PDA

View Full Version : Charges dropped, Mass. agency says actively working to return Justina Pelletier to CT

tailfins
02-28-2014, 03:33 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blogs/white-coat-notes/2014/02/28/state-agency-says-actively-working-return-justina-pelletier-connecticut/LC9tDimNCROWHGsjuxWtAO/blog.html

jimnyc
02-28-2014, 04:36 PM
I still don't get this entire thing. Taking a child away from their parents/family had better be a last resort, and be more than warranted, and I just don't see it in this case. I could have understood perhaps some court ordered treatment, that the family might have had to abide by. But to just take away the kid and toss her in a psych ward? In a nutshell, here is the entire case, and no way in hell does this support the child being removed.

Justina’s parents have long insisted that their daughter suffers from mitochondrial disorder, a group of genetic ailments that affect how cells produce energy, often causing problems with the gut, brain, and muscles. Justina’s physicians at Tufts had been treating her for this illness for about a year, saying she exhibited many of its symptoms though they were still in the midst of determining whether she had a clear-cut case of this disorder.

Then last February, Justina was brought to Children’s Hospital after suffering severe intestinal issues, and having trouble walking. Doctors there, in a matter of a few days, concluded that her problems were primarily psychiatric, and that her parents were ignoring the root cause of her problems and pushing for unnecessary medical interventions.

When the parents sought to discharge Justina, the hospital filed medical child abuse charges, which were ultimately supported by the Department of Children and Families and later a juvenile court judge.

tailfins
02-28-2014, 04:39 PM
You have failed to realize the extent of the "how dare you question me" mindset that infests lefties and Democrats.

I still don't get this entire thing. Taking a child away from their parents/family had better be a last resort, and be more than warranted, and I just don't see it in this case. I could have understood perhaps some court ordered treatment, that the family might have had to abide by. But to just take away the kid and toss her in a psych ward? In a nutshell, here is the entire case, and no way in hell does this support the child being removed.