PDA

View Full Version : 500 miles (800 km) on gravel, what would you do?

tailfins
03-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I got a June rental reservation on a Jeep Compass NOT 4WD for $200/week, unlimited km, pick up and return in Quebec City. If I use the rental, I will park my FJ cruiser 4x4 at the airport and make a huge circle through western Labrador, then almost all of Atlantic Canada. The total cost including parking my own vehicle of the rental will be $600 to $1200 depending on how much I damage the rental vehicle. 500 miles of gravel WILL damage a vehicle. If I use my 2014 FJ cruiser, I will damage it, it's a matter of how much. If I use my FJ, it will offer opportunities to go offroading. Which vehicle would you use?

The tourist brochure advises buying an extra wheel with mounted tire before making the trip. In one case, I always have an extra spare wheel. If I rent, I gift the extra wheel to the rental agency.

Gaffer
03-18-2014, 11:31 AM
A waste of time and money, but have fun.

jimnyc
03-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I got a June rental reservation on a Jeep Compass NOT 4WD for $200/week, unlimited km, pick up and return in Quebec City. If I use the rental, I will park my FJ cruiser 4x4 at the airport and make a huge circle through western Labrador, then almost all of Atlantic Canada. The total cost including parking my own vehicle of the rental will be $600 to $1200 depending on how much I damage the rental vehicle. 500 miles of gravel WILL damage a vehicle. If I use my 2014 FJ cruiser, I will damage it, it's a matter of how much. If I use my FJ, it will offer opportunities to go offroading. Which vehicle would you use?

The tourist brochure advises buying an extra wheel with mounted tire before making the trip. In one case, I always have an extra spare wheel. If I rent, I gift the extra wheel to the rental agency.

I definitely would not take the brand new vehicle. You don't want to even put the slightest of scratches on the new one. And taking a rental somewhere you KNOW it's going to get damaged? I hope they don't add on tons of fees and/or try and take advantage of you. I've seen/heard of people get contacted weeks after they return a rental only to find out they are demanding say like $1k for repairs for the damage you caused. If you do go this route, bring your digital and take TONS of before and after pictures, and hopefully a signed receipt that you returned it in good condition. Also look for EVERYTHING when you pick it up, make a note of anything at all out of place and have them acknowledge as much, otherwise you may be on the hook for prior damage.

I would go to "Rent a Wreck" and find something you can beat the shit out of! LOL

tailfins
03-18-2014, 12:08 PM
I definitely would not take the brand new vehicle. You don't want to even put the slightest of scratches on the new one. And taking a rental somewhere you KNOW it's going to get damaged? I hope they don't add on tons of fees and/or try and take advantage of you. I've seen/heard of people get contacted weeks after they return a rental only to find out they are demanding say like $1k for repairs for the damage you caused. If you do go this route, bring your digital and take TONS of before and after pictures, and hopefully a signed receipt that you returned it in good condition. Also look for EVERYTHING when you pick it up, make a note of anything at all out of place and have them acknowledge as much, otherwise you may be on the hook for prior damage.

I would go to "Rent a Wreck" and find something you can beat the shit out of! LOL

I like your input. I'm leaning towards the rental. My regular car insurance and my credit card covers casualites like a broken windshield. The rental company already agreed to let me replace the tires on my own if I destroy them as long as are the exact same size. I'm OK with a grand for repairs; vacations cost money. Hertz Canada has actually relaxed a bit on Trans Labrador Highway rental. It used to be "verboten", now it's "you're on your own". It will be permitted in the contract, but specifically excluded from LDW coverage and no roadside assistance in Labrador.

fj1200
03-18-2014, 12:32 PM
The FJ of course. Any knicks will be badges of honor. Are there any companies that rent specifically for that sort of thing though?

And I don't think I'd take a Jeep Compass anywhere let alone without roadside assistance in the middle of nowhere. Did you check out Expedition Portal (http://www.expeditionportal.com/)?

tailfins
03-18-2014, 01:00 PM
The FJ of course. Any knicks will be badges of honor. Are there any companies that rent specifically for that sort of thing though?

And I don't think I'd take a Jeep Compass anywhere let alone without roadside assistance in the middle of nowhere.

Now you see why I'm conflicted. Back in 1985 I drove a 1982 Nissan Stanza down the Dempster Highway to Fort McPherson, Northwest Territories. The entire round trip from home was 10,800 MILES or about 17,000 km. It uses fine flint for the gravel. I kept my speed down to 60 km/h, avoided paint damage and didn't get a broken windshield. It did however grind the tread off all four tires. Thankfully, Canadian Tire is only 10-20% more expensive than a US Wal-mart for tires. The TLH uses large, round gravel taken for riverbeds. Bikers complain it's like riding on marbles. Canadian Tire is a must-visit anyway. They have equipment sections with knowledable advisors on what gear you need for whatever season/time/activity in the Canadian wilderness. It looks like I will beat the black flies hatching because of the unusually long winter this year.

Rentals specifically for the TLH run $500 to $750 per week.

fj1200
03-18-2014, 01:05 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=expedition+portal+trans+labrador+highway+ site:www.expeditionportal.com&espv=2&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=667#q=trans+labrador+highway+site:www.expediti onportal.com

tailfins
03-18-2014, 02:31 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=expedition+portal+trans+labrador+highway+ site:www.expeditionportal.com&espv=2&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=667#q=trans+labrador+highway+site:www.expediti onportal.com

Thanks! I'm getting less and less nervous about taking the FJ Cruiser as long as I keep my speed down. Does the FJ in your user ID mean FJ Cruiser? A rock at 60 km/h does far less damage than one at 100 km/h. There are also accessories that can mitigate the damage.

namvet
03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
I have a 2012 Jeep Compass.

http://i62.tinypic.com/1zztyu.jpg

it on demand 4WD with full time traction. remote engine start and butt warmers

fj1200
03-19-2014, 05:34 AM
Thanks! I'm getting less and less nervous about taking the FJ Cruiser as long as I keep my speed down. Does the FJ in your user ID mean FJ Cruiser? A rock at 60 km/h does far less damage than one at 100 km/h. There are also accessories that can mitigate the damage.

Nope not as in FJ Cruiser. But I do like them.

http://www.rddecals.afegraphics.com/images/87fj1200-side-shot-300w.jpg

I did read one thread in particular that said hey had a lot of paint damage from rocks on his Mitsubishi Delica but he also had larger aftermarket wheels with nothing to protect the body. I did go see an expedition movie at a local auto shop recently and just about everybody there drove in their 4x4s, Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, etc. and at least one FJ Cruiser that was pretty beat up because I'm sure he was out every weekend finding some rocks to climb over. ;)

I'd seek out a local group of expedition fanatics and pick their brains.

KitchenKitten99
03-25-2014, 04:14 PM
You buy the cruiser, brag about it... then you don't want to take it out to do what it is supposedly designed to do?

That's like buying a Ram 2500 and highlighting all about its capabilities but then all you do is use it as a daily driver (aka tar-baby).

The Compass with 4x4 can handle many extremes, but since you state that you are thinking of renting a 4x2... what is your ultimate goal of this trip? What do you REALLY want to do?

If you want to rent a vehicle and keep your FJ parked (again... not sure why this would be the case), find a Grand Cherokee. If you want a bit smaller, go with the Cherokee. The Compass is like a 'Cherokee Light'.

tailfins
03-25-2014, 04:54 PM
You buy the cruiser, brag about it... then you don't want to take it out to do what it is supposedly designed to do?

That's like buying a Ram 2500 and highlighting all about its capabilities but then all you do is use it as a daily driver (aka tar-baby).

The Compass with 4x4 can handle many extremes, but since you state that you are thinking of renting a 4x2... what is your ultimate goal of this trip? What do you REALLY want to do?

If you want to rent a vehicle and keep your FJ parked (again... not sure why this would be the case), find a Grand Cherokee. If you want a bit smaller, go with the Cherokee. The Compass is like a 'Cherokee Light'.

Over at fjcruiserforums, the advice was to take the FJ Cruiser and install these before the trip:

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-9629

with the optional fill plates for added protection

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-9634

Furthermore, they provide a nice step to retrieve items from the roof rack.