PDA

View Full Version : Akathisia

jimnyc
03-02-2014, 10:36 AM
I have this, just didn't know the term until my doctor explained it to me yesterday. It's kind of like having RLS (restless leg syndrome). For example, the other night I took my medication at about 9pm or so. At about 9:40 I started to feel restless, and my body was rocking as if I just drank 30 red bulls. If I sat entirely still, I couldn't, the body started clenching up and wanted to move. If I got up and walked around, felt perfectly fine. Sit back down and it's living hell. It doesn't hurt, just sorta uncontrollable jerking and movements. Luckily for me, this doesn't happen often, and when it does, it lasts from 15-30 minutes max. Some people get this for months on end!!!

Akathisia, or acathisia (from Greek καθίζειν kathízein - "to sit", a- indicating negation or absence, lit. "inability to sit") is a syndrome characterized by unpleasant sensations of inner restlessness that manifests itself with an inability to sit still or remain motionless. The term was coined by the Czech neuropsychiatrist Ladislav Haskovec (1866–1944), who described the phenomenon in 1901.[1][2]

Antipsychotics (also known as neuroleptics) may cause akathisia. Other known causes include side effects of certain medications, and nearly any physically-addictive drug during drug withdrawal.[3] It is also associated with Parkinson's disease and related syndromes.[4]

Akathisia may range in intensity from a sense of disquiet or anxiety, to severe discomfort, particularly in the knees. Patients typically pace for hours because the pressure on the knees reduces the discomfort somewhat; once their knees and legs become fatigued and they are unable to continue pacing, they sit or lie down, although this does not relieve the akathisia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I have this, just didn't know the term until my doctor explained it to me yesterday. It's kind of like having RLS (restless leg syndrome). For example, the other night I took my medication at about 9pm or so. At about 9:40 I started to feel restless, and my body was rocking as if I just drank 30 red bulls. If I sat entirely still, I couldn't, the body started clenching up and wanted to move. If I got up and walked around, felt perfectly fine. Sit back down and it's living hell. It doesn't hurt, just sorta uncontrollable jerking and movements. Luckily for me, this doesn't happen often, and when it does, it lasts from 15-30 minutes max. Some people get this for months on end!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia Back in the day we farm boys used to have that . Only it was our dad's belt on our little behinds if we didn't do our chores. :laugh: Believe me, one had to work like lightning to do what was required and still have time to hunt, fish or play. All kidding aside that seems to be a not very fun thing to experience. Months on end like that would be tough as hell.

Abbey Marie
03-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Jim, I would hate that. I'm glad that you know that it won't last too long when you do get it. That makes a big difference. Good time to exercise?

fj1200
03-02-2014, 12:35 PM
If I got up and walked around, felt perfectly fine.

I hear you've got some shoveling to do.

jimnyc
03-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Back in the day we farm boys used to have that . Only it was our dad's belt on our little behinds if we didn't do our chores. :laugh: Believe me, one had to work like lightning to do what was required and still have time to hunt, fish or play. All kidding aside that seems to be a not very fun thing to experience. Months on end like that would be tough as hell.

When this kicks in on me, which admittedly isn't nightly, I would rather get a belt to the ass!

Jim, I would hate that. I'm glad that you know that it won't last too long when you do get it. That makes a big difference. Good time to exercise?

You should have seen me the 1st time it happened, and it lasted about 30 minutes. I had just prepared a sandwich and was sitting down to watch TV. I felt edgy, but that was normal. But then it was kinda funny, I really had trouble eating as I couldn't keep my arms and hands steady. Picture trying to feed a baby, when you make the airplane sounds and try to guide the spoon into his/her mouth. That's what it felt like! LOL

I hear you've got some shoveling to do.

Well, perhaps this evening if it should happen, as it is supposed to start snowing around dinner time tonight. But F that, I'm tired of the shoveling, I'd rather walk in circles in my bathroom!

Little-Acorn
03-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Akathisia

The fear of not having Kathianne around to post in the forum any more?

I've got that too! The horror! :wink2:

Jeff
03-03-2014, 08:15 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia

This happens to me daily Jim, it has for as long as I can remember , hell it is why I stay up all night most nights. Give me a call and I will explain how to get through it :salute: