PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clinton Takes on Obama Over Internet Control‏

jimnyc
03-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Former President Bill Clinton says the United States must retain its oversight authority over the Internet's names and address system, opposing President Barack Obama's plan to abdicate U.S. control of the system and open it up to the global Internet community.

According to an article by Wall Street Journal columnist Gordon Crovitz, Clinton appeared on a panel discussion at a recent Clinton Global Initiative event to defend U.S. oversight of the domain-name system, which limits the ability of governments to interfere with Internet content and was designed by America to ensure websites could operate free of government regulation.

"A lot of people who have been trying to take this authority away from the U.S. want to do it for the sole purpose of cracking down on Internet freedom and limiting it and having governments protect their backsides instead of empower their people," Clinton said, according to the Journal.

Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia and a participant in the panel session, told Clinton he was worried that if the U.S. gave up domain jurisdiction, there will be a loss of Internet freedom.

"I'm very worried about it," Wales said, adding that people critical of the current system argue that it's unfair that the U.S. has this special power. Wales said he tells critics, "there is the First Amendment in the U.S., and there is a culture of free expression."

Crovitz said there is concern that if countries such as Russia and China, as well as authoritarian regimes, join as "stakeholders" they would not only shift toward Internet censorship in their own countries but could work beyond their borders by deactivating websites they oppose and acting to suppress dissent.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Obama-Bill-Clinton-Internet-The-Wall-Street-Journal/2014/03/31/id/562729/

aboutime
03-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Though I dislike Clinton, and what his administration while President stood for, and did.

I must admit. I am really surprised to read about what Clinton said on this topic.

And, with that admission. I am still very skeptical about his intentions being genuine...considering his Wife's probable attempt to run in 2016.

One would think BUBBA, of all people would feel quite the opposite about control, and it seems it would be much more to his...and HER liking NOT to allow the FREEDOMS of the Internet to continue.

The Internet is the Modern Era, Electronic version of Instant Information gathering, and knowledge for FREE People around the World.
Take away that control...so to speak, and WE lose another freedom.

NightTrain
03-31-2014, 05:35 PM
This is quite possibly the very first time I've agreed with Clinton.

It absolutely should remain in U.S. hands in order to protect it from censorship. If China or Russia or a multitude of other nations had control over it, it would be nothing like it is today.

I don't know if anyone has ever looked at North Korea's official website, but the outright lies and fabrication of history is appalling. And no one within that country has any way of getting uncensored information from the rest of the world... I don't want anything to do with censored internet.