PDA

View Full Version : All is not well in Ukraine

jafar00
02-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Despite what our western mainstream news is telling us, all is not well in Ukraine despite the President being deposed.

1/2 the country wants to be with Russia, the other half wants to go with Europe and sees the events in Kiev as a Russian takeover.

It looks like civil war is brewing at least according to what my Russian speaking friends have told me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El4oSwTwk8U

jimnyc
02-23-2014, 06:59 PM
I've been watching a ton of the video on Liveleak. I'm sure the protesters aren't fully innocent, and I have seen plenty armed, but the government seems to be taking out a lot of them with snipers, and then shooting those who try to go help those who were shot. I've seen a medic shot, as well as women. The scenes are brutal. I also saw a video of all the police cowering behind their shields while the protestors shot at them, then a grenade was tossed in and I saw the foot of a cop go up in the air and drop down. And most of this was AFTER they supposedly reached a deal.

I don't claim to know who is wrong/right and what's happening over there. I'm only seeing videos being sent in non-stop. But either way it's a place I wouldn't want to be right now, or if I was I surely wouldn't be out on the streets.

jafar00
02-24-2014, 12:08 AM
I've been watching a ton of the video on Liveleak. I'm sure the protesters aren't fully innocent, and I have seen plenty armed, but the government seems to be taking out a lot of them with snipers, and then shooting those who try to go help those who were shot. I've seen a medic shot, as well as women. The scenes are brutal. I also saw a video of all the police cowering behind their shields while the protestors shot at them, then a grenade was tossed in and I saw the foot of a cop go up in the air and drop down. And most of this was AFTER they supposedly reached a deal.

I don't claim to know who is wrong/right and what's happening over there. I'm only seeing videos being sent in non-stop. But either way it's a place I wouldn't want to be right now, or if I was I surely wouldn't be out on the streets.

I don't think anyone buys the illusion that the protesters are just peaceful citizens wanting a change. They are heavily armed and the police responded in kind so I guess they made themselves targets. Nobody can accuse the police of being heavy handed here.

I don't think there is a wrong or right here either. Just a country that has disintegrated and is only going to get worse.

The world we live in is like this. Venezuela is also having trouble. Poland may spark off soon too. Yemen and Saudi Arabia are also having sporadic bouts of protests followed by brutal subjugation by police. There is a power struggle going on that runs deeper than we plebs realise.