PDA

View Full Version : One in four Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

jafar00
03-20-2014, 04:44 AM
So many negative posts about Muslims in this forum lately and it's getting annoying, so I bring you this.

Yes. ONE QUARTER of Americans don't know that the Earth orbits the sun.

You're all dumbasses. :poke:

Ok, so I didn't mean to be offensive, but you should know that you aren't superior to other nations on this planet even though some of you firmly believe it.

Can we quit with the negative posts taken from hate blogs and get back to chatting about real issues?

Dear Science Communication Professionals: We have a problem.
Earlier this month, the Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham creationism “debate” received a disproportionate amount of press coverage. Considering that there really is no debate to be had when it comes to the science of evolution, for bad or for worse, Nye faced a hostile audience at the Creationist Museum in Kentucky. He hoped to score some scientific points against Ham’s literal translation of the Bible and his absurd assertion that the world was created in 6 days and that the universe is 6,000 years old.
In my opinion, (an opinion shared by other science communicators (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/02/ken_ham_bill_nye_debate_science_and_fact_versus_fi ction_and_fantasy.html)), the Nye vs. Ham debate did little for science outreach. It was all about who sounded more convincing and only gave creationists some free advertising.
VIDEO: Should Bill Nye Debate a Creationist? (http://news.discovery.com/human/videos/should-bill-nye-debate-a-creationist-video.htm)
And then, today, the National Science Foundation (NSF) delivered news of a pretty shocking poll result (http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html): around one in four Americans (yes, that's 25 percent) are unaware that the Earth orbits the sun. Let’s repeat that: One in four Americans — that represents one quarter of the population — when asked probably the most basic question in science (except, perhaps, “Is the Earth flat?” Hint: No.), got the answer incorrect. Suddenly I realized why the Nye vs. Ham debate was so popular.
But wait! I hear you cry, perhaps the NSF poll was flawed? Perhaps the poll sample was too small? Sadly not. The NSF poll, which is used to gauge U.S. scientific literacy every year, surveyed 2,200 people who were asked 10 questions about physical and biological sciences. On average, the score was 6.5 out of 10 -- barely a passing grade. But for me personally, the fact that 26 percent of the respondents were unaware the Earth revolves around the sun shocked me to the core.
Perhaps I’m expecting too much of the U.S. education system? Perhaps this is just an anomaly; a statistical blip? But then, like the endless deluge of snow that is currently choking the East Coast, another outcome of the same poll appeared on the foggy horizon of scientific illiteracy (http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Blog/2014/02/11/Majority-of-young-adults-think-astrology-is-a-science/5201392135954/): The majority of young Americansthink astrology is a science.
What the what? Have I been transported back to the Dark Ages? Astrology, of course, is not a science; it is a spiritual belief system at best and at worst a pseudoscience driven by charlatans and the tabloid press. The positions of the stars and planets in the sky do not affect my mood and my horoscope has little bearing on the kind of person I am. Even in China, one of the birthplaces of astrology, 92 percent of the people know that astrology is bunk. Really America, get your act together.
Unfortunately, if we are to use the “Is astrology a science?” as a litmus test for scientific literacy, things are looking grim. In 2004, 66 percent of the American public said astrology was bunk. Every year since then, that majority has slipped. By 2012, only 55 percent of Americans considered astrology “not at all scientific.” Probably of most concern is the fact that only 42 percent of young respondents aged between 18-24 said astrology is “not at all scientific.”
ANALYSIS: Is Astrology Rubbish? Don’t Get Me Started (http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/is-astrology-rubbish.htm)
But there is a small glimmer of hope. According to the same NSF poll, the vast majority of Americans seem to love science. Although they returned woeful test results, it seems America is hungry to learn about science and think that science funding is essential for the well-being of the nation. But I’m now concerned about what America thinks science really is, especially in light of that astrology result. Also, just because the U.S. public wants to learn, can they find the institutions that will actually teach real science?
Schools across the nation are currently facing the unthinkable notion of teaching creationism alongside evolution in science classrooms (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_public_schools_mapped_where_tax_mon ey_supports_alternatives.html). The fact that religion is given the same standing as science is not only absurd, it's a fundamental institutional failing where children (who may be excited to learn about science) will grow up with a second-rate education, neglecting decades of scientific knowledge in favor of pseudo-scientific religious agendas.
For a nation that prides itself on science and discovery, it will be a tragedy on a national scale if fundamental science is undercut by superstition and the bad policies it inspires.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/1-in-4-americans-dont-know-earth-orbits-the-sun-yes-really-140214.htm

Jeff
03-20-2014, 06:42 AM
So many negative posts about Muslims in this forum lately and it's getting annoying, so I bring you this.

Ok, so I didn't mean to be offensive, but you should know that you aren't superior to other nations on this planet even though some of you firmly believe it.

Can we quit with the negative posts taken from hate blogs and get back to chatting about real issues?

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/1-in-4-americans-dont-know-earth-orbits-the-sun-yes-really-140214.htm

NO :laugh:

To many they may be annoying post jafar but you are the only one that won't believe any post that shows Muslims in a negative light, man you are either going to have to get some thicker skin or come to reality, but until either the religion of peace does a complete turn around or everyone realizes what these people are about I and others will continue to warn people what is coming. jafar when we decide to take the path of such destruction we must be ready to either defend it or be honest. I have always admired you that you will defend your religion and that alone makes me believe there are a lot like you that are good people , now if only y'all would get together and condemn what these animals do and stand up for your religion instead of just blowing all the horror stories off as false.

fj1200
03-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Don't you know that "Muzzy's and Lefties ARE the only real issues? You know... globalists...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-20-2014, 08:17 AM

Can we quit with the negative posts taken from hate blogs and get back to chatting about real issues? ^^^^^^ Thanks Jafar , that is my plan and trust me I will quit just as soon as they stop this wholesale murdering of infidels all over the globe!! So please don't hold your breath waiting on it amigo.. - ;)

By the way, you have not proven any sourced material I post comes from a hate blog etc.. As my primary source is the same one Jim used often.. However do not worry , because when USA relinquish its final remaining power over the internet all this internet reporting of the truth will be censored and you will have gotten your wish= the truth will be suppressed. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Don't you know that "Muzzy's and Lefties ARE the only real issues? You know... globalists... Your sarcasm is actually fairly close to the truth. Congrats on that improvement amigo..-Tyr

fj1200
03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Your sarcasm is actually fairly close to the truth. Congrats on that improvement amigo..-Tyr

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Now if only all of us could get behind opposing all of the Globalist institutions which seek to enslave the world.

Noir
03-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Shame they didn't have meta-data to show how many of those 25% are theist...as methinks it would outnumber the atheists considerably.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Shame they didn't have meta-data to show how many of those 25% are theist...as methinks it would outnumber the atheists considerably.
^^ Real shame is it doesn't give out how many are Muslims, which surely is the majority that are just that ignorant/blinded. --Tyr

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/18/saudi-cleric-no-doubt-the-sun-revolves-around-the-earth/

Saudi Cleric: ‘No Doubt’ the Sun Revolves Around the Earth

Mar. 18, 2014 7:52am Sharona Schwartz

A senior Saudi Muslim cleric says that “there is no doubt” that the sun revolves around the earth, as seen in a video translated Monday by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI).

During a recent interview on Saudi Arabia’s Channel 1 television, Saleh Al-Fawzan, a member of the Saudi Council of Senior Scholars, was asked about planetary movement.

The host asked, “Allah says in a Koranic verse: ‘And the sun runs towards its stopping point. That is the determination of the All-Powerful, the All-Knowing.’ Does the sun revolve around the earth?”
The cleric, Al-Fawzan answered, “There is no doubt about it. The Koran says: ‘The sun runs…’ Nevertheless, they [scientists] say that the sun stands in place and the Earth moves. This contradicts the Koran.”

“Ignoring the Koran and adopting modern theories is not something a Muslim can do. A Muslim must follow the Koran,” Al-Fawzan implored the viewers.

Here is the video of his interview courtesy of MEMRI. While it was originally posted online in late January, MEMRI provided a translation on Monday:
Click link to view the video.. -Tyr

Noir
03-20-2014, 09:55 AM
^^ Real shame is it doesn't give out how many are Muslims, which surely is the majority that are just that ignorant/blinded. --Tyr Click link to view the video.. -Tyr

The best bit is that some people will laugh at this moronic Muslim, while they themselves are young-earth creationists xD

Abbey Marie
03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
I won't mention names, but sure as the sun rises, people responded here the same exact way they do to 90% of the threads. From their own biased place, of course. The subject doesn't seem to matter.

So, I will add my own biased view: You can blame this ignorance on the faltering state of education in this country. And you can blame that problem on the unions, Dem policies, and most of all, the crumbling family.

Next...

jimnyc
03-20-2014, 11:08 AM

Probably the same idiots that thought Sarah Palin was Obama's running mate in 2008, or the same that signed a petition to revoke constitutional rights, or the same that thought FDR just died last week. But in all seriousness, compared to the overwhelming majority of countries around the world, Americans ARE superior. I don't think we deserve more rights or anything like that, and I still think we are all equal. But look at the literacy rate for example, standing at 99% for both genders. Then education results. Military might. Athletes. Scientists. Chefs. Designers. OF COURSE there are people around the world just as good in thousands of categories, but overall the USA is superior. Sometimes due to numbers, sometimes due to educations, sometimes due to genetics. Sometimes it's just a better society to live in, for various reasons. Pointing out some knuckleheads won't change these facts.

revelarts
03-20-2014, 12:19 PM

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/1-in-4-americans-dont-know-earth-orbits-the-sun-yes-really-140214.htm I thought the poll was done in Australia?:poke:
But It's really sad what people don't learn in school and what they don't question if they do pay attention in school. Critical thinking skills would help a lot, especially since just cause the teacher/book said it don't mean that's it so. 'How do you know that' is a question that I've always asked even in my agnostic days.

Shame they didn't have meta-data to show how many of those 25% are theist...as methinks it would outnumber the atheists considerably.Well Theist outnumber atheist in general so it'd be no surprise really. And the atheist belief system is atached at the hip with naturalistic science. naturalistic science is it's dogma, it's "holy writ" so sure most professing atheist would know certain science facts better than the avg Joe that doesn't really care about the facts and details of science OR religion but still somehow, by default, "believes in God".
But if either of you would care to address some of the info I present in the -science is dogma (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?41835-Science-is-Dogma/page11)thread.
or want to start some NEW threads:
is evolution true scientifically
Is the earth billions of years old - really?
Is the Universe 13 billion years old
I'd be glad to join you.
the question 'How do you KNOW' is the question science has to be clear on.
don't tell me most scientist believe or there are "mountains" of evidence
WHAT evidence specifically. And does it really negate all counter evidence?
if you want do science that is. If you want to just "believe" that evolution is true , well i won't bother you.

aboutime
03-20-2014, 01:31 PM

jafar. Nobody here...above the EQUATOR believes any of us are superior to you, or the rest of the World...except....Gabby.
As for intelligence. Pointing fingers here at the U.S.A. is expected. But then. THINK about WHO really is less intelligent...like you, if you fear living with the FREEDOMS, RIGHTS, and LIBERTIES we dummies ENJOY????

Trigg
03-20-2014, 03:47 PM
probably the same people who don't know why we celebrate the 4th of July.

aboutime
03-20-2014, 03:50 PM
I won't mention names, but sure as the sun rises, people responded here the same exact way they do to 90% of the threads. From their own biased place, of course. The subject doesn't seem to matter.

So, I will add my own biased view: You can blame this ignorance on the faltering state of education in this country. And you can blame that problem on the unions, Dem policies, and most of all, the crumbling family.

Next...

Abbey. A-MEN. Education? What little there is. Union...NEA? Lack of two parents for children?

ON THE MARK!

hjmick
03-20-2014, 05:09 PM
That's funny... The other day my wife told me that I thought the world revolved around me...

jafar00
03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
NO :laugh:

To many they may be annoying post jafar but you are the only one that won't believe any post that shows Muslims in a negative light, man you are either going to have to get some thicker skin or come to reality, but until either the religion of peace does a complete turn around or everyone realizes what these people are about I and others will continue to warn people what is coming. jafar when we decide to take the path of such destruction we must be ready to either defend it or be honest. I have always admired you that you will defend your religion and that alone makes me believe there are a lot like you that are good people , now if only y'all would get together and condemn what these animals do and stand up for your religion instead of just blowing all the horror stories off as false.

The horror stories may be true, but the way you present them as Islamic is shameful especially since acts of terror directly violate Islamic laws, religions, teachings and customs.

There is no problem posting stories and condemning those involved. Just don't try to make them into another opportunity to Muslim bash because you are just making yourself look foolish. You need sources other than theblaze, or faithfreedom.org or sites set up by Zionists which are biased and set up to misinform and fool you.

^^ Real shame is it doesn't give out how many are Muslims, which surely is the majority that are just that ignorant/blinded. --Tyr

Click link to view the video.. -Tyr

Video already debunked in the other thread Tyr. Memri edited the exchange badly and made it look like the Sheikh was contradicting the Qur'aan. It's a pure Israeli propaganda piece to make Muslims look stupid and you fell for it. Perhaps you are one of the flat earthers mentioned in the OP? :poke:

Probably the same idiots that thought Sarah Palin was Obama's running mate in 2008, or the same that signed a petition to revoke constitutional rights, or the same that thought FDR just died last week. But in all seriousness, compared to the overwhelming majority of countries around the world, Americans ARE superior. I don't think we deserve more rights or anything like that, and I still think we are all equal. But look at the literacy rate for example, standing at 99% for both genders. Then education results. Military might. Athletes. Scientists. Chefs. Designers. OF COURSE there are people around the world just as good in thousands of categories, but overall the USA is superior. Sometimes due to numbers, sometimes due to educations, sometimes due to genetics. Sometimes it's just a better society to live in, for various reasons. Pointing out some knuckleheads won't change these facts.

I beg to differ. Australia is pretty damn good at stuff too and we are proud of it! :slap:
We don't go around all hoity toity and prance about, loudly and rudely proclaiming ourselves to be the superior race or anything though.

jafar. Nobody here...above the EQUATOR believes any of us are superior to you, or the rest of the World...except....Gabby.
As for intelligence. Pointing fingers here at the U.S.A. is expected. But then. THINK about WHO really is less intelligent...like you, if you fear living with the FREEDOMS, RIGHTS, and LIBERTIES we dummies ENJOY????

Level with me. You don't really have that many rights and freedoms left do you?

I'll stay here in Oz thanks :p

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-20-2014, 07:28 PM
That's funny... The other day my wife told me that I thought the world revolved around me... My wife says same thing only difference is she uses the word-- universe .. -:laugh:--Tyr

aboutime
03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
The horror stories may be true, but the way you present them as Islamic is shameful especially since acts of terror directly violate Islamic laws, religions, teachings and customs.

There is no problem posting stories and condemning those involved. Just don't try to make them into another opportunity to Muslim bash because you are just making yourself look foolish. You need sources other than theblaze, or faithfreedom.org or sites set up by Zionists which are biased and set up to misinform and fool you.

Video already debunked in the other thread Tyr. Memri edited the exchange badly and made it look like the Sheikh was contradicting the Qur'aan. It's a pure Israeli propaganda piece to make Muslims look stupid and you fell for it. Perhaps you are one of the flat earthers mentioned in the OP? :poke:

I beg to differ. Australia is pretty damn good at stuff too and we are proud of it! :slap:
We don't go around all hoity toity and prance about, loudly and rudely proclaiming ourselves to be the superior race or anything though.

Level with me. You don't really have that many rights and freedoms left do you?

I'll stay here in Oz thanks :p

No need to explain, make excuses, or...as you say..."Level with you". Last time I checked. Like...just NOW. I haven't lost any of my RIGHTS, FREEDOMS, or LIBERTY.
Despite who is in power in Washington DC.
Our Constitution is STILL IN EFFECT.
Anyone in this nation who attempts to, or does think they can TAKE my RIGHTS, FREEDOM, and LIBERTY away from me, my family, or any other American is SERIOUSLY in trouble.
You may think you have UTOPIA down there in OZ.
So..tell us. Compared to JUST ME. What Constitutional RIGHTS, FREEDOMS, and LIBERTIES do you enjoy...like I do?

gabosaurus
03-20-2014, 10:15 PM

Next...

I blame it all on conservative Republicans, elderly people who still believe life should like it was in the 50's, sects of people who believe they are above everyone else because employment and lifestyle choices and every idiot administration that has started an unnecessary global conflict (meaning everything in the last 60 years).

fj1200
03-21-2014, 04:36 AM
... who still believe life should like it was in the 50's...

Do you know how many libs think the 50's were some sort of shangri-La?

aboutime
03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I blame it all on conservative Republicans, elderly people who still believe life should like it was in the 50's, sects of people who believe they are above everyone else because employment and lifestyle choices and every idiot administration that has started an unnecessary global conflict (meaning everything in the last 60 years).

Keep on thinking, and believing that kind of stuff Gabby. Then, ask yourself. WHAT WILL I DO when the money...I love to spend, and brag about...ends?

And, what will you do when all of that ELECTRICITY you depend on to survive. GOES DARK?

I ask, because...as one of those older, elderly people you HATE so much. I managed to develop backups for events like that. Not something YOU can do...despite how much you brag about being wealthy, or more intelligent.

Common sense, logic, and wisdom are not part of your SNOBBISH, SELFISH world.

Of course. You will, and MUST deny what I said. That's how denial works. You don't need to convince me. You first...MUST convince yourself...with Lies?