PDA

View Full Version : When did I grow old?

jimnyc
03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
I still talk and act like I'm 21. I think like I'm 21. About as responsible (I know, that's why I got married...). But the body doesn't listen to the brain. It's bad enough that I feel older, and people tell me I'm older, and doctors visits and all that other crap. Anyway, I was bored and took the ever popular "selfie" while in my truck. I know, completely gay (sorry gay people). But then when I looked at it on my computer I noticed the grays, both on my head and the day old non-shaven face. I don't see it this way in the mirror. Maybe my eyes block it out? Time for what my Dad used, Grecian Formula, or leave it as is?

http://i.imgur.com/r1a3lqi.jpg

fj1200
03-05-2014, 10:53 AM
When you turned 40. :poke:

I had gray hair in my 20's, let it ride man.

jimnyc
03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
When you turned 40. :poke:

I had gray hair in my 20's, let it ride man.

I suppose it's better than being bald. And the ladies ain't giving me the time of day anyway, so I don't think the grays will make a difference at this point!! :lol:

CSM
03-05-2014, 11:12 AM
The magic age is 42. That is when you need reading glasses (assuming you had near perfect vision until then) ... that is when that massive 48" chest you had as a super stud drops to your waistline ... that is when some of the things you were so passionate about (all black and white facets!) previously now become shades of gray.

Been there done that. I can only speak for myself but I still think like a 20 year old but then the body tells my brain "OK, you go ahead and do that but I'm telling you that this is going to hurt!" and it does. Recovery time is a lot longer too. Going out to play or hang with friends has become "I need a nap!". All that physical strength I had has some how transformed into pure obstinance ... which is often a poor substitue! As my dear departed mom used to say ... "getting old is not for the weak!" I now know she did not mean the physically weak!

jimnyc
03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
The magic age is 42. That is when you need reading glasses (assuming you had near perfect vision until then) ... that is when that massive 48" chest you had as a super stud drops to your waistline ... that is when some of the things you were so passionate about (all black and white facets!) previously now become shades of gray.

Been there done that. I can only speak for myself but I still think like a 20 year old but then the body tells my brain "OK, you go ahead and do that but I'm telling you that this is going to hurt!" and it does. Recovery time is a lot longer too. Going out to play or hang with friends has become "I need a nap!". All that physical strength I had has some how transformed into pure obstinance ... which is often a poor substitue! As my dear departed mom used to say ... "getting old is not for the weak!" I now know she did not mean the physically weak!

I think mine started at about 36-37, but definitely got worse around 42 or so! I recently bought a pair of reading glasses from CVS, the little fold up pair that you can put in a mini case. I'm having trouble more and more reading the "fine print" on things and need my personal little "magnifying glasses". I hide them in public though, not sure why. I suppose it's better to be half blind and reckless than putting on glasses! :)

I never had the big chest, but the waistline appeared nonetheless. If I go nutso working out, I see results in my arms, chest, shoulders, legs... but never the waistline. I think what my doctor refers to as the "jelly roll" is now with me forever. :(

Every night I get another reminder when I start falling asleep at like 9pm. I just can't hang no more! I can still drink if I want to, and do sometimes, but then feel crappy for like 3 weeks.

CSM
03-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I think mine started at about 36-37, but definitely got worse around 42 or so! I recently bought a pair of reading glasses from CVS, the little fold up pair that you can put in a mini case. I'm having trouble more and more reading the "fine print" on things and need my personal little "magnifying glasses". I hide them in public though, not sure why. I suppose it's better to be half blind and reckless than putting on glasses! :)

I never had the big chest, but the waistline appeared nonetheless. If I go nutso working out, I see results in my arms, chest, shoulders, legs... but never the waistline. I think what my doctor refers to as the "jelly roll" is now with me forever. :(

Every night I get another reminder when I start falling asleep at like 9pm. I just can't hang no more! I can still drink if I want to, and do sometimes, but then feel crappy for like 3 weeks.

Yep. I often tell my sons (all in their 30s and 40s) "hey, I can still do that (insert whatever here)!" .... they just roll their eyes and reply "sure, Pop, I bet you have one last time left in you!"

aboutime
03-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Jim. Don't let it bother you. You can't stop it. It's the natural progression of life.

Tomorrow...all of us will be ONE DAY OLDER.

Do you want that to stop?

I'm all gray, still have most of my hair...cept for the Helocopter Landing zone centered between my ears.

The greatest thing is...no matter how old I get. Is when I open my eyes each morning.

I like to think I CAN control that!:laugh: So should everybody else.

There are worse conditions like DYING to be concerned about.

jimnyc
03-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Jim. Don't let it bother you. You can't stop it. It's the natural progression of life.

Tomorrow...all of us will be ONE DAY OLDER.

Do you want that to stop?

I'm all gray, still have most of my hair...cept for the Helocopter Landing zone centered between my ears.

The greatest thing is...no matter how old I get. Is when I open my eyes each morning.

I like to think I CAN control that!:laugh: So should everybody else.

There are worse conditions like DYING to be concerned about.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll feel that way soon enough. It's just the shock of the turnover. I could have sworn it wasn't gray. When I went to Georgia with my brother not long ago, he made fun of me for the gray hair, but then I looked in the mirror and was like WTF? I didn't see it. I think it's the angles and the lighting, but for sure it's getting grayer.

I'm due for a haircut anyway. Get a nice short cut and tell him no tip if I see any grays when done! :)

tailfins
03-05-2014, 05:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y

Abbey Marie
03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm sure I'll feel that way soon enough. It's just the shock of the turnover. I could have sworn it wasn't gray. When I went to Georgia with my brother not long ago, he made fun of me for the gray hair, but then I looked in the mirror and was like WTF? I didn't see it. I think it's the angles and the lighting, but for sure it's getting grayer.

I'm due for a haircut anyway. Get a nice short cut and tell him no tip if I see any grays when done! :)

That's because you won't put your glasses on! :laugh2:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I still talk and act like I'm 21. I think like I'm 21. About as responsible (I know, that's why I got married...). But the body doesn't listen to the brain. It's bad enough that I feel older, and people tell me I'm older, and doctors visits and all that other crap. Anyway, I was bored and took the ever popular "selfie" while in my truck. I know, completely gay (sorry gay people). But then when I looked at it on my computer I noticed the grays, both on my head and the day old non-shaven face. I don't see it this way in the mirror. Maybe my eyes block it out? Time for what my Dad used, Grecian Formula, or leave it as is?

http://i.imgur.com/r1a3lqi.jpg You get old while you are sleeping. ;) Just don't sleep for about ten days problem solved.. :laugh: I never got old until my heart attack. After that you realize you are not indestructible. Then you start to pace yourself like you should have upon reaching 30! Don't sweat it amigo getting old sure as hell beats the alternative. :clap: Today I turned 60 and my son asked me this morning is 60 old? I replied used to be before I made it. Now its just nice!! ;) -Tyr

jimnyc
03-05-2014, 08:31 PM
That's because you won't put your glasses on! :laugh2:

There could be something to that! I have trouble driving at night, mostly because of oncoming lights having the starburst effect and blinding me too easily. But things just seem a little darker at night than they used to. I don't have regular glasses, only a pair of prescription reading glasses that I can't find, and the crappy cool pair from CVS. But I'm thinking maybe the less I see the better? :)

hjmick
03-05-2014, 09:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLC8fJdQJ24

Kathianne
03-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Yep. I often tell my sons (all in their 30s and 40s) "hey, I can still do that (insert whatever here)!" .... they just roll their eyes and reply "sure, Pop, I bet you have one last time left in you!"

Seriously, 'kids' in their 30's are so condescending! LOL!

Gaffer
03-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Back when my youngest grandson was about 5, he and some friends were discussing the Shrek movie. He mentioned the song I'm a Believer was a old song and his friends disagreed saying it was new. He told them "My grandpa said it's old and he should know, he's older than dirt."

jimnyc
03-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Back when my youngest grandson was about 5, he and some friends were discussing the Shrek movie. He mentioned the song I'm a Believer was a old song and his friends disagreed saying it was new. He told them "My grandpa said it's old and he should know, he's older than dirt."

When was dirt born? :)

Funny thing is, we grew up with that song. And the "Monkees". And now it IS like ancient history! LOL

Jeff
03-06-2014, 08:09 AM
38 for me, I had just moved to GA when I had turned 40 and was taking a local driving job and I can remember telling the dispatcher that when I turned 38 all those 6000 mile weeks became something in the past and he agreed , in fact he said 38 was when he felt it, and by the way he still dispatched me on 6000 mile weeks home on the weekends :laugh:

So now at 51 I feel 101 grey hair is no longer a problem it is the norm :laugh: and the aches and pains have also become the norm :laugh: so I eat my pain pills and just try to keep up my man attitude even though I feel like a little old man :laugh:

tailfins
03-06-2014, 11:30 AM

How did you take that photo? Given they way people drive on the Saw Mill River Parkway, you wouldn't be the only one making a "selfie" traveling at 60 MPH.

Gaffer
03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
How did you take that photo? Given they way people drive on the Saw Mill River Parkway, you wouldn't be the only one making a "selfie" traveling at 60 MPH.

He's in his driveway, sitting in his truck, in front of his house. A silly question is questioning the obvious, a stupid question is one you already know the answer to. I'll let you determine which one applies to yours.

aboutime
03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
38 for me, I had just moved to GA when I had turned 40 and was taking a local driving job and I can remember telling the dispatcher that when I turned 38 all those 6000 mile weeks became something in the past and he agreed , in fact he said 38 was when he felt it, and by the way he still dispatched me on 6000 mile weeks home on the weekends :laugh:

So now at 51 I feel 101 grey hair is no longer a problem it is the norm :laugh: and the aches and pains have also become the norm :laugh: so I eat my pain pills and just try to keep up my man attitude even though I feel like a little old man :laugh:

Jeff. In my last year, before I retired from the Navy. Most, if not all of the rest of the crew called me POPS. That was in 1995.

I enjoyed the jokes...Being Older than dirt. Being Noah's Navigator. Being the special effects man for MOSES crossing the Red Sea, and remembering what North America looked like before the Great Lakes were just fishing ponds to wade across.

Be proud of growing older. Let them make fun of you. You can smile at everyone else...KNOWING...they have that to look forward to as well.
And...being older has it's perks too! We (all of us old folks) have experienced almost everything the YOUNGER folks have to learn on their own. We know what mistakes...NOT TO MAKE. Throw in some Wisdom, and Common Sense...and WHO do the young people come to (without telling anybody else) when they need HELP???

tailfins
03-06-2014, 01:46 PM
He's in his driveway, sitting in his truck, in front of his house. A silly question is questioning the obvious, a stupid question is one you already know the answer to. I'll let you determine which one applies to yours.

I just noticed the lattice fence in the background.

tailfins
03-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Jeff. In my last year, before I retired from the Navy. Most, if not all of the rest of the crew called me POPS. That was in 1995.

I enjoyed the jokes...Being Older than dirt. Being Noah's Navigator. Being the special effects man for MOSES crossing the Red Sea, and remembering what North America looked like before the Great Lakes were just fishing ponds to wade across.

Be proud of growing older. Let them make fun of you. You can smile at everyone else...KNOWING...they have that to look forward to as well.
And...being older has it's perks too! We (all of us old folks) have experienced almost everything the YOUNGER folks have to learn on their own. We know what mistakes...NOT TO MAKE. Throw in some Wisdom, and Common Sense...and WHO do the young people come to (without telling anybody else) when they need HELP???

The only thing that makes me cringe about getting old is the thought of struggling to breathe and eat. Gasping for air and fighting to hold food down isn't my idea of a good time.

Gaffer
03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
The only thing that makes me cringe about getting old is the thought of struggling to breathe and eat. Gasping for air and fighting to hold food down isn't my idea of a good time.

I never have to gasp for air. I just breathe normally like everyone else. And my food stays where I put it. I don't have to hold it on the plate or keep it from running away. You don't have to be old to struggle to breath, anyone with breathing problems of any age can tell you about that.

Eat healthy, think young, exercise regularly and die anyway. It's the end result for everyone. You may never experience being old, you may be in some old persons memory years from now.

aboutime
03-06-2014, 02:41 PM

If you take care of yourself. You'll never need to worry about such things. None of us out here are having such problems.

If that worries you so much, and you are constantly thinking about it. VISIT A DOCTOR.

Meanwhile. The rest of us are ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE ALIVE.

The good thing about dying is...."You won't know it when it happens!"

I can speak from experience. I have been pronounced TWICE...and didn't remember either of them.

gabosaurus
03-06-2014, 09:30 PM

A -- You have always been old. You are merely older now.
B -- Sorry about the picture. Did you take a laxative for it?
C -- You can do whatever you want to your hair. You still won't get any boobies.

:slap:

SassyLady
03-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Hey Jim ..... perhaps gray hair is better than no hair? :cheers2:

Personally, I like a little gray over the ears and in the facial scruff. No Grecian formula!!!