PDA

View Full Version : Prayers Please

SassyLady
04-01-2014, 11:11 PM
So, my little mini schnauzer, Rocky hasn't been feeling well for the last couple of weeks.

Symptoms:
stubby tail tucked down
breathing like he has sinus infection
no runny nose (clear or cloudy)
no fever
worst smelling breath ever (even worse than when he eats dead things or cat poo)
won't eat anything on right side of face, other than that, no problems eating
no vomiting
no diarrhea
no constipation
alert and treat motivated
doesn't yawn big like doggies do when they stretch or wake up
still likes to play ... just not as much
had a annual checkup less than a month ago ... all blood work was excellent but needs teeth cleaned
he's 10 and vet says he is as healthy as a five year old but has level 2 heart murmur

So, would you take your dog to the vet knowing these symptoms??? Think twice before you answer.

Well, I've noticed some of these things over the last couple of weeks but due to the no vomiting, no diarrhea, no fever, no constipation, still like to play, good annual checkup ..... I took a "let's wait and see". Should have trusted my gut instincts.

Took him to vet today and he's within days of complete heart failure. His level 2 heart murmur escalated to level 3 in less than a month and a level 4 is heart failure.

How did this happen? He has an infected tooth. The infection is an upper tooth and the infection is affecting his sinuses (affects his breathing) and ability to eat on that side, swollen lymph glands and pain when yawning. The worst part is that the infection is eating at parts of the heart (I was too upset to get the complete medical terminology). The horrible, stinky, bad breath is due to the infection running down his throat causing the nasty smell.

Antibiotics for next two weeks .... injection today to kick start things and surgery next week to clean the teeth and extract the infected tooth (and any other bad teeth). Doctor said that he thinks we caught it in time but if I had waited any longer the prognosis would not be good.

I'm amazed that he is this sick without the obvious signs of no eating, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Other than annuals and neutering, my little guy has been so healthy that the docs don't believe he's 10.

I am sharing this in the hopes that you will remember these symptoms and don't take a "wait and see" attitude or it might be too late. Especially if breath suddenly is so bad you can smell it over 3-4' away.

NightTrain
04-01-2014, 11:24 PM
I was going to guess abscessed tooth from your descriptions. Our German Shepard occasionally will get an infection on her left front canine because it's broken from catching a rock a kid threw for her instead of a ball, and she'll suddenly favor the left side of her face. She'll act a little less frisky, too, and won't let me "Beep" her nose (I like that game a lot more than she does).

Some antibiotics should clear that up for your dog and probably will relieve stress on the heart as well... abscesses are pure poison.

Hope he bounces back right away for you, SL!

SassyLady
04-02-2014, 02:09 AM
I was going to guess abscessed tooth from your descriptions. Our German Shepard occasionally will get an infection on her left front canine because it's broken from catching a rock a kid threw for her instead of a ball, and she'll suddenly favor the left side of her face. She'll act a little less frisky, too, and won't let me "Beep" her nose (I like that game a lot more than she does).

Some antibiotics should clear that up for your dog and probably will relieve stress on the heart as well... abscesses are pure poison.

Hope he bounces back right away for you, SL!

I have my suspicions about how the tooth got damaged....I think a delivery person came in the yard and Rocky was probably out back (which is how they got past the gate) and when he ran up to them they kicked him. I get things delivered all the time, propane tank filled, PG&E ... so it could have been anybody. I initially thought that was why he was "ouchy" on the right side. From your description (damage to the tooth) that might explain the sudden tooth problem. He was scheduled to get his teeth cleaned later this month so we just moved it up.

Thanks for the feedback. Any reason you haven't had the tooth extracted? The vet told me today that he had just extracted 12 teeth from another dog earlier today so taking out one should be easy-peasy. We are definitely going to extract that tooth.

NightTrain
04-02-2014, 09:59 AM
We haven't had it extracted because it rarely bothers her... but I imagine we will end up having it removed if it flares into a real problem.

I'm reluctant because those 4 teeth are pretty important for dogs, especially a dog that plays and chews on her toys as much as she does. I was thinking maybe of trying to find someone to cap it or something for her instead of having it pulled.