PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second

jimnyc
03-10-2014, 07:54 AM
And he did so in rather convincing fashion. Out of this poll, I like Paul, Cruz and Christie. I wonder if prior entries will try again this year? Or surprise entries? Will Romney try again? Does Palin think she can garner enough support (I don't think so, even though I love her).

http://i.imgur.com/VS5ZDk2.jpg

Sen. Rand Paul demolished his competition in the 2014 Washington Times/CPAC presidential preference straw poll on Saturday, winning 31 percent of the vote — nearly three times the total of second-place Sen. Ted Cruz.

The poll also found a strong plurality of attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference believe marijuana should be fully legalized, with 41 percent saying it’s time to change the law and tax it. Another 21 percent said it should be legalized only for medicinal purposes, while just 31 percent said it should remain illegal in all cases.

In the presidential poll, Mr. Cruz’s 11 percent was a big improvement for the freshman senator, who won just 4 percent in last year’s straw poll. Neurosurgeon Ben Carson was third with 9 percent and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was fourth with 8 percent in results that signal growing discontent with the GOP establishment in Washington.

Indeed, CPAC voters now have an unfavorable view of Republicans in Congress, with 51 percent saying they disapprove of the job the GOP is doing on Capitol Hill. Just last year the GOP had a 54 percent approval rating, and in 2012 they held a 70 percent approval rating.

But a series of tough votes over the last few months that saw Republican leaders work with President Obama to boost spending and raised the government’s debt limit have deepened a rift between the GOP’s leadership on Capitol Hill and conservative activists around the country.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/8/rand-paul-wins-2014-cpac-straw-poll-ted-cruz-finis/

fj1200
03-10-2014, 08:27 AM
And so did his dad multiple times IIRC.

jimnyc
03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
And so did his dad multiple times IIRC.

No doubt it's too early, and of course those polled aren't really your typical people to get a sampling from. I think he'll ultimately do better than Ron, as he has less baggage, and IMO better stances. But I think when and if he starts fully talking about security and foreign policy, that's where he'll be lacking. I could be wrong, as I haven't seen him speak about either very much yet.

I'm voting for Fred Thompson again! :)