View Full Version : Political satire: All people spy on each other

reedak
02-14-2014, 01:28 AM
This fictitious story took place in a remote village where people used to bathe in a nearby river. To keep all the people, particularly the womenfolk, safe during bathing, the village elders enacted a law stipulated that anybody caught peeping at the opposite sex during bathing would get one stroke of the cane by the village chief.

Lately, an increasing number of women complained that they were being spied upon by a masked voyeur hiding among the tall grass at the river bank. Not only had the women, the men had also complained they were being spied upon during bathing.

A group of young men decided to set a trap to catch the peeping Tom. They got a few female relatives to bathe in the river while they hid at strategic locations near the river. After a while, they saw a masked figure creeping like a rat towards the tall grass at the river bank.

The leader of the group shouted: "Catch him! Catch him!" At once, all the other men surrounded the hiding place of the masked voyeur. The peeping Tom put up a fierce struggle but was finally overpowered by the young men.

When they removed the mask, they found that the voyeur was their village chief. Showing no sign of repentance, the village chief shouted at them: "What's all the farce about? All people spy on each other, even on friends."

By now, all the other villagers heard the commotion and flocked to the river bank. Among them was the village chief's brother who was often at loggerheads with him. Surprisingly, he defended the village chief this time: "Big Brother, you should stop apologizing, stop being defensive."

Turning to the crowd that had gathered around the village chief, he said: "My brother is not doing this for the fun of it. The reality is he has saved many lives not just in my family but also in your families and throughout the whole village.”

The village chief's cousin also came to his defence: "This type of action keeps our people safe. What happens if potential terrorists try to fool us by disguising as our people with amazingly lifelike, custom-made latex masks? When they wash their faces during bathing, they may unwittingly unmask their real identity."

revelarts
02-14-2014, 06:38 AM
good one.

then a couple of villagers complained that the boys that caught the Chief were "TRAITORS, who should be killed, and no one should take the law in their own hands".
And the Chief added, "and anyway if the women are doing nothing wrong they have nothing to hide. Plus the film i take will never leave my house."

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-14-2014, 07:15 AM
good one.

then a couple of villagers complained that the boys that caught the Chief were "TRAITORS, who should be killed, and no one should take the law in their own hands".
And the Chief added, "and anyway if the women are doing nothing wrong they have nothing to hide. Plus the film i take will never leave my house." First was a good one but your reply top it. Had me laughing hard. Especially "film never leaving my house part"! - :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: -Tyr

fj1200
02-14-2014, 08:12 AM
This fictitious story...

... was at least short enough to read. :poke:

It started out pretty good though but fell apart when you made the conclusion to obvious. Something about the village chief having to reprimand himself would have been better IMO.

reedak
02-15-2014, 02:19 AM
good one.

And the Chief added, "and anyway if the women are doing nothing wrong they have nothing to hide. Plus the film i take will never leave my house."

Thanks for your humorous addition to my fairy tale. You make a very good writer for this type of satires. I look forward to your fairy tales in this forum.

reedak
02-15-2014, 02:27 AM
First was a good one but your reply top it. Had me laughing hard. Especially "film never leaving my house part"! - :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: -Tyr

Thanks for your comment. I can see that the puppy in your avatar is also enjoying the story. It is laughing hard although we can't hear the laughter. :laugh:

reedak
02-15-2014, 03:43 AM
... was at least short enough to read. :poke:

It started out pretty good though but fell apart when you made the conclusion to obvious. Something about the village chief having to reprimand himself would have been better IMO.

Thanks for your valuable comment. In my original version, I concluded the story in the following way without explaining why the village chief's voyeurism "kept his people safe":

"The village chief's cousin also came to his defence: 'This type of action keeps our people safe.'"

After reading the story a few times, I was worried that the readers might find the statement made by the village chief’s cousin puzzling and illogical with no explanation. Hence, in the current version I concluded the story with his cousin’s explanation why the village chief had to spy on his people during bathing.

All my fairy tales are political satires of actual political events. This fictitious tale is no exception. In the actual political event, the country showed no apology for its action. Hence, I did not conclude the story with the chief apologizing or reprimanding himself.