PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Tariqka Sheffey’s Army selfie

jimnyc
03-01-2014, 02:01 PM
As many of you know, soldiers do relinquish a certain amount of rights when they join the military. And even with giving this soldier the same amount of FOS as every other citizen, how does it look when a soldier openly flaunts criticism of saluting our flag, and also disrespecting the army. She also pushes forward the fact that she is collecting taxpayer dollars while doing nothing.

By now, you’ve probably heard of Army Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey. The soldier set off an internet firestorm when she rather foolishly posted a selfie to her Instagram account, sheffeynation, with the caption, “This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don’t have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR ‘THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.’ COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF.”

Reaction to Sheffey’s flaunting of her blatant disrespect to the Army and to the flag was mixed. Some people thought Sheffey should be kicked out. But a good number of people, including bloggers like Jim Treacher, defended her saying that everyone in the military avoids being outside at 1700 to salute the flag, and her mistake was just posting it online. Give her an NJP (non-judicial punishment) and call it a day.

But there’s a little problem with just shrugging off Sheffey’s selfie. It isn’t the only time she’s posted disrespectful photos of her slacking off in uniform to her Instagram account. This photo surfaced Tuesday, with the caption, “Your tax dollars allow me to sit in my car and do this all day! Respect the name though; SHEFFEYNATION, do what you want with the uniform LOL.”

Should a soldier who repeatedly shows poor judgment and a lack of respect for the flag of the United States of America really be allowed to continue to serve? Absolutely not. Sheffey should be dishonorably discharged. Too harsh? Consider that Sheffey’s response to the controversy didn’t even include a proper apology:

“I seriously just want to say thank you to everybody who stood up to me today, like seriously. That s— to me was not that serious. I am not a disrespectful soldier and I really appreciate you all.”

This isn’t just about Sheffey avoiding the 1700 salute. It’s about Sheffey’s utter lack of discipline, respect and good judgment. Her actions don’t just reflect poorly on her but on her unit and the United States Army. She has posted disrespectful photos on social media multiple times and can’t even be bothered to apologize for it. And if she feels that she is an example of a respectful soldier, then I’d sure hate to see what she considers to be disrespectful.

This is also a larger problem than just with Tariqka Sheffey. Service members evidently feel that it’s acceptable to post disrespectful pictures on social media, and time and time again they merely receive wrist slaps. National Guard members posted photos online of themselves posing jokingly around a flag-draped coffin, with one soldier in particular posting a horrible selfie before a funeral saying that a gold-star family would receive a “jacked-up flag” for having the funeral in cold weather. Air Force Staff Sergeant Cherish Byers posted a selfie of her kissing the POW/MIA figure. And now we have Sheffey flaunting her lack of respect for the flag and the uniform.

http://i.imgur.com/nb4u5J5.jpg

http://rare.us/story/soldier-tariqka-sheffeys-army-selfie-wasnt-a-first-but-it-should-be-the-last/

aboutime
03-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Though I find her method of advertising her conduct a lousy way of doing it.

It would be hypocritical of me, or any other member of the military in uniform to say..."We would never do that."

Truth is. As was stated by some. Everyone in uniform outside on a military base, around the world knows...0800 (8 A.M. local) is when Morning Colors take place. (raising the American flag (Ensign), and at SUNSET, when Evening colors (lowering the American flag) takes place.
Anyone who has ever been in uniform knows, and is aware of what ATTENTION to colors means.

So. This young lady bragged about it, and that was a mistake. But I believe. The bragging was more disrespectful of America, and the Army than her intent to not GET CAUGHT...TO STAND AT ATTENTION, AND SALUTE.

jafar00
03-01-2014, 06:20 PM
1st world problems.

Also, stupid girl. She should be discharged dishonourably.

jimnyc
03-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Though I find her method of advertising her conduct a lousy way of doing it.

It would be hypocritical of me, or any other member of the military in uniform to say..."We would never do that."

Truth is. As was stated by some. Everyone in uniform outside on a military base, around the world knows...0800 (8 A.M. local) is when Morning Colors take place. (raising the American flag (Ensign), and at SUNSET, when Evening colors (lowering the American flag) takes place.
Anyone who has ever been in uniform knows, and is aware of what ATTENTION to colors means.

So. This young lady bragged about it, and that was a mistake. But I believe. The bragging was more disrespectful of America, and the Army than her intent to not GET CAUGHT...TO STAND AT ATTENTION, AND SALUTE.

If I were told that other service members despised having to do this daily, several times, and stayed indoors to avoid doing it so much, so be it, I can understand that. But then hopping on a public medium, laughing at the process, embarrassing the Army, and laughing at taxpayers? At the very least, her superiors should make it so that SHE HAS TO salute the colors, day in and day out, no matter what. Maybe make her LEARN about Old Glory.

aboutime
03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
If I were told that other service members despised having to do this daily, several times, and stayed indoors to avoid doing it so much, so be it, I can understand that. But then hopping on a public medium, laughing at the process, embarrassing the Army, and laughing at taxpayers? At the very least, her superiors should make it so that SHE HAS TO salute the colors, day in and day out, no matter what. Maybe make her LEARN about Old Glory.

I totally agree Jim. Like most people break the laws on the highway. There is no shortage of military members doing what that young woman bragged about doing.
Her selfish need to advertise what she did...earned her all of the scorn, and punishment she should receive...per the UCMJ.

Disrespect...IN UNIFORM...is far more serious, and should be told. If the Army, or any other service allows this to happen without recourse. More young, disrespectful, immature people in uniform will simply use her actions as justification for their BAD attitudes.

As I stated earlier. Having been in uniform myself. It would be hypocritical of me to say I hadn't done the same during my time in the navy. But...advertising it, and bragging about it as she did....IS NOTHING SHORT OF STUPID, IGNORANT, and some form of punishment is due because of her BIG, SELFISH MOUTH.