PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Computer Ready To Make The Jump?

Pale Rider
06-18-2007, 08:08 AM
If your computer is over a year old, probably not. But if it's like mine, relatively new, then upgrading to Windows Vista is probably a good idea.

You can find out here if your computer is upgradable, and if your periferals are compatible... QUICK SELF-TEST. (http://www.windowsvista.com/upgradeadvisor)

Sitarro
06-18-2007, 09:04 AM
If your computer is over a year old, probably not. But if it's like mine, relatively new, then upgrading to Windows Vista is probably a good idea.

You can find out here if your computer is upgradable, and if your periferals are compatible... QUICK SELF-TEST. (http://www.windowsvista.com/upgradeadvisor)

All of the people that I know, that made that jump, regretted it.

Pale Rider
06-18-2007, 09:21 AM

I went through the install advisor myself, and even though my system was adequate, there was major conflict with seven or eight of my programs. So... I'm going to go with, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

diuretic
06-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I thought about it, looked at the price and decided I could use the money elsewhere :laugh2:

I'm not going near Vista for a while (even when I can afford it). XP is fine, I have a dual boot with the latest Ubuntu and the other slow (Celeron) computer (everyone should have a backup) runs fine on Vector (Linux).

I thought about this the other day. The only reason I have Windows is the flight simulators and add-ons that are available, other than that I'd go all Linux.

Yes, shallow, I know :laugh2:

Sitarro
06-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I thought about it, looked at the price and decided I could use the money elsewhere :laugh2:

I'm not going near Vista for a while (even when I can afford it). XP is fine, I have a dual boot with the latest Ubuntu and the other slow (Celeron) computer (everyone should have a backup) runs fine on Vector (Linux).

I thought about this the other day. The only reason I have Windows is the flight simulators and add-ons that are available, other than that I'd go all Linux.

Yes, shallow, I know :laugh2:

My brother has a Windows machine that he bought for the same reason but he has gotten to the point where he doesn't want to turn it on. Besides, he is now an instructor for a major airline and spends a great deal of time in their simulators. He does make training films and they are all done on his MAC setup in Final Cut Pro.

A friend just bought a Windows based laptop and it came with Vista installed..... I watched him try to add upgrades to it and was amazed at how much time was wasted and how inefficient it is, reminded me of the Mac commercial with the guy behind PC asking permission to do everything PC wanted to do.

KarlMarx
06-18-2007, 09:59 AM
The rule I follow with new operating systems is... don't upgrade until Service Pack 1 has been released (at least!). You don't want to be an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft.

Pale Rider
06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
The rule I follow with new operating systems is... don't upgrade until Service Pack 1 has been released (at least!). You don't want to be an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft.

It's supposed to be more secure. But if I add anymore security to my machine, hell, I won't even be able to log on to the internet. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-18-2007, 11:45 AM
The primary problem with Vista is that you only get the main features in Vista Premium, which happens to come at a premium extra charge.
I am sure Vista is good, but I prefer to stick with XP. Especially since most anti-virus and anti-spyware products are not compatible with Vista yet.

Pale Rider
06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Sitarro
06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
The primary problem with Vista is that you only get the main features in Vista Premium, which happens to come at a premium extra charge.
I am sure Vista is good, but I prefer to stick with XP. Especially since most anti-virus and anti-spyware products are not compatible with Vista yet.

Steve Jobs made a joke about that at the developers conference. Apple's latest version of OS X....Leopard..... will come with everything for 129 dollars and it will run Windows.

5stringJeff
06-18-2007, 07:40 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

shattered
06-18-2007, 09:49 PM
This, from the highest paid compu-geek I know:

"Vista is the most retarded fucking thing on the planet."

CockySOB
06-18-2007, 10:09 PM
This, from the highest paid compu-geek I know:

"Vista is the most retarded fucking thing on the planet."

Whoever that person is... they're right! It's going to be a little bit better than the Windows ME fiasco, but not by much.

shattered
06-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Whoever that person is... they're right! It's going to be a little bit better than the Windows ME fiasco, but not by much.

My guess would be that's why they get paid so much. :D

Pale Rider
06-19-2007, 09:58 AM
OK... forget I started this thread... :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
06-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Since I got robbed, I've been thinking about using my insurance money to replace my stolen sony vaio with a macbook. I'm slightly uneasy about it because I know windows and have used it all my life, but I've heard such great things about macs and have experienced so much crap with windows that I think it'll be worth learning the new operating system. Any thoughts?

*By the way, I too have installed a computer with "vista" on it and it was clunky, slow and froze-up a lot right out of the box. :dunno: All of which are things windows is known for.

No1tovote4
06-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Never purchase a new windows OS until SR2 comes out. Seriously. I am microsoft certified and I give you this advice for free.

Do not load the first edition of any new windows OS.

No1tovote4
06-19-2007, 10:57 AM
My brother has a Windows machine that he bought for the same reason but he has gotten to the point where he doesn't want to turn it on. Besides, he is now an instructor for a major airline and spends a great deal of time in their simulators. He does make training films and they are all done on his MAC setup in Final Cut Pro.

A friend just bought a Windows based laptop and it came with Vista installed..... I watched him try to add upgrades to it and was amazed at how much time was wasted and how inefficient it is, reminded me of the Mac commercial with the guy behind PC asking permission to do everything PC wanted to do.

It is a pain at this time because many of the products do not have drivers for the new OS. You have to find them, and in many cases wait for them.

No1tovote4
06-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Since I got robbed, I've been thinking about using my insurance money to replace my stolen sony vaio with a macbook. I'm slightly uneasy about it because I know windows and have used it all my life, but I've heard such great things about macs and have experienced so much crap with windows that I think it'll be worth learning the new operating system. Any thoughts?

*By the way, I too have installed a computer with "vista" on it and it was clunky, slow and froze-up a lot right out of the box. :dunno: All of which are things windows is known for.

It won't take much learning. With the dock and the two-button mouse available because of the linux underlay it acts very much like a windows system.

I love the way that XP and MAC work together. XP is very much the best OS by Microsoft so far. Vista, IMO was a quick release to get that 64 bit badge.

CockySOB
06-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Never purchase a new windows OS until SR2 comes out. Seriously. I am microsoft certified and I give you this advice for free.

Do not load the first edition of any new windows OS.

Heh. That makes two of us who are Microsoft Certified saying the same thing. I agree on your advice about SR2/SP2 as well, although I also go by a more informal 2 year wait after initial public release before even considering the new OS.

Sitarro
06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
It won't take much learning. With the dock and the two-button mouse available because of the linux underlay it acts very much like a windows system.

I love the way that XP and MAC work together. XP is very much the best OS by Microsoft so far. Vista, IMO was a quick release to get that 64 bit badge.

I use a logitech 3 button cordless mouse that I use with my G-4, I never liked the shape of Apple's mice. Although I fooled with their new Mighty Mouse and the little scroll ball is pretty ingenious.

I thought that Microsoft had been working on Vista under some other names for over 5 years, not a very quick release.

Pale Rider
06-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I use a logitech 3 button cordless mouse that I use with my G-4, I never liked the shape of Apple's mice. Although I fooled with their new Mighty Mouse and the little scroll ball is pretty ingenious.

I thought that Microsoft had been working on Vista under some other names for over 5 years, not a very quick release.

I use a Microsoft five button mouse.

I sure am glad I started this thread. I was actually contemplating MS Vista. Now, I'll for sure just stick with XP.

CockySOB
06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I use a Microsoft five button mouse.

I sure am glad I started this thread. I was actually contemplating MS Vista. Now, I'll for sure just stick with XP.

Wise choice. Normally industry just goes along wiht whatever "latest" edition Microsoft puts out, however with Vista, most industry has said, "no!" The outcry against Vista from the business community was so loud in fact, that manufacturers like Dell ended up putting XP BACK onto their ordering options for business.

I'd guess Vista might be ready for a serious look sometime in 2009, but I don't expect it to make any serious inroads until then.

5stringJeff
06-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Here's a good way to figure out if you need Vista:

http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2007/02/vista_upgrade_flowchart.pdf