PDA

View Full Version : Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Boston bomber, incriminates himself in jail

jimnyc
03-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Their only hope is to have whatever comments they are tossed, but analysts all agree that he is SOL. He KNEW they were being watched and recorded, knew the FBI was listening in, and outside of with his attorney, he has no expectation of privacy in his prison communications. If he did incriminate himself, and it's clear, he's screwed. I can tell you if I were a juror, and they presented a recording/video in which he states something that directly links him to the crime, that alone would be enough for me to find him guilty. That's what idiots do, they don't think and then do idiotic things. The weight of his words when speaking to his sister will be very heavy, and be viewed differently than if he was speaking to police/fbi, where one could cry 'duress'.

BOSTON (AP) — An FBI agent overheard Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev make a "statement to his detriment" when his sister visited him in prison, federal prosecutors said Friday.

Prosecutors did not reveal what Tsarnaev said, but they objected to what they called an attempt by Tsarnaev's lawyers to suppress the statement.

Tsarnaev made the remark when an investigator working for his lawyers accompanied Tsarnaev's sister to a prison visit, a meeting that was monitored by an FBI agent, prosecutors said. The defense investigator started to explain to Tsarnaev's sister the rationale behind special restrictions placed on Tsarnaev in prison, prosecutors said.

They say Tsarnaev, "despite the presence of an FBI agent and an employee of the federal public defender, was unable to temper his remarks and made a statement to his detriment which was overheard by the agent."

The government described the conversation in a memo outlining their opposition to a request from Tsarnaev's lawyers to lift the prison restrictions, known as special administrative measures.

Tsarnaev, 20, has pleaded not guilty in the terrorist attack at last year's marathon. Two pressure cooker bombs were placed near the marathon finish line, killing three people and wounding more than 260.

Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev for crimes that include using a weapon of mass destruction

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-marathon-suspect-made-detrimental-remark-210140620.html?vp=1