PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Cabbies Upset Over Proposed Hygiene, Dress Code Requirements

jimnyc
03-19-2014, 03:49 PM
This is kinda funny. But to be honest, I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've gotten in a cab in NYC that stunk like body odor that made you wanna gag. If you're going to expect people to get in and out of your cab all day long, have the decency to not smell like a farm animal!

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — New proposed rules for cab drivers in Sacramento are causing some cabbies to think they’re being taken for a ride.

At a time when competition for cabs has never been more fierce, drivers say the new rules, including a dress code and hygiene guidelines, are just not fair.

Ahmid Mahmoud is fired up about the proposed changes.

“We don’t have rent to pay? We don’t have bills to pay?” he said.

So he’s lining up his fellow drivers to take on City Hall.

The city is considering putting stricter rules in place for Sacramento taxi drivers including:

Making sure vehicles are no more than 8 years old,
A dress code of a collared shirt and slacks,
Making it mandatory for all taxis to accept credit cards,
and a new policy requiring drivers to be hygienically clean.

“That’s very insulting for me, and for all drivers,” Mahmoud said, calling the last requirement unnecessary.

Facing growing competition from web-based rides Uber and the ride-sharing service Lyft, some Sacramento taxi drivers say the proposed cabbie crackdown could put the brakes on their business.

The city calls it good business.

“I want them to be the ambassadors, and be the representatives for our city,” said Dafna Gauthier.

The proposal also calls for drivers to take a cabbie quiz testing their command of the English language.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/03/18/sacramento-cabbies-upset-over-proposed-hygiene-dress-code-requirements/

aboutime
03-20-2014, 01:52 PM
What could be so unfair, or restrictive as.....A SHOWER? And...DEODORANT???

“That’s very insulting for me, and for all drivers,” Mahmoud said, calling the last requirement unnecessary."

Why not have people REFUSE to get in their cab....if it stinks?

Common sense is all they need. Poor "Mahmoud".

Noir
03-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Don't see how this is enforceable as cabbies are self employed =/ Not to mention that some odours are pretty much woven into the fabric of someones clothes depending on their lifestyle, as is commonly asserted, westerners smell of sour milk and so on.

gabosaurus
03-20-2014, 02:47 PM
I would love to see a nationwide ordinance against people who stink. Which would be all smokers.

aboutime
03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Don't see how this is enforceable as cabbies are self employed =/ Not to mention that some odours are pretty much woven into the fabric of someones clothes depending on their lifestyle, as is commonly asserted, westerners smell of sour milk and so on.

Noir. Consider this. You may not be the proper person to discuss this topic with, here.

I wouldn't want to insult, or offend you, talking about such things.

Trigg
03-20-2014, 03:44 PM

Don't most work for a company??? I know NYC cabbies are awarded medallions, but I would think they also work for some company or other???

I don't see how personally hygiene is such an affront to this guy. I agree that lifestyle will lead to odors (smoking especially), but horrible body odor is something else entirely.

aboutime
03-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Don't most work for a company??? I know NYC cabbies are awarded medallions, but I would think they also work for some company or other???

I don't see how personally hygiene is such an affront to this guy. I agree that lifestyle will lead to odors (smoking especially), but horrible body odor is something else entirely.

Trigg. Until you visit NYC, and actually take a chance on a TAXI ride cross town. It doesn't matter whether they work for a company or not.

Nothin' like the LITERAL ODOR...of climbing into one. The hardest part is..getting the STENCH (Literally) out of your clothes after the ride.

Not a joke. You have to try it to understand.

gabosaurus
03-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Trigg. Until you visit NYC, and actually take a chance on a TAXI ride cross town. It doesn't matter whether they work for a company or not.

Nothin' like the LITERAL ODOR...of climbing into one. The hardest part is..getting the STENCH (Literally) out of your clothes after the ride.

Not a joke. You have to try it to understand.

Which is why I always rode the subway. As a profession, cab drivers are about as honest and friendly as tow truck drivers.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Cabbies in NYC have to be licensed (very expensive), and I believe the competition is tough. A license awarded is also one that can be taken away.

The hygiene rule males sense to me. We riders don't know what we are getting into until we are already seated in the cab. By then, it's not always feasible to get out and find another cab. The collared shirt and slacks seem unnecessary.

jafar00
03-21-2014, 04:37 AM
A simple daily shower and some deodorant should be standard for everyone, not just taxi drivers. I avoid trains if I can for this reason. People stink. Especially that stale cigarettes and wino stink of someone who's been on an all nighter.

It's a universal thing for cabbies to stink sometimes. It happens in every country I've been in except Egypt, Libya and other African countries where I never got a bad smelling cab.

Just have some respect for others and have a wash before you go out in public. That should be a given.

Jeff
03-21-2014, 07:04 AM

The Government will step in a set rules for O/O just like they do in the trucking industry, yes many of the big trucks on the road are owned and operated by there owners but they have more laws thrown at them than they know what to do with, just because you own your own business doesn't mean uncle Sam wont run it for ya.

CSM
03-21-2014, 07:10 AM
I would love to see a nationwide ordinance against people who stink. Which would be all smokers.

Yep...and I would love to see a nationwide ordinance against stupidity. Which would be all liberals.

I love how this trolling stuff works!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Cab ride is nothing. Try being seated next to one on a very long flight in a plane with no other seats available to demand a seating change!! Pure torture for hours and hours!!! Yet we so often hear how enlightened "certain ones" are from their defenders. How damn enlightened is it to never take a bath!?? --Tyr

Noir
03-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Cabbies in NYC have to be licensed (very expensive), and I believe the competition is tough. A license awarded is also one that can be taken away. The hygiene rule males sense t me. We riders don't know what we are getting into until we are already seated in the cab. By then, it's not always feasible to get out and find another cab. The collared shirt and slacks seem unnecessary.

Yeah a uniform is enforceable, but not a 'when was the lat time you showered' bit.

Gaffer
03-21-2014, 09:11 AM
All this talk of smelly people and transportation brought this to mind.

http://youtu.be/NELYFptqCt8

jimnyc
03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah a uniform is enforceable, but not a 'when was the lat time you showered' bit.

At least here in the US, unless you're a mechanic or another job getting dirty all day long - your employer will expect you to not smell offensive. If so, they will generally politely pull you aside and ask you to take care of it. And yes, they can legally fire you if you refuse. And I'm betting the majority of these people don't sit within a few feet of clients! Whether they have an employer or self contractors, they must follow regulations of the taxi and limousine commission, or the equivalent of their area. I don't see how they can enforce though, other than a spot check. If a rider complains, how do they know if it were true or not?

Some of the cabs are OK in the city, some of them smell like incense - and others like REAL nasty body odor. That kind of body odor WILL stick to the rider for awhile. If I came into an instance like that again I would get out and find another cab. But you must do so before the driver drives even a single foot in NY - as the instant they pull away you are on the hook for the initial fee, and then per mile/minute.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-21-2014, 10:13 AM
All this talk of smelly people and transportation brought this to mind.

http://youtu.be/NELYFptqCt8

I got a big kick out of that.. I didn't when I was the victim many times of being forced into too close proximity of such non-bathing people. They may come from desert nations with a great lack of water but over here water is everywhere and so are bathtubs and showers. Going around smelling so bad is just laziness and an utter contempt for the consideration of others.

Here is a true incident that happened to me and it was a big fat black woman(a local citizen) not a "guest" from a desert nation .

I was in a much shorter line at a crowded store and next customer rushing over behind me was this extremely overweight black woman. Her body odor was so bad that I ran away back to the very long line at the other register. When I finally got to the register to pay the cashier looked at me and said,
"I don't not blame you , she comes here often and always smells like that . I refused to check her out about a year ago because her smell was so bad. She complained to the store manager over the phone. He told her next time in the store point out the casher so I can correct her on her refusing to wait on you.
Sure enough she came in next day , inquired to see the manager and went to his office. He hurriedly rushed her out of his office and gave the store's corporate number to call after she pointed me out to him. After she left he came over and told me do not worry, no problem. I'd never tell you to endure that extremely horrible smell as it almost made me puke. I will also call to relay her name and complaint to corporate along with a recommendation that they totally ignore her and then tell them why.. As the cashier was telling me this I saw two men rush over behind the woman to be in that shorter line that had stalled because some fool 's check wasn't good then her credit card wasn't good and then she was taking forever trying to dig for money in that huge suitcase purse she was carrying . Both men after a few seconds rush away from that line . Cashier saw that and said as I was leaving, "see you aren't alone." :laugh:

She smelled worse than any human I ever been around. I truly almost gagged the short time I was near her.. Not possible for any cabbie to smell worse.. simply impossible..-Tyr

Abbey Marie
03-21-2014, 05:18 PM

Why not? Riders can file a complaint if the cabbie smells, and if enough complaints pile up, the licensing body can enforce in accordance with its established rules.

aboutime
03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Noir. Enough of the dancing around the subject. What do YOU have against cleansing your body, or against other people taking care of their bodily odors that can, and do offend.

Is there a shortage of bath water and soap near where you live?

Not accusing you of anything. But you certainly sound like you are defending cab drivers who STINK.

jafar00
03-23-2014, 04:02 AM
Cab ride is nothing. Try being seated next to one on a very long flight in a plane with no other seats available to demand a seating change!! Pure torture for hours and hours!!! Yet we so often hear how enlightened "certain ones" are from their defenders. How damn enlightened is it to never take a bath!?? --Tyr

Travelling business class has it's advantages ;)

DragonStryk72
03-23-2014, 07:34 AM

Oh no you wouldn't, Gabs. Can you imagine how you'd feel if you got stopped at least once a week because you smelled after working out? Or here's one, getting stopped by the cops and issued a citation because someone reported your "smell" because they don't like your perfume?

Now, people mentioned a plane, so here's a thought: What if they had showered, and then, in the process of the runaround, began sweating? OH MY GOD,those bastards! How dare people have a hectic day that inconveniences me!! Clearly, they should have to spend hundreds of dollars to reschedule their flight, and then run home again ten minutes before their new flight to take a half hour long shower, because it inconveniences me. Sure, I could act like an understanding adult who has at some point had a day that went against him, but no, it's clearly better to act like a spoiled high schooler.

jimnyc
03-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Oh no you wouldn't, Gabs. Can you imagine how you'd feel if you got stopped at least once a week because you smelled after working out? Or here's one, getting stopped by the cops and issued a citation because someone reported your "smell" because they don't like your perfume?

Now, people mentioned a plane, so here's a thought: What if they had showered, and then, in the process of the runaround, began sweating? OH MY GOD,those bastards! How dare people have a hectic day that inconveniences me!! Clearly, they should have to spend hundreds of dollars to reschedule their flight, and then run home again ten minutes before their new flight to take a half hour long shower, because it inconveniences me. Sure, I could act like an understanding adult who has at some point had a day that went against him, but no, it's clearly better to act like a spoiled high schooler.

I agree that there's no feasible way to do so with regular citizens, even though at times we wish we could. But employment is a different animal and I still think it's a good idea there, especially of the employee is in contact with customers.

Abbey Marie
03-23-2014, 12:56 PM

I'd like to introduce these people to Mr. Deodorant. He is your friend. And if they need a "refresher", it's probably packed in their luggage to boot. Ditto for mouthwash.

aboutime
03-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Travelling business class has it's advantages ;)

jafar. Let us all know when you find a BUSINESS CLASS cab, and cabby in New York City.

Limo services...okay. But a cab?

WiccanLiberal
03-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Think I have only once gotten a smelly cab where the problem was obviously the driver. More often I have been assailed by lingering odors in the back seat from everything from stale food to BO. Seems to me that many drivers are very aware of the impact that the odors have on their fares. Most of them seem to use lots of air fresheners and such to keep things pleasant.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Think I have only once gotten a smelly cab where the problem was obviously the driver. More often I have been assailed by lingering odors in the back seat from everything from stale food to BO. Seems to me that many drivers are very aware of the impact that the odors have on their fares. Most of them seem to use lots of air fresheners and such to keep things pleasant.
I've never had a desire to visit NYC. I LEARNED LONG AGO THAT ALTHOUGH ITS NOWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS SAY SADFRANSICKO IT IS STILL NO PLACE TO BE . Should I hit mega lottery I may retire further South but ,hell no, not ever further North or even out West. If ever wealthy on a scale like that I'd choose Texas, Florida or some island that has English as its primary language and nice warm weather. I have not the slightest idea how bad a NYC CAB MAY SMELL other than my experiences around such bad odor people in public place during my life. I will say this I spent thirty days in the Philippines and the people there are exceptionally clean in dress and I found not a single example of the wretched body odor I've seen/smelled here in the states from certain peoples.

DragonStryk72
03-24-2014, 01:22 AM
I agree that there's no feasible way to do so with regular citizens, even though at times we wish we could. But employment is a different animal and I still think it's a good idea there, especially of the employee is in contact with customers.

It's unfair with cabbies, though. You've got a small, essentially confined space, and every scent of every passenger begins to add up, so the busiest cabbies also tend to end up not having the best scent in their ride. A number combat this by scenting the car with something that'll override the smell dozens of people, but that leads the problem of subjective smells.

aboutime
03-24-2014, 12:40 PM
It's unfair with cabbies, though. You've got a small, essentially confined space, and every scent of every passenger begins to add up, so the busiest cabbies also tend to end up not having the best scent in their ride. A number combat this by scenting the car with something that'll override the smell dozens of people, but that leads the problem of subjective smells.

DragonStryk. In most instances. I agree with you. I do believe, the biggest culprit of the SMELLY cab syndrome comes from SMOKING in the vehicle. Once that odor is embedded in the material overhead, and the seats. It's really difficult to remove.

My wife used charcoal brickettes in a little candy box under the seat to take away such smells.
B.O. isn't easy to fight, or avoid. But regular bathing, and powder, or deodorant...saves your sinuses and your clothing.

Abbey Marie
03-24-2014, 02:13 PM
DragonStryk. In most instances. I agree with you. I do believe, the biggest culprit of the SMELLY cab syndrome comes from SMOKING in the vehicle. Once that odor is embedded in the material overhead, and the seats. It's really difficult to remove.

My wife used charcoal brickettes in a little candy box under the seat to take away such smells.
B.O. isn't easy to fight, or avoid. But regular bathing, and powder, or deodorant...saves your sinuses and your clothing.

As someone who used to commute by Amtrak, I can attest that the worst smell I've ever encountered on a person sitting next to me emanated from Sikh men (the ones who ties up long hair into a turban). I don't really know, but guessed that the smells came from a combination of the food they eat and not washing their super long uncuttable hair. I'll take BO or smoke over that any day.

DragonStryk72
03-24-2014, 03:04 PM

But unfortunately, regulations tend to get blanket applied, without taking anything into account other than "the customer said". We've seen this in retail, too, where write-ups can occur because a customer complains, whether or not you actually did anything wrong.

DragonStryk72
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
As someone who used to commute by Amtrak, I can attest that the worst smell I've ever encountered on a person sitting next to me emanated from Sikh men (the ones who ties up long hair into a turban). I don't really know, but guessed that the smells came from a combination of the food they eat and not washing their super long uncuttable hair. I'll take BO or smoke over that any day.

Oh that, it's also quite likely the scents they choose for the cologne as well. They tend toward going for stronger scents, and it can get really bad, but hygiene won't really switch that part up, nor deodorant.

Abbey Marie
03-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Oh that, it's also quite likely the scents they choose for the cologne as well. They tend toward going for stronger scents, and it can get really bad, but hygiene won't really switch that part up, nor deodorant.

They never smelled anything like cologne to me. It seemed like strong, smelly food was coming out of their pores. No deodorant won't help that stench much; I was suggesting deodorant for the people you mentioned that were sweating from running through airports.