PDA

View Full Version : How stupid, more censorship

jimnyc
02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Granted though, this is self censorship.

Katy Perry, who I am no fan of, and have no interest in. She lets out a new song and video, and immediately it is labeled "blasphemous" and a petition is made to force a change. She went along with it, as I'm sure she's concerned about $$$ down the road. But really, people need to get lives and remember what freedom of speech is. If you don't like what she sings or what's in her videos, simply don't listen or tune in.

Apparently signing an Internet petition can actually achieve a desired result.

Katy Perry's video for her chart-topping song "Dark Horse" has been edited to remove an Arabic reference deemed blasphemous by a Change.org petition.

Shazad Iqbal, 22, posted the complaint, demanding that the video be removed from YouTube. "At 01:15 into the video Dark Horse; a man is shown being burned, whilst wearing a pendant (also burned) forming the word 'Allah,' which is the Arabic word for God," he wrote.

Iqbal describes Perry's Cleopatra-inspired persona as an opposition to God that "engulfs the believer and the word God in flames."

http://i.imgur.com/RDIAVUH.jpg

Perry's video went online a week ago. The petition followed a few days later and has received more than 60,000 supporters. On Wednesday, Iqbal and his supporters declared victory: A new version of Perry's video uploaded to her YouTube and Vevo channels has digitally scrubbed the offending pendant.

Iqbal credits the petition with prompting the change.

"We couldn't have done it without everyone's support so I thank each and every one of your deeply, our voices have been heard!" Iqbal wrote.

Perry dismissed any ill intent in a statement, saying she was "just trying to give a beautiful performance about a place I have so much love for … with no other thought besides it."

The controversy has received mixed reactions on Twitter:

http://i.imgur.com/v8X2rYt.jpg

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-news/playing-with-magic-backfires-on-katy-perry-s--dark-horse--video-183042137.html

aboutime
02-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Isn't this kind of thing the same as that FOREIGN cartoonist in Sweden, or Norway who posted a CARTOON of MOHAMMED?

And the Muslim's who began chasing him, declared he needed to be BEHEADED?

Is that what Perry did?

Censorship from the Obama administration...PURE AND SIMPLE. Say anything negative about Muslim's, Islam, or Obama...and you can expect either a visit from the IRS, or CAIR...demanding the destruction of you, your family, and favorite TURDS.

logroller
02-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Granted though, this is self censorship.
... people need to get lives and remember what freedom of speech is. If you don't like what she sings or what's in her videos, simply don't listen or tune in.

IMO, Free speech doesn't mean, if you don't have anything nice to say about another's expression, you say nothing and blacklist them from your playlist.

Personally, I don't care what Perry does or says (nor Miley or Bieber etc etc), but I suppose I'm not her (or their) target audience, so I'm sure the feeling is mutual. But if I were, I'd tell her I don't like it so she can, if she so chooses, deliver more of the songs that I enjoy.

jimnyc
03-01-2014, 07:13 AM
IMO, Free speech doesn't mean, if you don't have anything nice to say about another's expression, you say nothing and blacklist them from your playlist.

Personally, I don't care what Perry does or says (nor Miley or Bieber etc etc), but I suppose I'm not her (or their) target audience, so I'm sure the feeling is mutual. But if I were, I'd tell her I don't like it so she can, if she so chooses, deliver more of the songs that I enjoy.

Of course the listeners have the free speech too - but they used it to try and ban/change another persons freedom of speech. They didn't just nicely ask for a chance, they tried to get it banned from Youtube as they disagreed.