PDA

View Full Version : Another new bike

Jeff
03-06-2014, 08:00 AM
It is like Christmas here :cool: and Santa loves me :laugh: I had posted pictures of my new Wide Glide but a ways back a friend of mine told me his sisters BF was trying to sell his bike( for a 2012 Electra glide ) well I let it go in one ear and out the other ( deals like that are usually good for wishful thinking but very rarely go any further) well I was on a memorial ride a couple of weeks ago for my buddies brother ( yes the same buddy that told me about his sisters bf ) and low and behold the guy he was talking about ran along side me ( he was carrying my buddies sister and I and my buddy are pretty tight so the preacher had him and I line up right behind my buddy ( who led the parade ) Once the service was over I got with my buddy and we where talking about how nice that guy next to me bike was and my buddy says that was the bike he was trying to sell, I told him then if it ever comes up again remember me. Well I got the call the next morning, seems the boy had made a deal with his future son in law but it feel through on the first payment :laugh: So I received the call and told them yes right then and there.

I picked the bike up Sunday, it has 6400 miles on it ( just barley broke in ) and it is without a doubt the most comfortable bike I ever rode. Yesterday I pulled it out and went for about a 100 mile ride, the air suspension is being run with no air and yet each bump ya just float over ( the guy I bought it from is short so he didn't run any air to keep it lower ) The bike also has a Radio and CD player on it, it is 103 inches of pure torque, the only thing not stock is the pipes, Perry ( the original owner ) had put straight pipes on it but they come back on both sides and come out behind the boxes so ya really just hear a quiet deep rumble. Yes this is the bike of my dreams !!

I was very concerned about picking up such high payments on a questionable ( at best ) deal but thanks to my wife and Jim I feel a lot better doing the deal, my wife had found a contract that pretty much covers me ( and the seller ) and the best I can tell ( talking to people who have done deals like this before ) is that it is all legal, the only difference is if Perry was to come pick it up I would have to take it to court ( instead of just calling the police ) but everyone I have spoke to ( including the local Sheriff ) has assured me I would get the bike or my money back as long as my payments are on time, so now I have three years to pay on the bike of my dreams ( yes he payed almost the first 2 years on a 5 year loan) so no I didn't get a great deal, other than all I had to do was hand him the first payment and then ride off on a $22,000 bike :cool: Yes I will be heading to Florida in style at the end of the month but can still pull out the bad ass bike and shake the hell out of NE GA .

jimnyc
03-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Like I told ya over the phone - documentation and things in writing are your friend. Get things notarized even, if you can. Every receipt too. EVERYTHING.

Where are pictures, ya bastard???

Jeff
03-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Like I told ya over the phone - documentation and things in writing are your friend. Get things notarized even, if you can. Every receipt too. EVERYTHING.

Where are pictures, ya bastard???

Laura had notarized the contract, as for the payments I don't want to push this guy to much ( yes he was all ready to do this deal with a hand shake and a promise , he is a old time Biker Redneck ) But I will get him to sign a receipt, I was worried about him not making the payment but I found a site where I can watch each payment he makes on the account so I feel a lot better. But honestly down here in the South these type of deals happen all the time. Yesterday while at the local Harley Dealer I was speaking to a friend of mine and he said he wouldn't give it a second thought , he said he had seen many deals the same as mine work out fine, so that and the fact that the night I picked up the bike Perry had tears running down his face ( if he was doing something crooked I don't think he would of been so upset ) Yes as Perry handed the keys over it was easy to see he was saying goodbye to the bike and although I felt bad for him I realized he was on the up and up, that and the fact he has another bike he is selling the same way ( seems he owned his own bike shop and someone brought there bike in for work and never picked it up ) so he got a salvage title and then sold it to a friend ( who couldn't get a loan for it ) so the bike stayed in Perry's name until it was paid off ( last month ) and as promised he took the title to the man, and yes that was a deal with a contract written out on the back of a scrap piece of paper :laugh: so for now I am riding in style and not worrying !!

fj1200
03-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Very wise, it's always good to have a spare Harley around. :poke: I also thank you because you can't ride two Harleys at the same time. :slap:

j/k :laugh: Especially as I have no operable clutch at the moment. :(

I've recently decided that a Buell Ulysses is the next bike for me, my Alaska ride. Some V-twin American iron. :)

Jeff
03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Very wise, it's always good to have a spare Harley around. :poke: I also thank you because you can't ride two Harleys at the same time. :slap:

j/k :laugh: Especially as I have no operable clutch at the moment. :(

I've recently decided that a Buell Ulysses is the next bike for me, my Alaska ride. Some V-twin American iron. :)

fj you have to see this new bike , the way it rides kind of puts all those theories about Harley's to rest, as I said the bike is more comfortable than any other I have ever ridden ( and so ya know , neither leak a drop of oil :laugh: )

Beull makes a great bike , your Alaska ride ?? That would be a trip of a lifetime for me, I don't think you could find a better place for scenery.

Man how much do they want to change out the Clutch on your bike ? I put a heavy duty one in the Yamaha last year and it was ( I think ) like $450 give or take . It seems the heavier bikes always wear out the clutch quickly, they put a cheap one in while it is built and it just doesn't stand up to the weight ( I had the same thing happen on a Honda and I know for a fact certain Harley's ya have to go in and put the heavy duty one in, heck I have seen guys do it before the clutch shows any signs of going bad )

Anyway good luck with getting that Bike back up, it is getting that time :thumb:

Jeff
03-06-2014, 04:13 PM
This isn't the bike but it is the same color and looks exactly like it, I hadn't taken any pictures as of yet.

The only difference is mine has a chrome cup holder on the handlebar.

fj1200
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
fj you have to see this new bike , the way it rides kind of puts all those theories about Harley's to rest, as I said the bike is more comfortable than any other I have ever ridden ( and so ya know , neither leak a drop of oil :laugh: )

Beull makes a great bike , your Alaska ride ?? That would be a trip of a lifetime for me, I don't think you could find a better place for scenery.

Man how much do they want to change out the Clutch on your bike ? I put a heavy duty one in the Yamaha last year and it was ( I think ) like $450 give or take . It seems the heavier bikes always wear out the clutch quickly, they put a cheap one in while it is built and it just doesn't stand up to the weight ( I had the same thing happen on a Honda and I know for a fact certain Harley's ya have to go in and put the heavy duty one in, heck I have seen guys do it before the clutch shows any signs of going bad )

Anyway good luck with getting that Bike back up, it is getting that time :thumb:

I know you'll have fun with the new ride. But the first clutch on my bike did last 25 years. :poke: And I think it's just the actuator down low and not the actual clutch. I started it up a couple of weeks ago and the clutch had no resistance; clutch fluid had leaked out. :( I saw a kit for new seals for like $15 so I don't think it'll be too expensive, was thinking of them checking the valves anyway; just need to figure out how to get it there. Hop it up on the trailer I guess.

But that particular Buell looks pretty nice, adventure styling, great mileage for a 1200, down low torque, I hear it's comfortable, and I can actually get a bike made in this millennium. :laugh: Gotta figure out the dollars though.

Jeff
03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
I know you'll have fun with the new ride. But the first clutch on my bike did last 25 years. :poke: And I think it's just the actuator down low and not the actual clutch. I started it up a couple of weeks ago and the clutch had no resistance; clutch fluid had leaked out. :( I saw a kit for new seals for like $15 so I don't think it'll be too expensive, was thinking of them checking the valves anyway; just need to figure out how to get it there. Hop it up on the trailer I guess.

But that particular Buell looks pretty nice, adventure styling, great mileage for a 1200, down low torque, I hear it's comfortable, and I can actually get a bike made in this millennium. :laugh: Gotta figure out the dollars though.

fj a friend of mine has the same issue happen to his Yamaha every year, he says it happens once a year but like you he loses everything on his clutch, all he does is add some brake fluid pump it through and he rides off, give it a try all ya can lose is a pint of fluid ( but be careful not to drop any brake fluid on the paint it will eat the paint up )

Not sure where you take it to be worked on but I have a trailer if ya need one, I have used it one time :laugh: I hauled the bike down to Florida one winter but soon realized if I just rode it to Florida ( in the winter ) I have half a day of cold riding but then it warms up quickly, so I save gas and leave the trailer parked.

Voted4Reagan
03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/uploads/images/amca_images/Membership/flying-merkel-1024.jpg

fj1200
03-07-2014, 11:46 AM
fj a friend of mine has the same issue happen to his Yamaha every year, he says it happens once a year but like you he loses everything on his clutch, all he does is add some brake fluid pump it through and he rides off, give it a try all ya can lose is a pint of fluid ( but be careful not to drop any brake fluid on the paint it will eat the paint up )

Not sure where you take it to be worked on but I have a trailer if ya need one, I have used it one time :laugh: I hauled the bike down to Florida one winter but soon realized if I just rode it to Florida ( in the winter ) I have half a day of cold riding but then it warms up quickly, so I save gas and leave the trailer parked.

From what I've found out it's probably a leak past the clutch slave cylinder and there's a reseal kit to be had for $15 or so. I think I'm going to try putting some brake fluid in to get on the road again and see what happens. I'll have to keep some with me in case it happens when I'm away from home. But thanks, I do have a trailer and the place isn't too far away in case my fix isn't working. Thinking about having them check the valves anyway. And it seems you use your trailer as often as I use mine; once. :laugh: But made it to Gatlinburg with no problems. :) I'll probably bring it to MI next year so I can loop around Lake Michigan with a buddy and take the ferry across the lake.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/uploads/images/amca_images/Membership/flying-merkel-1024.jpg

Ah, board track racing. No better way to die in the 19 oughts. :eek:

Little-Acorn
03-07-2014, 03:39 PM
http://hoosierbeemers.org/pics/radial_mc.jpg

Little-Acorn
03-07-2014, 03:41 PM
This ought to get you to work and back.

A 48-cylinder Kawasaki.

There is no truth to the rumor that it requires truck tires.

http://static.instantbikes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/48-cylinder-motorcycle-engine.jpg