PDA

View Full Version : Son of God

jimnyc
02-26-2014, 11:07 AM
So who is going to go see it?

This film brings the story of Jesus' life to audiences through compelling cinematic storytelling that is both powerful and inspirational. Told with the scope and scale of an action epic, the film features powerful performances, exotic locales, dazzling visual effects and a rich orchestral score from Oscar®-winner Hans Zimmer. Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado portrays the role of Jesus as the film spans from his humble birth through his teachings, crucifixion and ultimate resurrection.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WcIXCok9HPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trigg
02-26-2014, 01:14 PM
looks interesting

Abbey Marie
02-26-2014, 04:55 PM
I suppose it's no surprise that I am? :cool:

BTW, this is the same actor who portrayed Jesus in the well-done Bible mini series by produced by Mark Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey. He does an excellent job. And that series was not a victim of the usual Hollywood nonsense.

jimnyc
02-26-2014, 06:09 PM
I suppose it's no surprise that I am? :cool:

BTW, this is the same actor who portrayed Jesus in the well-done Bible mini series by produced by Mark Burnett and his wife, Roma Downey. He does an excellent job. And that series was not a victim of the usual Hollywood nonsense.

You going this weekend? I'm thinking about it, but want to get a review or 2 in first. :)

Abbey Marie
02-26-2014, 09:25 PM
We probably will, I will let you know. :D

(Btw, this movie was apparently made from the mini-series. So, if you saw that, it might befamiliar).

jafar00
02-26-2014, 10:10 PM
It looks terrible. From the trailer it appears to be just a Hollywood dramatisation not based on any reality.

logroller
02-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Spoiler alert -- He dies.

I'll see it at some point but I'm usually disappointed with such films. I just hope it doesn't focus too much on His suffering and sacrifice; such tends to upstage Christ's message of God's coming Kingdom IMO.

Nukeman
02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
It looks terrible. From the trailer it appears to be just a Hollywood dramatisation not based on any reality.
Why would you say that?? Is it due to the fact that Muslims do not "believe" Jesus was the son of God or are you just anti-Christian movies?

jimnyc
02-27-2014, 09:28 AM

I thought it looked good. Yes, definitely Hollywood puts their touch on it, probably some extra drama... but the events I've seen in the various clips are in fact based on the bible.

Abbey Marie
02-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Spoiler alert -- He dies.

I'll see it at some point but I'm usually disappointed with such films. I just hope it doesn't focus too much on His suffering and sacrifice; such tends to upstage Christ's message of God's coming Kingdom IMO.

Having seen the mini-series, it is a very good rendering of His life. But in any event, the suffering/death/resurrection was the key to everything that comes afterward, especially our salvation, so as long as His teachings are included, I don't see how it can be over-emphasized. John 3:16 and all...

aboutime
02-27-2014, 02:30 PM

jafar. TAKE NOTE....Unlike a comic author who drew a likeness of ALLAH, and was instantly threatened with DEATH because of it. You never see any of that horrible, threatening from Christians for basically...the same...as you say...dramatization??????

Hypocrisy comes in many forms. And you...as expected...preach it so well.

jafar00
02-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Why would you say that?? Is it due to the fact that Muslims do not "believe" Jesus was the son of God or are you just anti-Christian movies?

That and the acting and production values are terrible. If you want to see a film about a religious figure made correctly and according to religious texts, see "The Message" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074896/
The film shows the proper respect for the Prophet (saw). I don't think this new Jesus film does him any justice.

jimnyc
02-27-2014, 06:37 PM
That and the acting and production values are terrible. If you want to see a film about a religious figure made correctly and according to religious texts, see "The Message" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074896/
The film shows the proper respect for the Prophet (saw). I don't think this new Jesus film does him any justice.

I agree about The Messenger, as a movie. I have the 2 CD set and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Anthony Quinn is awesome.

I don't see how this movie or 'Passion' would be disrespectful. They both show many, many teachings of the bible. I can speak for Passion entirely since I saw it, and don't think I could come up with much that was left out, or shouldn't have been put in, and everything was from in the bible. I haven't seen this movie in it's entirety yet, I would say I've seen about 6 minutes based on trailers and stories, as well as a lot of reading. I don't see anything that disrespects Jesus or his teachings. Doing him justice is spreading his word. If done truthfully throughout & is in fact based on the bible, then I can't imagine much better ways to get the message out. Not all teaching can happen via a book at a religious institution. I'll reserve further critique +/- until after I see the movie.

jafar00
02-27-2014, 10:28 PM
I agree about The Messenger, as a movie. I have the 2 CD set and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Anthony Quinn is awesome.

I don't see how this movie or 'Passion' would be disrespectful. They both show many, many teachings of the bible. I can speak for Passion entirely since I saw it, and don't think I could come up with much that was left out, or shouldn't have been put in, and everything was from in the bible. I haven't seen this movie in it's entirety yet, I would say I've seen about 6 minutes based on trailers and stories, as well as a lot of reading. I don't see anything that disrespects Jesus or his teachings. Doing him justice is spreading his word. If done truthfully throughout & is in fact based on the bible, then I can't imagine much better ways to get the message out. Not all teaching can happen via a book at a religious institution. I'll reserve further critique +/- until after I see the movie.

I don't agree with any person playing a Prophet of Jesus's standing. How could any man approach portraying his greatness?

Abbey Marie
02-27-2014, 11:06 PM

You are basing all of this criticism on just seeing the trailer? That seems quite presumptuous. You simply cannot make those sweeping judgments based on a trailer.

And, I have seen the entire mini-series from whence this movie came, and it has good "production values", and the acting by the man who played Jesus was inspiring. He did a wonderful job in a difficult role.

I am no longer surprised by non-believers' harsh reactions to anything said or done about Jesus. It is the way of the future.

jimnyc
02-28-2014, 06:58 AM
I don't agree with any person playing a Prophet of Jesus's standing. How could any man approach portraying his greatness?

I agree that no one can, but for one to try, and to try and document what took place, I don't think is insulting. Of course no one will ever be as great as Jesus, but I don't think that's what they are shooting for. They are not trying to duplicate him, but rather tell a story, inform, educate.

I don't think anyone could duplicate any prophet either, to include Muhammed. And even though they never showed his face, there is more to the greatness than a likeness. And I didn't find Messenger insulting, and I thought they did right by Islam and Muslims. IMO it's the same thing, a story being told, events being recreated and retold. The only major difference was that out of respect for Islam, they refused to put a depiction of Muhammed on the screen.

darin
02-28-2014, 07:01 AM
I typically dislike Christ-themed movies featuring a white/caucasion actor and brittish accents. "Look at the WHITE Jesus saving all the Arab-looking folk!" Ruins the whole thing for me. The Passion of the Christ worked VERY well, however - no other Christ-centric movie can come close.

jimnyc
02-28-2014, 07:12 AM
I typically dislike Christ-themed movies featuring a white/caucasion actor and brittish accents. "Look at the WHITE Jesus saving all the Arab-looking folk!" Ruins the whole thing for me. The Passion of the Christ worked VERY well, however - no other Christ-centric movie can come close.

I don't think ANY Christ based movie will ever top Passion. That's why Gibson went with the Aramaic and Latin and accents. He wanted to ensure the realism. But we/I still may be able to learn more from this movie, and of course entertained at the same time. I'm not like everyone else, as in I lack in the full knowledge of our religion. I read the bible, but still lack the knowledge. I can learn more visually than I can from reading. I just needed my wife to watch Passion with me to help me learn and to ensure it was all bible related when I had questions. :)

darin
02-28-2014, 08:47 AM
I don't think ANY Christ based movie will ever top Passion. That's why Gibson went with the Aramaic and Latin and accents. He wanted to ensure the realism. But we/I still may be able to learn more from this movie, and of course entertained at the same time. I'm not like everyone else, as in I lack in the full knowledge of our religion. I read the bible, but still lack the knowledge. I can learn more visually than I can from reading. I just needed my wife to watch Passion with me to help me learn and to ensure it was all bible related when I had questions. :)

Do not worry about The Passion being all-bible-related. Doesn't matter to the story. The message of the story advances beyond what specific words are chosen, or speculation about what Christ said, thought, etc.

For example - in one scene Jesus builds a table - and his mom wonders why it's so high!

Did that interaction happen? There exists NO biblical reference - yet it doesn't matter towards the point of the story. Jesus likely loved his Mother and Father here on earth - and his siblings - like you or I would love those people.

Of VASTLY more importance than what is even written in the bible is the message the writers of the bible want us to know. I believe that message is this:

Love people. Loving people IS loving God. Loving people drives kind acts and thoughts and words. Loving people drives humanitarian causes. Loving people drives striving for FREEDOM from oppression. Loving people could mean even electing leaders that HELP people vs those we have now who HURT people. :)

jimnyc
02-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Of VASTLY more importance than what is even written in the bible is the message the writers of the bible want us to know. I believe that message is this:

Love people. Loving people IS loving God. Loving people drives kind acts and thoughts and words. Loving people drives humanitarian causes. Loving people drives striving for FREEDOM from oppression. Loving people could mean even electing leaders that HELP people vs those we have now who HURT people. :)

I couldn't agree more, very well said!

Abbey Marie
02-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Do not worry about The Passion being all-bible-related. Doesn't matter to the story. The message of the story advances beyond what specific words are chosen, or speculation about what Christ said, thought, etc.

For example - in one scene Jesus builds a table - and his mom wonders why it's so high!

Did that interaction happen? There exists NO biblical reference - yet it doesn't matter towards the point of the story. Jesus likely loved his Mother and Father here on earth - and his siblings - like you or I would love those people.

And the hardest thing to do, as we appear to be built to be self-loving above all else. As I grow older, the thing I notice most by far about people's behavior these days is how incredibly, overwhelmingly, stunningly selfish we are.

Jeff
03-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I went last Friday night and seen the movie, I thought it was great, just my opinion but I liked it.