PDA

View Full Version : To boycott or not - the new Israeli question

mrg666
06-17-2007, 03:26 PM
To boycott or not - the new Israeli question

Pressure for sanctions on Israeli goods is widening. Forty years after the Six-Day War, unions, academics and journalists are locked in furious debate about the tactic. Peter Beaumont, foreign affairs editor, reports
Every Friday Gila Svirsky is to be found dressed in black jeans and T-shirt at one of Israel's major road junctions, in a silent vigil, carrying a placard that says simply: 'Stop the occupation.'
Those in her group - Women in Black - have been abused, sometimes violently, since they began their protests almost 20 years ago. Her activism against the occupation touches all areas of her life. She does not drink wine or buy food or other goods produced by Jewish settlers on land under Israeli occupation.

'I went to buy a sofa recently,' she says. 'I didn't think about it at first. But then when I had my credit card out, I thought, maybe there is possibility that it was made in the Territories. So I thought, I better ask. And the salesman said: "Oh! It was made in this wonderful settlement called Barkan." I said: "No sale". He looked really shocked.'
Svirsky believes in boycotting the Israeli occupation. But she cannot support proposed boycotts of Israeli academics by Britain's University and College Teachers' Union, or of Israeli goods by the National Union of Journalists.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world...099497,00.html

Said1
06-17-2007, 03:46 PM
To boycott or not - the new Israeli question

Pressure for sanctions on Israeli goods is widening. Forty years after the Six-Day War, unions, academics and journalists are locked in furious debate about the tactic. Peter Beaumont, foreign affairs editor, reports
Every Friday Gila Svirsky is to be found dressed in black jeans and T-shirt at one of Israel's major road junctions, in a silent vigil, carrying a placard that says simply: 'Stop the occupation.'
Those in her group - Women in Black - have been abused, sometimes violently, since they began their protests almost 20 years ago. Her activism against the occupation touches all areas of her life. She does not drink wine or buy food or other goods produced by Jewish settlers on land under Israeli occupation.

'I went to buy a sofa recently,' she says. 'I didn't think about it at first. But then when I had my credit card out, I thought, maybe there is possibility that it was made in the Territories. So I thought, I better ask. And the salesman said: "Oh! It was made in this wonderful settlement called Barkan." I said: "No sale". He looked really shocked.'
Svirsky believes in boycotting the Israeli occupation. But she cannot support proposed boycotts of Israeli academics by Britain's University and College Teachers' Union, or of Israeli goods by the National Union of Journalists.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world...099497,00.html

Can't access the rest of the article.

mrg666
06-17-2007, 03:51 PM
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2099497,00.html

try that
it looks to be the same link but this works other did not

Gaffer
06-18-2007, 06:46 PM
How about boycotting the pals? Oops, that's right, they don't produce anything. Unless your in the market for a cheap rocket with no guidance system. Too bad they are boycotting Israel and costing jobs that the pals fleeing into Israel from gaza could be doing.

The pals in gaza are even asking for Israel to step in and drive hamas out of gaza, who'da thunk it.

Dilloduck
06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
How about boycotting the pals? Oops, that's right, they don't produce anything. Unless your in the market for a cheap rocket with no guidance system. Too bad they are boycotting Israel and costing jobs that the pals fleeing into Israel from gaza could be doing.

The pals in gaza are even asking for Israel to step in and drive hamas out of gaza, who'da thunk it.

May as well boycott the US. What's the difference?

nevadamedic
06-18-2007, 11:00 PM

:laugh2: