PDA

View Full Version : At least 28 die in 'terrorist' attack at Chinese train station

jimnyc
03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Interesting. And here I thought the issue was guns? Imagine the things scumbag criminals do when they want to kill, even without guns.

BEIJING (Reuters) - At least 28 people were killed by knife-wielding attackers in a "violent terrorist attack" at a train station in the southwestern Chinese city of Kunming, and police shot dead five of the assailants, state media said on Sunday.

Another 113 people were wounded, the official Xinhua news agency said, revising down an earlier higher figure. It said the attack had taken place late on Saturday evening.

"It was an organized, premeditated violent terrorist attack," Xinhua said.

Police shot dead five of the unidentified attackers and were searching for around five others, it said.

Kunming resident Yang Haifei told Xinhua that he was buying a ticket when he saw a group of people, mostly wearing black, rush into the station and start attacking bystanders.

"I saw a person come straight at me with a long knife and I ran away with everyone," he said, adding that the attackers caught those who were slower. "They just fell on the ground."

Graphic pictures on the Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo showed bodies covered in blood lying on the ground at the station.

There was no immediate word on who was responsible.

Chinese President Xi Jinping ordered no effort be spared to track down those behind the attack.

"Severely punish in accordance with the law the violent terrorists and resolutely crack down on those who have been swollen with arrogance," Xinhua quoted him as saying.

http://news.yahoo.com/least-27-dead-attack-chinese-train-station-174251496.html

jafar00
03-01-2014, 06:07 PM
I imagine a lot more would have died if they used guns. Most of them would have been caught because the train station was very crowded and the exits insufficient to allow them to run at full speed from sword wielding maniacs. A very sad event.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Update on who did the attack. And just as I already knew it turned out to be muslims. Who would have ever thought that! What a shocker, Religion of Peace striking yet again!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/knife-wielding-men-attack-sw-china-train-station/2014/03/01/41f2e762-a155-11e3-878c-65222df220eb_story.html A Xinhua reporter on the scene in Kunming said several suspects had been “controlled” while police continued their investigation of people at the train station. The reporter said firefighters and emergency medical personnel were at the station and rushing injured people to hospitals for treatment.

The authorities said five suspects were shot dead but that their identities had not yet been confirmed, Xinhua reported. Overall, 28 people were confirmed dead and 113 injured, it said.

State media outlets did not immediately cite a motive for the attack or say what group might be behind it, but they typically use the phrase “terrorist” for attacks blamed on separatists from the far western region of Xinjiang, home to a simmering rebellion against Chinese rule among parts of the Muslim Uighur (pronounced WEE’-gur) population.

jimnyc
03-02-2014, 10:24 AM
I imagine a lot more would have died if they used guns. Most of them would have been caught because the train station was very crowded and the exits insufficient to allow them to run at full speed from sword wielding maniacs. A very sad event.

Point is, they wanted to kill, they killed. A killer/criminal will find ways to kill if that is their objective, it is not the tool that does the killing.