R.I.P. ‘The Waltons’ Patriarch Ralph Waite

Deadline.com
By THE DEADLINE TEAM
13 hours ago
R.I.P. ‘The Waltons’ Patriarch Ralph Waite

Deadline.com
By THE DEADLINE TEAM
13 hours ago

The man who played the patriarch on CBS’ long-running series The Waltons has died. Ralph Waite was 85. He also had been recurring since 2008 as Papa Gibbs, the father of Mark Harmon’s character, on NCIS. “Everyone at NCIS is deeply saddened by the passing of our friend and colleague Ralph Waite,” the show’s cast and crew said in a statement sent out by CBS tonight. “Ralph was family to us, a tremendous talent and a very special man. We truly cherish the time we had with him. Our hearts and prayers go out to his loved ones.” He also recurred on Bones as the grandfather of David Boreanaz’s character, played Father Matt in nearly 100 episodes of Days Of Our Lives and appeared in Grey’s Anatomy, CSI, Cold Case and The Practice.

Related: R.I.P. ‘Little House’ Actor Richard Bull

But Waite was best known as “Daddy” on The Waltons. He starred for nine seasons on the Depression-era drama as John Walton Sr., who eked out a living at the family lumber mill on Walton’s Mountain. He scored an Emmy nom for the role in 1978 and also directed more than a dozen episodes of the hour long series, which ran from 1972-81 and was followed by a series of telefilms.

Waite’s acting credits date to the mid-1960s. He appeared on TV series including Bonanza and N.Y.P.D. and later as slave ship mate Slater in the landmark miniseries Roots, a key supporting role that earned Waite his first Emmy nom. He also worked on the big screen, including roles in films ranging from Cool Hand Luke and Five Easy Pieces to The Bodyguard and Cliffhanger. The White Plains, NY, native also starred in the mid-’80s CBS drama The Mississippi and did arcs on Steven Bochco’s Murder One and HBO’s Carnivale. Waite unsuccessfully ran for Congress in 1990, vying for the seat from California’s 37th District, which includes Mid-City and West Los Angeles Always thought he was a great actor. He seemed to fit those kind of roles so effortlessly. As a kid he reminded me of my grandfather , wise and full of advise about this evil 'ole world! -Tyr

tailfins
02-14-2014, 11:01 AM
If you go to Schuyler, VA to commemorate The Waltons, the restored home is a better destination than the museum. The home is being kept up with pride and happy to see tourists. The museum is run down and staffed by people that don't want to be bothered. In case anyone doesn't know this, the real family portrayed by The Waltons was Hamner. The restored home is the real Hamner home last lived in by James, who was portrayed as Jim-Bob in the series.

tailfins
02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Here is a link to Earl Hamner, Sr., the person Ralph Waite played on The Waltons:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10159570

You can see by his 1899 birth year, that his age matched pretty well with the show, meaning he was in his thirties during the depression.

Kathianne
02-14-2014, 08:08 PM
I liked the Walton's, though I remember Ralph Waite more now for being the father of Gibbs on NCIS and Booth's grandpa on Bones. ;)

jimnyc
02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Goodnight Ben, goodnight Elizabeth. goodnight John Boy...

I liked the Walton's, though I remember Ralph Waite more now for being the father of Gibbs on NCIS and Booth's grandpa on Bones. ;)

I always loved him in The Waltons, but took a great liking to his acting in NCIS, although a lesser role. He always had a wholesome way about himself. By today's standards, The Waltons would be considered boring or lame, can't be having all of those great family qualities going across the tube!

RIP :salute:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Goodnight Ben, goodnight Elizabeth. goodnight John Boy...

I always loved him in The Waltons, but took a great liking to his acting in NCIS, although a lesser role. He always had a wholesome way about himself. By today's standards, The Waltons would be considered boring or lame, can't be having all of those great family qualities going across the tube!

RIP :salute: Here in the South it was --THE-- show to watch during its time. It represented the best of American values and was based upon the lives of real people. I am sure he was proud of having been a huge part of it. THE MAN WAS A CLASS ACT IMHO. -Tyr

SassyLady
02-17-2014, 01:07 AM
I wonder how NCIS is going to write this into the story line. Gibbs was just beginning to reconcile with his dad.

Loved the Waltons ... good, wholesome family values type of show.

Kathianne
02-17-2014, 01:34 AM
I wonder how NCIS is going to write this into the story line. Gibbs was just beginning to reconcile with his dad.

Loved the Waltons ... good, wholesome family values type of show.

That's what I was thinking. Ongoing on Bones too! 'Grandpa' raised Booth, was in process of helping both of them with the past.

hjmick
02-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Damn.

Jeff
02-19-2014, 08:58 AM
May he R.I.P.

I loved this show back in the day, shows like this, Little House ( you get the picture ) where always good, if nothing else they where easy to follow and always had a wholesome feeling. Now a Days I have been watching Doctor Mike ( Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman ) between this show and the buying shows, Buying Alaska ( my favorite ) Buying the Bayou ....ect that is what my TV tunes into :laugh: in fact I have them recorded on Tivo :laugh: