PDA

View Full Version : Noah

jafar00
03-30-2014, 05:11 AM
I just saw it and was not impressed.

I went there fully expecting a work of complete fiction, and was not at all disappointed. If I didn't go there expecting a work of fiction, I would have been very annoyed at the depiction of a great Prophet like Noah as a drunk with evil thoughts.

As soon as I saw the rock monsters within the first few minutes of the film, I knew to forget about any theological criticism and just concentrated on the hollywood, the drama and the CGI which was pretty cool.

In the end though, I was left feeling both amused, and underwhelmed.

I'm amazed that a film that manages to insult Muslims, Christians and Jews with equal measure was able to secure funding let alone a star cast. I'm not sure it would even appeal to atheists despite the thinly disguised Darwinian evolution model being snuck in the middle. :)

Gaffer
03-30-2014, 08:41 AM
I saw some previews of the movie a few weeks ago and was under impressed with just that. I put it in the category of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which means never to be watched. Hollywood cannot be trusted with anything historical or mythological. For that matter, they can ruin even good fiction.

As an atheist I want the theological content left intact. It's significant to the story. Sounds like this movie will be a bust. I hope so.

namvet
03-30-2014, 09:08 AM
I just saw it and was not impressed.

I went there fully expecting a work of complete fiction, and was not at all disappointed. If I didn't go there expecting a work of fiction, I would have been very annoyed at the depiction of a great Prophet like Noah as a drunk with evil thoughts.

As soon as I saw the rock monsters within the first few minutes of the film, I knew to forget about any theological criticism and just concentrated on the hollywood, the drama and the CGI which was pretty cool.

In the end though, I was left feeling both amused, and underwhelmed.

I'm amazed that a film that manages to insult Muslims, Christians and Jews with equal measure was able to secure funding let alone a star cast. I'm not sure it would even appeal to atheists despite the thinly disguised Darwinian evolution model being snuck in the middle. :)

أستطيع أن أرى لماذا كنت لا ترغب في ذلك. لا القتل من أجل الشرف، وجرائم القتل أو الاغتصاب

jimnyc
03-30-2014, 10:18 AM
I had already crossed this one off my list based on early reviews, pretty much the same as this one. It would be one thing if they just presented it as fiction instead of trying to pass it off as historical fact. They spent $125 million dollars making this movie. They have Russell Crowe starring, meaning many people will see it just because of the star power. They should have went the extra length mile and went by 'the book'. Look at "Passion", while not crazy with CGI, not a ton of action, mostly a verbal movie with the beating of Jesus throughout. Even in a language most wouldn't understand - it still was still perhaps one of the best movies ever, certainly the best religious movie I've ever seen - and has made in the ballpark of $400 million dollars.

DragonStryk72
03-30-2014, 11:28 AM
I saw some previews of the movie a few weeks ago and was under impressed with just that. I put it in the category of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which means never to be watched. Hollywood cannot be trusted with anything historical or mythological. For that matter, they can ruin even good fiction.

As an atheist I want the theological content left intact. It's significant to the story. Sounds like this movie will be a bust. I hope so.

lol, Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter was actually fun, though. It never even vaguely attempted to get anyone to take it seriously, unlike with Noah. It basically went, "Oh sure, we know this is absurd, but it's sure fun!"

jafar00
03-30-2014, 08:27 PM
أستطيعأنأرىلماذاكنتلاترغب في ذلك. لا القتل من أجلالشرف، وجرائم القتلأوالاغتصاب

What's honour killing and rape got to do with it?