PDA

View Full Version : 49 of 50 States Have Snow as Drifts Pile Up

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-15-2014, 08:24 AM
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deep-freeze/49-50-states-have-snow-drifts-pile-n29966
49 of 50 States Have Snow as Drifts Pile Up
By Gil Aegerter Folks along the East Coast complaining about more than a foot of new snow — piled on top of already large season totals — should know that winter isn’t picking only on them: 49 of the 50 states had some snow on the ground on Thursday.

Only Florida escaped a white mantle, according to a National Weather Service map of snow depth for the day.

Of course, that might not totally console places like Pilot, Va., which got more than 27 inches in the latest storm, according to weather.com.

Even typically balmy places in the South weren’t immune: Some 3.5 inches fell in Corinth, Miss., as the storm that paralyzed parts of the region.

Many cities in the Midwest and Northeast have seen total snowfall exceed the average by several times.

By the beginning of this week, Chicago had received more than 60 inches for the season. And Detroit received 39.1 inches in January, the city’s snowiest month ever. The city now has more than 70 inches total. Its all-time snowiest season was 1880-1881, when 93.6 inches were recorded.
In the Northeast, towns and cities near some of the nation’s biggest metro areas were struggling with more than a foot of snow from the latest storm.

More than 12 inches had fallen at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, and in Newark, N.J., more than 14 inches had been reported by Thursday morning, bringing the city's season total to 53 inches.

New York City has passed 51 inches for the season — it typically gets 16.4, the weather service says. Below was the look in New York's Orange County, and at the Fanwood, N.J., train station (courtesy of NBC News' John Makely). CHECK THIS OUT RECORD OUT --
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24723401/canceled-airlines-scrap-record-number-of-flights#axzz2tOeH0WGY Canceled! Airlines scrap record number of flights NEW YORK (AP) — The relentless snow and ice storms this winter have led to the highest number of flight cancellations in more than 25 years, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.

U.S. airlines have canceled more than 75,000 domestic flights since Dec. 1, including more than 14,000 this week. That's 5.5 percent of the 1.37 million flights scheduled during that period, according calculations based on information provided by flight tracking site FlightAware.
Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24723401/canceled-airlines-scrap-record-number-of-flights#ixzz2tOeoJinQ

I am going to guess that is a first 49 out of 50 states !! Sure looks like global cooling to me.. ;) Imagine how the global warming loons would be playing it if 49 out of 50 states had drought or A 100 DEGREE DAY!!! ?

Kathianne
02-15-2014, 08:35 AM
If the article had said 48 contiguous states, might be a pass on factual.

However, 49 out of 50? FL the exception? So Hawaii has snow? Really?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-15-2014, 08:40 AM
If the article had said 48 contiguous states, might be a pass on factual.

However, 49 out of 50? FL the exception? So Hawaii has snow? Really?
Yes, my friend Hawaii has snow .. The post is factual.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/02/13/snow-cover-usa/5454645/ Where's the snow? On the ground in 49 of 50 states Snow is on the ground in 49 out of the 50 states — only the Sunshine State of Florida is completely snow-free, according to a map produced Thursday morning by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

(This doesn't mean that those 49 states are snow-covered, of course, only that some part of each state has snow.)

Although this map doesn't show it, there is snow in Hawaii, where webcams are showing snow on the high peaks of the mountain volcanoes of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.

HAWAII SNOW: Webcam from peak of volcano

The map also doesn't include Alaska, but it's a given that most of that state is snow-covered this time of year. A quick check with the National Weather Service forecast office in Fairbanks found 19 inches of snow on the ground there

Kathianne
02-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Okay, points taken. OTOH, this is a stretch for anything beyond 'odd news,' as the snow may remain in many places for hours, a day at most. ;)

I don't buy into man caused global warming, the use of articles like this one for those purposes is about as useful as the opposition's blaming extreme cold on extreme heat.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Okay, points taken. OTOH, this is a stretch for anything beyond 'odd news,' as the snow may remain in many places for hours, a day at most. ;)

I don't buy into man caused global warming, the use of articles like this one for those purposes is about as useful as the opposition's blaming extreme cold on extreme heat. I agree. --Tyr
Sure looks like global cooling to me..;) Imagine how the global warming loons would be playing it if 49 out of 50 states had drought or A 100 DEGREE DAY!!! ? ^^^^ Had to get in that dig. Perhaps you missed the little wink. ;)-Tyr

jimnyc
02-15-2014, 02:32 PM
I think the majority of the snow all fell in my driveway. Maybe other places literally got a larger snowfall, but then I think the drifts took it to my driveway. :(

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-15-2014, 06:03 PM
I think the majority of the snow all fell in my driveway. Maybe other places literally got a larger snowfall, but then I think the drifts took it to my driveway. :( haha, felt that way once myself. Back in the late 70's early 80's we got a big snow storm here. I lived in a rented house back then with no attached garage to shield my car. Got up one morning and it was covered by a snowdrift about 4 ft high. That may be small as east coast standards go but it was massive for this area. I had no snow shovel and had to use a regular shovel to dig my car out. The kicker was the wind chill that day was below zero. My wife stood there at our front bay window watching me dig like forever with that damn tiny shovel. I came in with hands frozen and pissed as hell with no way to let off steam. Then after a shower my wife (then=ex-now) had the audacity to ask me to go out and get her a pan full of clean snow so she could make ice cream! Needless to say she got her own damn snow and I damn sure didn't want any ice cream. We had no baby girl then so to hell with the ice cream... -Tyr