party and the Christians had allowed Islam to fill in the chinks in the armor while increasing their political influence by leaps and bounds. With Islam's centralized goals an alliance with the Democrats/leftists became the next obvious choice. For what better ally than one that was already battling your enemy? One you already knew and had shown great success at deceiving and even intimidating? One that viewed victory at any costs to be a righteous path?
How they established the alliance was to start funding the new Leftist /Dem party candidates and social causes, establishing organizations like CAIR etc. Thus gaining attention , for nothing talks so great as does money. Especially true with democrats. As the meetings of finance continued the gifted Dem party had to ask - what do you want for your money? The answer was the freedom to attack a common enemy = Christians and the Constitution. Now decades later we see the culmination of that effort in the election of Obama and his policies and inclusion of many radical Islamist in very high level Federal government positions. We see it in a President _Obama) seeking to oust in Syria the established government in favor of terrorist radicals (Al Qaeda elements) that by Law all Americans are forbidden too aid.
The Christians have been called irrelevant and worthy of contempt by this same President . While he declares we are not a Christian nation! And acts as if we are Muslim nation with his favors and speeches. Yet he pays homage to Islam and demands ever greater respect for it.. A truth any may find if they truly search for truth. --Tyr again..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-23-2014, 08:28 PM

What you thought were your spouse's most important/best intangible/non-physical qualities when you first knew him/her, and what you think now. And why you thing those may or may not have changed. Could be in paragraph from, or a poem.

ETA: Not really a contest; more of an interesting discussion, and a way for us all to appreciate anew (or not) our choices. When I first knew my wife it was a long distance romance. We communicated by written mail , phone and live chat on line with camera to be able to see each other. I saw a kind and thoughtful person that did not know just how beautiful she truly was. As many ,many months passed I saw a person that struck me to be faithful and true with her words. After two long years we had both made up our minds that each was committed to living forever with the other. We spent another year planning our actual meeting and last chance after meeting face to face to change our minds if we had so decided. We laugh about it now but until one has walked down the aisle its still up for grabs. She got her visa , I flew her here and a month after she arrived we got married. In ten months it will be ten years!
As to what has changed! Everything.. We are deeper in love, more committed than ever and have a beautiful 7 year old son. She loves me despite my many weaknesses and fondness for irritating her. I love her for being the very best person I've ever meet that was not family. May sound mushy but its the God's honest truth. And best of all she is very intelligent and we can discuss many worldly things if we ever get bored just "monkey dancing" all the time. ;)--I aint never too tired except the week of my heart attack ! Took an earth shattering long ten day break. Man was it hard. :laugh:--Tyr

jimnyc
02-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Gun control is prevalent, not because gun deaths are so rampant or endemic to society, but because the American people have forgotten two very important lessons: (i) being alive means you will die and (ii) freedom means risk.

I will start with number two. Given the freedom of the mentally ill and the convicted criminals of our society to avoid incarceration, there is risk that they will impact the life of the rest of society. You can look up the statistics yourself if you care to actually learn the truth, but the simple fact is that no one has ever died from a gun unless it was fired by a person. Some are accidental, yes, but typically someone decides to kill. And that someone is almost always a criminal with a past history of illegal activities or a mentally unstable person who many people recognized warning signs but were powerless to do anything to intervene. I do not discount the tragedy a family faces when a loved one is killed by violence. But freedom ain't free...it costs, and in this instance the freedom of the criminal and the mentally unstable has a price- it's the risk that they will spiral out of control and kill someone.

The knee-jerk reaction is to curtail the freedoms of everyone, rather than doing the hard work to either weed out those posing the greatest risk or picking up the pieces afterwards. It makes liberals feel good to say that they apply the law evenhandedly, regardless of the efficacy of their laws. And the people who use guns to murder always find ways absent guns. So the liberal argument is to cry, "but they kill fewer people at once". That would be a persuasive argument if only the liberals outlawed motor vehicles, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, obesity, or any other means of death. Let's also remember, too, that while the gun control proponents will refuse to accept this, gun control has been proven ineffective against gun violence.

Now let's move on to reason one. No one wants to die. No one, certainly, wants to die "before their time". But some risks are deemed worth it: driving a motor vehicle, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, legalizing marijuana, sky diving, swimming, being the Crocodile Hunter. Hell, I'd venture to say that eating is a risk too, given the obesity epidemic in the country.

Personally, the risk of gun violence does not outweigh the risk that the government can trump all the rest of my "rights" through force. I will never need Jack Daniels to protect my family. There is no scenario when a cigarette becomes a life saver. And, honestly, while I need to eat, there certainly is not a need for me to have chocolate in order to sustain life.

But I may need a gun to fend off a criminal attack or a rabid dog or - be it ever so far away - I may need a gun to defend myself, my family and my country from attack.

I am sure there are those who snicker "who needs a gun when there are police and armies?" Well, I guess the answer lies in the question...who are these people and who is supplying them with armament?

If it is the yanks versus rebels, than I will need some way to defend myself. If it is a terrorist who infiltrates our cities, then I will need some way to defend myself.

If it is my ally, then I just won't shoot them.

So no constructive criticism or complaints? No questions?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-24-2014, 11:05 AM

What you thought were your spouse's most important/best intangible/non-physical qualities when you first knew him/her, and what you think now. And why you thing those may or may not have changed. Could be in paragraph form, or a poem.

ETA: Not really a contest; more of an interesting discussion, and a way for us all to appreciate anew (or not) our choices. Ok a poem. My wife , my son's mother A rare beauty like no other So very special so many ways Pray to be with her until end of my days Not just her beauty makes her shine Tis' her gentle caring heart joined with mine A light that invades every room she does enter The joy of spring after a long and weary winter Those eyes that speak so very loud Her love that makes me proud To love her , surely God did bless Sweet kisses and gentle caress An answer to my healing I did pray She flew in to forever stay As a family we are now eternally together With her by my side all storms are but nice, sunny weather. ;) -Tyr

jimnyc
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM

ETA: Not really a contest; more of an interesting discussion, and a way for us all to appreciate anew (or not) our choices.

Similar to Tyr, mine started as a long distance relationship, but closer. I was in NJ and she was still in Virginia. She had awesome boobs! Ok, ok, I kid, I kid! I noticed right off the bat that she was adorable. She was also responsible. She was very intelligent. I'm extremely attracted to intelligence. She took care of herself and was a 'preppy girl'. She didn't smoke or do anything wrong that I was aware of. She was the 'anti-me', almost opposite in every aspect, except for maybe taste in music and football.

Now, after 20+ years of marriage, I hate her. Ok, I kid, I kid again! LOL

She's still adorable, and when she can keep away from me she is still very responsible, and likely the reason I am not in jail or homeless. She's still extremely smart (just shy of me) and she still has a preppy way about her at times, but some has given way to more business like. She's still never done anything wrong, that I'm aware of. We are more alike now though. Slowly but surely I have brought her over to the dark side.

And if you're reading this woman, I AM getting a kitten!! :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-24-2014, 11:26 AM
My wife , my son's mother A rare beauty like no other So very special so many ways Pray to be with her until end of my days Not just her beauty makes her shine Tis' her gentle caring heart joined with mine A light that invades every room she does enter The joy of spring after a long and weary winter Those eyes that speak so very loud Her love that makes me proud To love her , surely God did bless Sweet kisses and gentle caress An answer to my healing I did pray She flew in to forever stay As a family we are now eternally together With her by my side all storms are but nice, sunny weather. ^^^^^^ Thanks Abbey for giving me cause to be inspired to write and to reflect on just how blessed I am to finally have found a truly good woman. I read Jim's offering and see it does happen to we that have been so blessed. Over the years I have read Abouttime speak of his dear wife and how much he loves and adores her. I want that as Riza and I grow older. I truly get so much reading and posting here. Not the least of which is friends I've made here. Hell, I even admire and like some of my opposition, who says an old dog can't mellow out a bit! :laugh: I am thinking of making a gift card with that quick poem on it and giving it to my wife this coming tenth anniversary along with the nice silver and pearl earrings she wants. Think it a good plan? -Tyr

Abbey Marie
02-25-2014, 11:42 AM
^^^^^^ Thanks Abbey for giving me cause to be inspired to write and to reflect on just how blessed I am to finally have found a truly good woman. I read Jim's offering and see it does happen to we that have been so blessed. Over the years I have read Abouttime speak of his dear wife and how much he loves and adores her. I want that as Riza and I grow older. I truly get so much reading and posting here. Not the least of which is friends I've made here. Hell, I even admire and like some of my opposition, who says an old dog can't mellow out a bit! :laugh: I am thinking of making a gift card with that quick poem on it and giving it to my wife this coming tenth anniversary along with the nice silver and pearl earrings she wants. Think it a good plan? -Tyr

Tyr, that's not a good plan.

It is an excellent plan! She will love it. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-25-2014, 01:57 PM
So no constructive criticism or complaints? No questions? Not from me. I sincerely thought it to be a much better presentation than mine. :beer:--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Tyr, that's not a good plan.

It is an excellent plan! She will love it. Thanks fro sharing with us. Thanks. Now I will have to tweek it a bit . I wrote in about 5 minutes and see room for some minor improvements. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Outdoor Prose for All Seasons

Postby Tyr-Ziu Saxnot » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 pm

UNTITLED AND UNFINISHED

Summer is gone , the chill starts anew

Often I think again of you

Blessings I wish tossed across your path

Your kindness will be missed during winter's wrath

The beauty of winter's finest snow

Pales when compared to that of garden's rose

So unlike you not to drop a line

I'm doing ok and maybe just fine

Spring comes again I'll think of you

Say a prayer for me that'll do. ---Z.

Re: Outdoor Prose for All Seasons

Postby Tyr-Ziu Saxnot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Fleeting Shadows Moonlight Mists , I Reject That Deathbringing List

Fleeting glimpses, much like visions of foggy distant shores
flashing about , vanishing behind imaginary doors
Shadows of death scurry while waiting ever vigilant calls of fate
echoes of gilded ages past with which one can relate
Moonlight stirs the spirit into a splendorious coming out
ever searching as a soul snatching eternal scout
Mists of vanishing forms dancing shadows within a brilliant flash
mind and spirit leap forth only to fall deep into a fiery crash
You feel the glow and embrace the forthcoming lightning bolt
often missing the vision but never the life ending jolt
Reject with cries but still doomed to the same triumphant measure
stopping man's brief interludes of shallow pleasure
That stir the soul and birth memories of heavenly wicked joy
guilt, greed and sins embraced by every girl and boy
Deathbringing shadows travel within such arcs of invincible power
man's vanity but a imaginary wisp of a crumbling tower
List your many transgressions and sign the blessed eternal waver
for refusal is the devil's delight and greatest favor. --TZS

Death knocks it's hello by way of our friends and relatives. An old friend that seeks to find our measure.
I refuse to shake such a shallow and unworthy hand
At least that's better than accepting the invitation to join such a wicked band... :wink: --Tyr Found these just rummaging around , hope some may enjoy. Written one year after my heart attack. -Tyr