PDA

View Full Version : Fall River Man Arrested For Videotaping Police Officer

jimnyc
03-08-2014, 12:12 PM
I can't believe police are still out there telling citizens it's unlawful to record them and their public duties. Often I don't think it's necessary, but that doesn't change the law regardless. I think it sounds like this guy claimed he was doing it secretly to cover things up, and then had to further delete the video which likely showed otherwise. Deleting the video is what will screw them. I hope he sues for false arrest.

FALL RIVER (CBS) – A Fall River man says he was recording a police officer who was out of control, but instead, he was arrested and his cell phone was seized.

Now the video he recorded is gone. Police say he erased it, even though they were the ones holding the phone.

George Thompson says last January he was just sitting on his front porch, watching a Fall River police officer working a paid detail. Thompson says the officer was on his phone and was swearing very loud.

That’s when Thompson pulled out his phone. Thompson says Officer Tom Barboza then rushed him and arrested him, charging him with unlawful wiretapping.

But in Massachusetts it’s perfectly legal to record video and audio of a public official, including police, as long as they are performing their duties and the recording isn’t hidden. Barboza’s own police report shows that Thompson acknowledged he was recording the officer.

“I think we all have our basic rights and I think people should not record others secretly or surreptitiously,” Fall River Police Chief Daniel Racine told WPRI.

Thompson was released from jail, but police kept his phone and that’s where the story takes an interesting turn.

Thompson claims that two days after his arrest, his phone, which was locked up at the police station, somehow had all of the video erased.

“If a Fall River police officer erased that video, he’s fired,” Chief Racine said. “And I would suspect the district attorney would take out charges.”

George Thompson is not buying it. “They’re investigating themselves and there’s a code of blue and everybody knows that,” Thompson says.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/07/fall-river-man-arrested-for-videotaping-police-officer/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-08-2014, 12:36 PM
I can't believe police are still out there telling citizens it's unlawful to record them and their public duties. Often I don't think it's necessary, but that doesn't change the law regardless. I think it sounds like this guy claimed he was doing it secretly to cover things up, and then had to further delete the video which likely showed otherwise. Deleting the video is what will screw them. I hope he sues for false arrest.

FALL RIVER (CBS) – A Fall River man says he was recording a police officer who was out of control, but instead, he was arrested and his cell phone was seized.

Now the video he recorded is gone. Police say he erased it, even though they were the ones holding the phone.

George Thompson says last January he was just sitting on his front porch, watching a Fall River police officer working a paid detail. Thompson says the officer was on his phone and was swearing very loud.

That’s when Thompson pulled out his phone. Thompson says Officer Tom Barboza then rushed him and arrested him, charging him with unlawful wiretapping.

But in Massachusetts it’s perfectly legal to record video and audio of a public official, including police, as long as they are performing their duties and the recording isn’t hidden. Barboza’s own police report shows that Thompson acknowledged he was recording the officer.

“I think we all have our basic rights and I think people should not record others secretly or surreptitiously,” Fall River Police Chief Daniel Racine told WPRI.

Thompson was released from jail, but police kept his phone and that’s where the story takes an interesting turn.

Thompson claims that two days after his arrest, his phone, which was locked up at the police station, somehow had all of the video erased.

“If a Fall River police officer erased that video, he’s fired,” Chief Racine said. “And I would suspect the district attorney would take out charges.”

George Thompson is not buying it. “They’re investigating themselves and there’s a code of blue and everybody knows that,” Thompson says.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/07/fall-river-man-arrested-for-videotaping-police-officer/

My nephew was a cop for over 5 years, he left that job because of the hypocrisy and ass covering they do on a daily basis. He was twice reprimanded for reporting the truth which clearly showed the arresting officer was lying in his report. They jumped him and told him he can not simply refute the other officer! They actually told him he must agree with the lies. I suspect this is spread all across the nation as I seen it all my life and have myself been a victim of an officer lying in order to arrest me and not the ass stomped victim that was a friend of his. This was after a half dozen witnesses reported the ass stomped guy back jumped me as I walked by his table. I got arrested for my self defense. Put up bond, went to court with three of the witnesses and got off with no fine or sentenced time. The lying officer had reported 4 of the witnesses had stated I threw the first punch. Two of the three witnesses that I MADE SURE SHOWED UP were listed by the lying officer as saying I threw the first punch. They testified the officer lied in his report. The officer was never punished in anyway by the court or by his police commander. The guy that assaulted me and got his just rewards for having done so was not arrested and got off free , well , except for the fine little ass stomping I laid on him. Seems he thought he was beyond touch because his "best friend"( the lying officer) was on city police force and two of his uncles were on the County police force. I dare say he learned I deal in reality and to hell with any supposed protective influence. I tend to deal with that after the fight is over. Some people have to learn the hard way... Was reported to me that his pattern of bullying greatly diminished after that. Needless to say if one deals with cops often enough they get their eyes opened..--Tyr