PDA

View Full Version : KNow who this is?

CSM
03-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Can any of you guess who these two are?

Gaffer
03-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Col. Moore and his chief master sgt? That's the only guy I can think of that would wear stripes like that in the field. A snipers dream.

SassyLady
03-20-2014, 04:23 AM
CSM and Gunny?

j/k ... I have no idea.

CSM
03-20-2014, 06:57 AM
CSM and Gunny?

j/k ... I have no idea.

Colonel Moore and his Sergeant Major ... they were soldiers once .... and young!

The good SM may have been a sniper's dream but he was one bad ass dude. He never did get shot by any sniper either.

CSM
03-20-2014, 06:58 AM
CSM and Gunny?

j/k ... I have no idea.

LOL! Back in those days I was a dumb ass E-4.

fj1200
03-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Nope. I cheated.

CSM
03-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Nope. I cheated.

That's ok. At least you took the time to look. I appreciate that.

Gaffer
03-20-2014, 08:20 AM

I knew it was from the Vietnam era, so I knew it couldn't be you, that would make you about 120 some years old. :laugh:

CSM
03-20-2014, 08:26 AM
I knew it was from the Vietnam era, so I knew it couldn't be you, that would make you about 120 some years old. :laugh:

LOL...well less than half that in reality.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Well, every dumbass had to start somewhere. :poke:

So you are the "old codger" that I thought you might be. ;)

Joking aside, I must say I appreciate your service. Two best friends I ever had were combat veterans(Korean war and Vietnam war). Both now passed on but even at my age now I still miss them both .. A rare honor to even have one such honorable friend but two was a huge blessing. Together they saved me from a bad fate IMHO.. --Tyr

CSM
03-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Well, every dumbass had to start somewhere. :poke:

So you are the "old codger" that I thought you might be. ;)

Joking aside, I must say I appreciate your service. Two best friends I ever had were combat veterans(Korean war and Vietnam war). Both now passed on but even at my age now I still miss them both .. A rare honor to even have one such honorable friend but two was a huge blessing. Together they saved me from a bad fate IMHO.. --Tyr

I prefer to think of myself as a curmudgeon rather than a codger.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2014, 10:15 AM
I couldn't guess, but I like the picture. So manly... :cool:

CSM
03-20-2014, 10:36 AM
I couldn't guess, but I like the picture. So manly... :cool:

Those guys and a whole lot of others just like them were true heroes. They didn't have orange/purple hair, occupy wallstreet, lie about the environment or worry about who was offended by what words or names. They largely got ignored for their troubles.

aboutime
03-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Nam vets!

Knew six of them from grade school, and high school. Their names are forever on a Wall.

CSM
03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Nam vets!

Knew six of them from grade school, and high school. Their names are forever on a Wall.

Quite a few of my friends' names or on that Wall.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Nam vets!

I knew one well that was killed over there. He was from my hometown. Became great friends with another that moved to my hometown. Third one from my hometown, Red Vanhoozer lost his left leg fighting there and came home with other unseen injuries. Died age 54 from drinking and drugs ... Guy was straight as an arrow before he went to that shathole to fight. All our guys there were heroes in my book. --Tyr

Abbey Marie
03-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Those guys and a whole lot of others just like them were true heroes. They didn't have orange/purple hair, occupy wallstreet, lie about the environment or worry about who was offended by what words or names. They largely got ignored for their troubles.

:thumb: My oldest brother being one of them.

gabosaurus
03-20-2014, 10:09 PM
My dad's best friend served three tours of duty in Viet Nam. He was wounded a couple of times. The conflict and the way it was bungled by the government, along with the way returning vets were treated, turned him against the government and military hierarchy. He now supports the anti-war movement. He disliked Bush and refused to shake hands with him. He also refused to meet Obama.
Does this make him less of a hero?

Gaffer
03-20-2014, 10:33 PM
My best friend as a kid is on the wall. He was killed in Quantri Provence. One year after his death I was in Quantri province and I hope I had some part in avenging him there.

CSM
03-21-2014, 06:55 AM
My dad's best friend served three tours of duty in Viet Nam. He was wounded a couple of times. The conflict and the way it was bungled by the government, along with the way returning vets were treated, turned him against the government and military hierarchy. He now supports the anti-war movement. He disliked Bush and refused to shake hands with him. He also refused to meet Obama.
Does this make him less of a hero?

Of course not. Ironically (or not) I am pretty much anti-war myself. That being said, I did not and will not toss my medals and ribbons over anyone's wall, I do not call soldiers names or denigrate their service, I do not use the pictures of caskets for personal or political gain and I sure as hell do not expect that my past service makes me in any way smarter/better than anyone else. Am I proud of my service? You betcha! I and many others have faced some pretty daunting obstacles (personal, moral and physical) and, by the grace of God, managed to overcome them. Whatever personal benefits I EARNED through my 28 years of service were part of a CONTRACT between myself and the US Government and the citizens of this country. Many of those citizens pay money to fufill their side of the contract; my end of the contract (and those like me who signed on the dotted line), was paid in full through blood, sacrifice, many tears and doing the job I was asked to do.

[RANT ON]

What really pisses me off is when those on the other side of my little contract start to backpedal.

"Thanks for your service but it is too expensive to maintain the price agreed upon in our contract. We instead have decided (nearly 50 years later) that your service was not worth the cost in dollars. Therefore, we are reducing your retirement benefits so that we may aid those who have done NOTHING for this country, are not even citizens of this country and have done NOTHING to earn that aid (in fact, we do not even have a contract with them nor do we intend to offer one). By the way, sorry for the tragic deaths of your friends but they knew what they signed up for as part of the job. Again, thank you for your service even though in retropsect it wasn't that big a deal after all."

That's what pisses me off.

[RANT OFF]

aboutime
03-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Of course not. Ironically (or not) I am pretty much anti-war myself. That being said, I did not and will not toss my medals and ribbons over anyone's wall, I do not call soldiers names or denigrate their service, I do not use the pictures of caskets for personal or political gain and I sure as hell do not expect that my past service makes me in any way smarter/better than anyone else. Am I proud of my service? You betcha! I and many others have faced some pretty daunting obstacles (personal, moral and physical) and, by the grace of God, managed to overcome them. Whatever personal benefits I EARNED through my 28 years of service were part of a CONTRACT between myself and the US Government and the citizens of this country. Many of those citizens pay money to fufill their side of the contract; my end of the contract (and those like me who signed on the dotted line), was paid in full through blood, sacrifice, many tears and doing the job I was asked to do.

[RANT ON]

What really pisses me off is when those on the other side of my little contract start to backpedal.

"Thanks for your service but it is too expensive to maintain the price agreed upon in our contract. We instead have decided (nearly 50 years later) that your service was not worth the cost in dollars. Therefore, we are reducing your retirement benefits so that we may aid those who have done NOTHING for this country, are not even citizens of this country and have done NOTHING to earn that aid (in fact, we do not even have a contract with them nor do we intend to offer one). By the way, sorry for the tragic deaths of your friends but they knew what they signed up for as part of the job. Again, thank you for your service even though in retropsect it wasn't that big a deal after all."

That's what pisses me off.

[RANT OFF]

Thanks CSM. I suspect...most of us feel that way these days. We know...mutually....as Veterans, what we had to put up with for all of those years. All the time..pretending to smile, because we represented a nation WE THOUGHT...would support us in every way.
This isn't over by any means. Just thankful I'm no longer living under the restrictions MOST CIVILIANS would never believe, understand...or stick around long enough to complete.
I feel terrible for our PRESENT members in Uniform who...if they are serious Patriotic men, and women..rather than taking advantage of their SEXUAL proclivities in demands, and crybaby world.
I have a feeling...the worst is yet to come.
As long as we have the IDIOT-IN-CHIEF we have today.
The America YOU, and I Served...will continue to disappear.