PDA

View Full Version : The 7 most ridiculous things about the "ban bossy" campaign

tailfins
03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
http://thefederalist.com/2014/03/11/the-7-most-ridiculous-things-about-the-new-ban-bossy-campaign/

This biases the idea that the only way to be a leader is to order people around or be super assertive. In fact, there are all sorts of ways of being human and even of being a leader. And the idea that girls aren’t fully actualized unless they’re acting the way boys used to act before we medicated them away from it is not nearly as female-affirming as it sounds.

Funny, when I call a woman bossy, this image comes to mind:

Bossy
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/22/5d/48225d8fce0d5a4dee400400027138cf.jpg

gabosaurus
03-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Girls don't need to be taught to be "bossy." Just positive and assertive.
Past generations of girls have been taught that their only real career option is find a husband and have kids. And that they are secondary to men and belonged at home.
When I talk to secondary school girls, I emphasize that their options are unlimited. They can have ANY career that they wish to work for. The modern woman can run a major corporation with hundreds or thousands of employees. The guy who mocks you today can be taking orders from you 10 years from now.
Woman can get married and have children while also holding down great jobs. Men who feel otherwise are no longer relevant to the modern woman.
A good story I read a while back:

"When I was in school, there was a guy who always bullied me. He always told me what a loser I was. how I would never amount to much and how much better he was than me. Then he would take my money and smile. I saw him against yesterday. I asked him if he still felt the same way about me. He said he did. Again, he forced me to give him money and smiled as he took it. I couldn't get upset about it. After all, he made a great Subway sandwich."

Voted4Reagan
03-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Past generations of girls have been taught that their only real career option is find a husband and have kids. And that they are secondary to men and belonged at home.
When I talk to secondary school girls, I emphasize that their options are unlimited. They can have ANY career that they wish to work for. The modern woman can run a major corporation with hundreds or thousands of employees. The guy who mocks you today can be taking orders from you 10 years from now.
Woman can get married and have children while also holding down great jobs. Men who feel otherwise are no longer relevant to the modern woman.

"When I was in school, there was a guy who always bullied me. He always told me what a loser I was. how I would never amount to much and how much better he was than me. Then he would take my money and smile. I saw him against yesterday. I asked him if he still felt the same way about me. He said he did. Again, he forced me to give him money and smiled as he took it. I couldn't get upset about it. After all, he made a great Subway sandwich."

THIS IS A GOOD GABBY POST... Give her some Love!!

jimnyc
03-13-2014, 08:25 AM

That's all that needs to be said on this matter. Teach kids, give them knowledge and don't let them be labels. But don't "ban" a word, that's just dumb.

fj1200
03-13-2014, 09:14 AM
My daughter is bossy, there ain't no other word...

jimnyc
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
My daughter is bossy, there ain't no other word...

That's it, you just scarred her for life now. How dare you label her!! :poke:

And bossy, you ought see my wife, who thinks at times I am her personal slave...

fj1200
03-13-2014, 09:19 AM
That's it, you just scarred her for life now. How dare you label her!! :poke:

And bossy, you ought see my wife, who thinks at times I am her personal slave...

Some more similarities I see. FML :laugh:

tailfins
03-13-2014, 10:11 AM

That all depends whether that assertiveness to used to defend things that function as advertized or sweep things that are broken under the rug with perception management, social posturing, meetings, reports, etc. If a woman is fighting for things to function as adverized, I will be right there with her. If she is doing otherwise, I will resist every way I can.

People who fight for things to function as advertized will always be relevant. I have contempt for executives regardless of gender. Feminists however seem to naturally gravitate towards perception management, social posturing, meetings, reports, etc. As long as they do that and I don't have to have contact with them, I will always have job security fixing what they break.

tailfins
03-13-2014, 10:41 AM
....I will always have job security fixing what they break.

And yes someone like me could be forced to "serve" the likes of you. You put in a service ticket. Now I have a choice. I can analyze the system and do repairs or I can get userIDs, check data, etc and do forensic work where my deliverable is a report on your boss' desk detailing how much damage the item described in the ticket has cost the organization and how it's your fault.

Abbey Marie
03-13-2014, 12:01 PM
And yes someone like me could be forced to "serve" the likes of you. You put in a service ticket. Now I have a choice. I can analyze the system and do repairs or I can get userIDs, check data, etc and do forensic work where my deliverable is a report on your boss' desk detailing how much damage the item described in the ticket has cost the organization and how it's your fault.

When my husband is on-call for Network issues, his boss expects him to address the ticket ASAP. If he instead went to his boss with a report on what the problem did to the company, he'd most likely be soon looking for a new job.

They have specific ex post facto meetings to discuss any issues, and you can be sure that any failure to quickly handle the problem would be THE topic of conversation even there.

tailfins
03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
When my husband is on-call for Network issues, his boss expects him to address the ticket ASAP. If he instead went to his boss with a report on what the problem did to the company, he'd most likely be soon looking for a new job.

They have specific ex post facto meetings to discuss any issues, and you can be sure that any failure to quickly handle the problem would be THE topic of conversation even there.

I'm the guy that digs into the code and data. There's some leeway to determine if it's a coding bug, incompatible data, user error or a need for additional features. It sounds like your husband is too micromanaged. I have been told my value is that I'm a stickler for proper coding practices. My code is the easiest to maintain. I particularly despise people who obfuscate their code so they can be "indispensible". My goal is to work myself out of a job with excellent recommendations so I can get a new gig and raise my rates.

If I REALLY want to help somebody, I can say a utility is needed then build it. If I don't, I can say they are not using good data. Both statements can be true.

gabosaurus
03-13-2014, 06:14 PM
And bossy, you ought see my wife, who knows I am her personal slave...

Sorry Jim, your wife called in the listed correction. :boobies:

aboutime
03-14-2014, 02:50 PM

Do you think your bully husband would be happy about making all of us Sandwiches too?

gabosaurus
03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Do you think your bully husband would be happy about making all of us Sandwiches too?

My husband doesn't make sandwiches. Nor do I. My daughter would tell you to make your own sandwich.

aboutime
03-15-2014, 02:30 PM
My husband doesn't make sandwiches. Nor do I. My daughter would tell you to make your own sandwich.

Of course not gabby. He makes all of his sandwiches at work...in the SUBWAY shop. As for your daughter. She should try to convince him to bring her a sandwich from work too!