PDA

View Full Version : So what's new?

jimnyc
03-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Other than beating the crap out of one another with our individual beliefs...

I am bummed that I can't have that cat. But maybe better off, as although the woman did agree it was an adorable little bastard, she also agreed that I might have been homeless. I still think its scare tactics and she'll cave if I get one. Only time will tell.

My son is now stealing my clothes, and I don't know how I feel about that. My wife took my Air Nike's and told him to try them on, then proceeded to give them to him when they fit. She said I barely ever wore them. Of course! I would set them aside and keep them clean, take care of them, and only wear them for "dress", not for the gym or hiking. But worse was seeing him fit into 2 pairs of cargo pants of mine. Granted, I've gotten fatter since and they no longer fit me, but he's growing! The pants are a 36 waist and he just uses a belt. I feel old now.

My police officer friend just gave me a new sticker for my windshield and a new PBA card. This is awesome since he is now a sergeant as of last year. I'm invincible! LOL

That very same windshield needs to be replaced. Just years of sand and road crap hitting it and now its scratched and his miniscule dots and such, and it's just annoying, especially on a bright day. I guess that'll be the end of the stickers.

My brother John literally just called me as I'm typing this. I don't like him sometimes. He rambles. I just ignore him as I continue to type... :coffee:

Abbey Marie
03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
It's inevitable that they end up surpassing us in every way. Doesn't necessarily make it any easier though, haha.

What's new:

My MIL, who has advanced stage Alzheimer disease, is now hardly eating, so we are heading to New Hampshire to visit her. It is going to be a sad visit.

Still haven't decided on a new cat since our beloved one died in September. None ever seems quite right, so I guess I am not ready.

We have been playing Trivia at our local Applebees and really enjoy it. We don't always win, but we usually do. The young guys are always a little surprised and chagrined. :cool:

Our daughter is finally in her last semester of college (4.5 years). Anyone have a job for her?
She is graduating with honors, but the only skill she really has at this point is waitressing. ;)

jimnyc
03-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Holy crap! I can remember you visiting colleges with her, no? That went quick!!

Sorry to hear about your MIL. Always tough to deal with those situations. :(

You need to look at a Savannah or a Bengal cat!!

Savannah:

http://i.imgur.com/dzo47xO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H89btxF.jpg

Bengal:

http://i.imgur.com/h2nDIdt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BWpyUT0.jpg

namvet
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
It's inevitable that they end up surpassing us in every way. Doesn't necessarily make it any easier though, haha.

What's new:

My MIL, who has advanced stage Alzheimer disease, is now hardly eating, so we are heading to New Hampshire to visit her. It is going to be a sad visit.

Still haven't decided on a new cat since our beloved one died in September. None ever seems quite right, so I guess I am not ready.

We have been playing Trivia at our local Applebees and really enjoy it. We don't always win, but we usually do. The young guys are always a little surprised and chagrined. :cool:

Our daughter is finally in her last semester of college (4.5 years). Anyone have a job for her?
She is graduating with honors, but the only skill she really has at this point is waitressing. ;)

same here Abby. my MIL has Alzheimer disease to. her memory is gone. zero recall. not sure what stage that is. but she's a load for her family.

CSM
03-26-2014, 12:20 PM
same here Abby. my MIL has Alzheimer disease to. her memory is gone. zero recall. not sure what stage that is. but she's a load for her family.

Father-in-law for me. The good thing is he always remembers me (forgets who his kids and lifelong friends are ... wierd) and tends to listen to what I tell him. He doesn't remember it 5 minutes later though. Lots of patience required. I hear the same stories over and over at ten minute intervals ... lol.

tailfins
03-26-2014, 12:37 PM
That very same windshield needs to be replaced. Just years of sand and road crap hitting it and now its scratched and his miniscule dots and such, and it's just annoying, especially on a bright day. I guess that'll be the end of the stickers.

When you replace that windshield, what do you think of this? Except one made for your particular vehicle:

http://www.clearplex.com/products/toyota-fj-cruiser-windshield-protection

namvet
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Father-in-law for me. The good thing is he always remembers me (forgets who his kids and lifelong friends are ... wierd) and tends to listen to what I tell him. He doesn't remember it 5 minutes later though. Lots of patience required. I hear the same stories over and over at ten minute intervals ... lol.

ditto here. her hubby passed away last Oct, the family was hoping she would go first. she stays with her son and his family, but the wife and I get her on some weekends. its kinda hard for me to deal with it. so I have to make the adjustment. she can't remember anything at all now. she also gets pissed off if you cross her and she'll cuss you out with foul language. even hit you.
years ago went to my PCP for a check up and had a word with his nurse about this. she said when they pass they simply forget to breath.

CSM
03-26-2014, 12:52 PM
ditto here. her hubby passed away last Oct, the family was hoping she would go first. she stays with her son and his family, but the wife and I get her on some weekends. its kinda hard for me to deal with it. so I have to make the adjustment. she can't remember anything at all now. she also gets pissed off if you cross her and she'll cuss you out with foul language. even hit you.
years ago went to my PCP for a check up and had a word with his nurse about this. she said when they pass they simply forget to breath.

I understand. My father in law falls down quite a lot because he just forgets how to stand and walk. His legs are strong enough (so says the doc) but the synapses from the brain don't always make it down to the leg muscles. It's pretty tough on him but fortunately, he has not injured himself too badly (yet).

namvet
03-26-2014, 01:00 PM
I understand. My father in law falls down quite a lot because he just forgets how to stand and walk. His legs are strong enough (so says the doc) but the synapses from the brain don't always make it down to the leg muscles. It's pretty tough on him but fortunately, he has not injured himself too badly (yet).

I forgot to mention this but she has taken off and got lost. sometimes we find her, sometimes its the neighbors. but someday i fear she's gone. for good. you always hear about seniors who disappear without a trace. I told her family she should be registered with local police.

Abbey Marie
03-26-2014, 01:41 PM
My MIL has fallen twice, and recently broke her hip. They tell us she fell over someone who tripped in front of her, but now I wonder if it is her brain really causing it. All of the people just in this thread with Alzheimers in the family makes me wonder again- did we always have this and just chalk it up to senility, or is it a new epidemic?

Jim- I know it went fast (well, except for the tuition, room and book payments, haha). She is 22, and already talking about getting an apartment with her friends downtown. For an Olympic worrier like me, it's so hard to deal with.

fj1200
03-26-2014, 02:00 PM
My MIL has fallen twice, and recently broke her hip. They tell us she fell over someone who tripped in front of her, but now I wonder if it is her brain really causing it. All of the people just in this thread with Alzheimers in the family makes me wonder again- did we always have this and just chalk it up to senility, or is it a new epidemic?

People are living longer than their minds are capable of sustaining their bodies. A downside of modern medicine in some respects. My grandmother lived to be 101? but the last 30? years were not what I would call living.

Abbey Marie
03-26-2014, 02:08 PM
People are living longer than their minds are capable of sustaining their bodies. A downside of modern medicine in some respects. My grandmother lived to be 101? but the last 30? years were not what I would call living.

I hadn't thought of it that way. There is also apparently a genetic component that needs to be factored in.

jimnyc
03-26-2014, 02:20 PM
When you replace that windshield, what do you think of this? Except one made for your particular vehicle:

http://www.clearplex.com/products/toyota-fj-cruiser-windshield-protection

Interesting. I wonder if that's like what the Nascar cars use. I notice that often when they come in for a pitstop, someone will tear off the windshield, or a screen of sorts. You don't even see it there as it's some sort of film I guess. But it's probably like a cell phone screen protector. Ever try to put one of those on and try and do it without getting any bubbles? Imagine doing so on your car and having 25,617 bubbles? LOL

namvet
03-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I read women over 60 are more likely to get Alzheimer's than men. there's so much they still don't know

Report: Alzheimer's far more likely than breast cancer in women over 60

link (http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/19/health/women-alzheimers/)

tailfins
03-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Interesting. I wonder if that's like what the Nascar cars use. I notice that often when they come in for a pitstop, someone will tear off the windshield, or a screen of sorts. You don't even see it there as it's some sort of film I guess. But it's probably like a cell phone screen protector. Ever try to put one of those on and try and do it without getting any bubbles? Imagine doing so on your car and having 25,617 bubbles? LOL

I'm considering installing one on my truck for the trip this Summer. It's supposed to be easy to peel off. If it's a problem, I would peel it off just as soon as I get off the ferry boat that lands on the island of NewFoundland having done it's job of saving my windshield from the Trans Labrador Highway.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-26-2014, 06:11 PM
My brother John literally just called me as I'm typing this. I don't like him sometimes. He rambles. I just ignore him as I continue to type... :coffee:

You mean Jeff dontcha"??? ---:poke:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:, two birds -one stone.. ;)--Tyr

Kathianne
03-26-2014, 11:04 PM

Jim- I know it went fast (well, except for the tuition, room and book payments, haha). She is 22, and already talking about getting an apartment with her friends downtown. For an Olympic worrier like me, it's so hard to deal with.

Years ago I remember telling you, 'Little kids, little worries; bigger kids, bigger worries.' Oh do I have a 'worry' for you, but too late now. Tell you soon! Tell you what, start praying for my grand daughter. Her name will be Alison Noel.

Kathianne
03-26-2014, 11:09 PM
While not the first pic, the most recent:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/s403x403/1456588_486817964778241_1917572316_n.jpg
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=486817964778241&set=a.111841045609270.9489.100003501256001&type=1)

jimnyc
03-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Years ago I remember telling you, 'Little kids, little worries; bigger kids, bigger worries.' Oh do I have a 'worry' for you, but too late now. Tell you soon! Tell you what, start praying for my grand daughter. Her name will be Alison Noel.

While not the first pic, the most recent:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/s403x403/1456588_486817964778241_1917572316_n.jpg
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=486817964778241&set=a.111841045609270.9489.100003501256001&type=1)

So you're gonna be a grandma? Awesome! Congrats!!! :)

Abbey Marie
03-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Congrats Kath! How exciting. :cool:

I'll wait for a PM from you about the big worry?

aboutime
03-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Most of us know the joys of becoming parents. But...when you first lay eyes on your FIRST grandchild.

YOUR ENTIRE WORLD...LITERALLY, CHANGES FOREVER. And Life begins again!

Congratulations Grand Mom. Nothing like it, and the smiles last forever too!