PDA

View Full Version : 2yr-old girl, mother mauled by pit bull as she fought it with bare hands

Little-Acorn
03-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Still makes me wonder why people keep pit bulls as pets. Sounds almost like keeping a rattlesnake, and giving it the run of the neighborhood. I had a boxer, and he caused enough trouble, but he didn't attack or maul anybody. Nor did any other boxers I ever heard of.

But the other thing that occurred to me was... if the mother had had a handgun in her purse, her daughter probably wouldn't be nearly as torn up now, as she is. But in this incident, the mother apparently had nothing but her bare hands, to fight off the pit bull. She sailed in and fought the dog, of course. But apparently the fight went on and on, until a cop finally arrived and used his weapon to shoot the dog, which ended the fight. Result: Mother injured, daughter BADLY injured. And either or both of them could have been killed, before the cop finally arrived.

If the mother had had a handgun nearby, and had practiced with it, the fight with the dog would have been over a lot sooner, and very likely the injuries would have been a lot less.

Handguns. They aren't just for fighting off bad GUYS. Too bad so many politicians and other leftists think law-abiding people shouldn't have them. If they weren't so hysterical on the subject, maybe that woman's little daughter wouldn't be in a hospital with half her face torn off right now.

------------------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/article/League-City-police-shoot-dog-as-it-mauls-mother-5363390.php?cmpid=hpbn

League City police shoot dog as it mauls mother and child

By Dale Lezon | March 31, 2014 | Updated: March 31, 2014 10:58am

A mother and her 2-year-old daughter were rushed to the hospital after a dog attacked them at an apartment in League City.

The attack occurred about 8:45 a.m. in the 2800 E. League City Parkway, said Officer Reagan Pena, a spokeswoman for the League City Police Department.

Pena said when officers arrived, a very aggressive pit bull dog was mauling the child and her mother was trying to protect her. An officer was forced to shoot and kill the canine to stop the attack.

Pena said preliminary information indicated the woman was pet-sitting the dog, which belonged to her boyfriend. It was not known what prompted the attack.

Pena said the child was flown by LifeFlight medical helicopter to Memorial Hermann hospital while her mother was taken by ambulance to the same hospital. The girl had severe injuries on her head and face. Her mother had injuries on her arms and hands.

jimnyc
03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Still makes me wonder why people keep pit bulls as pets.

Because there are literally hundreds of thousands of them as good pets that you just don't hear about. Yes, it's a strong dog, and can be aggressive if taught to be so, as in a watchdog. Why this woman was letting a child play with a pit bull that wasn't theirs... We don't know anything at all about this particular dog and how he may have been raised.

But to your 'why' again - I know quite a few pit bull owners, and each and every one of them raises them with love, and I've never seen any of them so much as play bite, let alone bite to harm. This doesn't mean that there can never be a pit bull that attacks at random, but it is in fact rare. The majority of attacks are from dogs that weren't trained and/or were mistreated, or wild dogs. This happens with Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers and other dogs. ALL should be raised with love AND care, and with a lot of responsibility.