PDA

View Full Version : NYS ez-pass robbed me!!

jimnyc
04-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Long story, but I don't even own an e-zpass, which is a device you put on your windshield, so no waiting at tolls, you just drive through and it reads it and you pay with pre-paid funding on the device. If you don't have one, you drive through and it reads your license plate and you receive a bill in the mail. Or you're supposed to.

So now I get a bill in the mail for once when I went to NJ for a day trip (passed through the toll 2x, there and back). And then I went on a weekend, where I went through the toll on a Friday and again on the way home on a Sunday. The bill comes in the mail today and I was stunned. It shows it as "late", even though my wife and I agree this is the first we got the bill. $5 for the 4 passes through the booth, totaling $20. They "only" assessed one late fee of $5. BUT, then they assessed a "violation fee" of $50 for EACH time through the toll - totaling $225 for the 4 times through, which would have been $20 otherwise.

And - you CANNOT pay the toll on that day. You either have an e-zpass, or you wait to be billed via license plate. Then of course they purposely bill you late, claim it's a second notice and assess a $50 fee.

Of course you can fight it, but it's not so simple and of course will require time. They didn't want to hear shit on the phone and just said pay it or fight it. They won't let you pay the tolls and late fee without paying the violation fee either, it's all or nothing. So, if you decide to fight, you can't pay anything, and then you run the risk of it hitting collections and your credit, or they can suspend your drivers license.

And you know the worst part? In order to prevent this in the future? I now need to get another e-zpass, just so that they bill me properly.

tailfins
04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up. If you want to part of an organization that defends you as a motorist join the National Motorists Association at www.motorists.org .

jimnyc
04-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up. If you want to part of an organization that defends you as a motorist join the National Motorists Association at www.motorists.org (http://www.motorists.org) .

I'll peek around their site. But let me ask - how will they defend me?

tailfins
04-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I'll peek around their site. But let me ask - how will they defend me?

1) They lobby against anti-motorist actions by government
2) If you get a SPEEDING ticket, there's this:

Get Your Speeding Ticket Paid For In Three Easy Steps This program is only available to supporting NMA Members.

Plead not guilty and fight your ticket in court.
Submit to NMA a readable copy of the original ticket, the receipt from the Clerk of Court for the amount of the ticket and court costs, and the court confirmation of a trial having been conducted with a "guilty" verdict indicated.
Cash your check from the NMA.

http://www.motorists.org/traffic-justice/

tailfins
04-07-2014, 01:09 PM
NH has exits that don't give change at night. Are your toll roads like that also?

Abbey Marie
04-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Wow, what a racket!

My husband went through tree tolls without funds in his E-Z Pass account, and received a pretty large bill with penalties. (I told him to pay the toll after the first digital notice popped up, but of course, he didn't listen). Anyway, he called up and was told basically, tough. He called back the next day and spoke to a supervisor who deleted all three of the penalties. With the proviso that this was a one-time thing. May be worth calling back, Jim.

jimnyc
04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
NH has exits that don't give change at night. Are your toll roads like that also?

Sort of, in instances like I wrote above. If you get off some exits, it might be an ezpass exit, so you don't get change. You either have an ezpass which will be detected, or it gets your license plate and bills you by mail. It's a very stupid setup, IMO.

Wow, what a racket!

My husband went through tree tolls without funds in his E-Z Pass account, and received a pretty large bill with penalties. (I told him to pay the toll after the first digital notice popped up, but of course, he didn't listen). Anyway, he called up and was told basically, tough. He called back the next day and spoke to a supervisor who deleted all three of the penalties. With the proviso that this was a one-time thing. May be worth calling back, Jim.

I'm confident that they skip sending out bills or that they are extremely late. I was recently in NJ and that means 2 times over this same toll, and I haven't been billed for that yet either and it doesn't show up if I do a search. Then they surprise you with fees. Then they make the process so extremely crazy to deal with that a large percentage likely just give up. I paid up to date to protect my credit and license, but am still going to appeal the violation fees.

Other funny things I was just reading. People would have to send their ezpasses in for whatever reason, and sometimes when they would get a new one in the mail, the company would forget to put it in a protective bag. The owner gets his bill a month later with like 9 tolls they have never been near. Turns out, even in a mail bag in the back of a truck, it can be picked up by sensors when a tractor trailer passes a reader!! And the stories are horrid, where these people literally have to jump through hoops and fight forever and ever to get reimbursed or have fees waived.

My wife tells me that one of the reasons we no longer have it is because we received a charge for a toll in Delaware, when we had not even been out of NY for eons, nor in NJ, let alone further south. No matter what apparently they wouldn't listen to reason, so we went off the e-zpass grid after that.

Gaffer
04-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Another reason to stay clear of that part of the country. We don't have troll roads in these parts.

tailfins
04-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Sort of, in instances like I wrote above. If you get off some exits, it might be an ezpass exit, so you don't get change. You either have an ezpass which will be detected, or it gets your license plate and bills you by mail. It's a very stupid setup, IMO.

I wonder how many people obstruct their license plates for such exits.

Jim, I have your new EZ-Pass. It's REALLY EZ (two needed per vehicle)

http://cdn.sunroom.co.nz/sycha.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cardboard12.jpg

SassyLady
04-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Hey Jim,

It's the same here in the North Bay .... used to pay tolls on all the bridges to get into San Francisco. Now they take picture of your license and bill you. However, the "first" bill seems to never show up. And, by the time you get the "second" notice (which is your first) it's also late. So, yes, what used to cost $6.00 can now cost over $200.

My friend leaves his car here in CA so he'll have a car to drive around when he comes to visit from AZ. I drove it to airport in SF to pick him up. The registration is in his name with AZ address. After he got home he went to visit family in Illinois. Was gone for over a two months between the two visits (CA and IL). He gets home and finds that he's been billed and because he has not paid the bill has enormous late fees.

I refuse to drive into SF.

Just another way for a municipality to take advantage of everyone. It's definitely a win for the bridge authorities. No more manpower on the bridge and a gold mine of late fees.

SassyLady
04-07-2014, 08:16 PM
I wonder how many people obstruct their license plates for such exits.

Jim, I have your new EZ-Pass. It's REALLY EZ (two needed per vehicle)

http://cdn.sunroom.co.nz/sycha.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cardboard12.jpg

Only need one for car registered in AZ. Not required to have front license plate.

gabosaurus
04-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Last time I was on the East Coast, I was on one of the throughways and didn't have an EZ Pass thing. Got a bill in the mail. Wrote back that my license plate was unreadable and said I would pay up when they sent a clearer picture. They never did.

Jeff
04-08-2014, 07:14 AM

I'm confident that they skip sending out bills or that they are extremely late. I was recently in NJ and that means 2 times over this same toll, and I haven't been billed for that yet either and it doesn't show up if I do a search. Then they surprise you with fees. Then they make the process so extremely crazy to deal with that a large percentage likely just give up. I paid up to date to protect my credit and license, but am still going to appeal the violation fees.

Other funny things I was just reading. People would have to send their ezpasses in for whatever reason, and sometimes when they would get a new one in the mail, the company would forget to put it in a protective bag. The owner gets his bill a month later with like 9 tolls they have never been near. Turns out, even in a mail bag in the back of a truck, it can be picked up by sensors when a tractor trailer passes a reader!! And the stories are horrid, where these people literally have to jump through hoops and fight forever and ever to get reimbursed or have fees waived.

My wife tells me that one of the reasons we no longer have it is because we received a charge for a toll in Delaware, when we had not even been out of NY for eons, nor in NJ, let alone further south. No matter what apparently they wouldn't listen to reason, so we went off the e-zpass grid after that.

I was heading to Boston to deliver and got off the freeway and they did the same, no one there to collect so I had no choice but to drive through and when the bill came to the company I drove for it was a outrageous fee, it is all about making money how is anyone from out of the area suppose to pay and then they send the bill late and of course for a T/T it is very expensive from the get go but add on penalties and they are making a killing up there

jimnyc
04-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I did a ton of reading last night and a ton this morning, and not surprisingly it turns out this is a nonstop and huge issue. How can SO many people be complaining about not receiving notifications and then having extravagant fees applied?

So I started thinking further. I went to Jersey recently and those tolls haven't been paid yet. But if searching on their site, you CANNOT get results without a notice violation number. It's impossible to pay your toll without having received the information in the mail. And by that time, a $5 toll may now be $60, minimum

So your hands are tied, and by the time you can do a single thing, you're already screwed, and your only way out is to jump through hoops. I'm just bypassing that toll bridge for now on. F these people and the racket they have going on.

Abbey Marie
04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
I did a ton of reading last night and a ton this morning, and not surprisingly it turns out this is a nonstop and huge issue. How can SO many people be complaining about not receiving notifications and then having extravagant fees applied?

So I started thinking further. I went to Jersey recently and those tolls haven't been paid yet. But if searching on their site, you CANNOT get results without a notice violation number. It's impossible to pay your toll without having received the information in the mail. And by that time, a $5 toll may now be $60, minimum

So your hands are tied, and by the time you can do a single thing, you're already screwed, and your only way out is to jump through hoops. I'm just bypassing that toll bridge for now on. F these people and the racket they have going on.

Which bridge is it, Jim? GW?

jimnyc
04-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Which bridge is it, Jim? GW?

The GWB does do the same, but not till after 11pm. Then they are without collectors and everything is automated. But during the day there is always a few lanes where you can pay cash. The one I have an issue with now is the "HHB", which is the toll plaza name for the Henry Hudson Bridge, which is about 3 miles or so north of the GWB on the Henry Hudson Parkway. They run 24x7 without collectors now. I imagine that will be their long term goal for other plazas as well.

I could deal with it if I could go to their site after the fact, put in my plate number and pay as I go. I would simply record when I go over, and then use my "personal responsibility" to proactively go to their site and ante up. But unfortunately you can't. No paying via phone or online until you have a violation number. Funny thing is, even when you DO get it on time, it's still called a violation, even though you did exactly as they asked.

Also, people that DO have the e-zpass... I am reading that what they do is prepay the funds. For example, put $25 on the ezpass, and then they will charge another $25 when you are down to say $4. But I'm seeing that in other cases that they are increasing the prepay amount on some people for no reason, where they may fund your e-zpass like $150 even though you barely use it. They seem to be money hungry and overreaching - while at the same time failing in customer service - leaving the consumer "effed"!

tailfins
04-08-2014, 10:23 AM
The GWB does do the same, but not till after 11pm. Then they are without collectors and everything is automated. But during the day there is always a few lanes where you can pay cash. The one I have an issue with now is the "HHB", which is the toll plaza name for the Henry Hudson Bridge, which is about 3 miles or so north of the GWB on the Henry Hudson Parkway. They run 24x7 without collectors now. I imagine that will be their long term goal for other plazas as well.

I could deal with it if I could go to their site after the fact, put in my plate number and pay as I go. I would simply record when I go over, and then use my "personal responsibility" to proactively go to their site and ante up. But unfortunately you can't. No paying via phone or online until you have a violation number. Funny thing is, even when you DO get it on time, it's still called a violation, even though you did exactly as they asked.

Also, people that DO have the e-zpass... I am reading that what they do is prepay the funds. For example, put $25 on the ezpass, and then they will charge another $25 when you are down to say $4. But I'm seeing that in other cases that they are increasing the prepay amount on some people for no reason, where they may fund your e-zpass like $150 even though you barely use it. They seem to be money hungry and overreaching - while at the same time failing in customer service - leaving the consumer "effed"!

WOW!! That is messed up! In NH at night that have these change machines that look like a urinal. People who don't like a pass system because it's a "government tracking device" keep a roll of quarters handy so they can use the unmanned toll exits. The "system" you describle is EXACTLY the kind of motorist abuse the National Motorists Association lobbies against. You need their help if you want to change this (no pun intended). It would be easy for NY to install cash acceptors like NH does.

jimnyc
04-08-2014, 10:30 AM
WOW!! That is messed up! In NH at night that have these change machines that look like a urinal. People who don't like a pass system because it's a "government tracking device" keep a roll of quarters handy so they can use the unmanned toll exits.

Still my biggest issue is simply the costs. Go over the GWB, which will literally take about 40 seconds or so on a day without traffic - $14

Why the hell is it so much? Pay employees? Those that don't exist anymore and replaced by readers. Or bridge maintenance? Looks the same as it has for the last 40 years.

How many people cross it daily? As per Wiki they have 276,150 per day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge

That comes out to $3,866,100 per day. And that's at $14 for each vehicle. A TON of the traffic is for trucks, which can go up to and over $100 to cross. But assume the minimum. Then yearly? Let's cut out some days in fairness and use that total for only 300 days in a year.

That comes out to - $1,159,830,000

Abbey Marie
04-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Still my biggest issue is simply the costs. Go over the GWB, which will literally take about 40 seconds or so on a day without traffic - $14

Why the hell is it so much? Pay employees? Those that don't exist anymore and replaced by readers. Or bridge maintenance? Looks the same as it has for the last 40 years.

How many people cross it daily? As per Wiki they have 276,150 per day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge

That comes out to $3,866,100 per day. And that's at $14 for each vehicle. A TON of the traffic is for trucks, which can go up to and over $100 to cross. But assume the minimum. Then yearly? Let's cut out some days in fairness and use that total for only 300 days in a year.

That comes out to - $1,159,830,000

$100!

I do like the view up the Hudson. It always makes us think about Alexander Hamilton.
Silver Lining... ;)

NightTrain
04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
This is madness. Someone needs to find out who is behind this and who's getting filthy rich off the bogus tolls & manufactured penalties.

Have you guys ever noticed a cycle where during a close election the EZ pass behaves like it should, and after the dust settles it resumes the shenanigans?

There has to be kickbacks involved for this to continue with no public investigations... you have corruption there that needs to be exposed.

I'm glad we don't have any toll roads up here. The closest we have to that is the Ferry System that requires that you pay before getting on board and you're dealing with people face-to-face during that transaction.

hjmick
04-08-2014, 09:53 PM
New York sucks...

DragonStryk72
04-09-2014, 02:42 AM
Long story, but I don't even own an e-zpass, which is a device you put on your windshield, so no waiting at tolls, you just drive through and it reads it and you pay with pre-paid funding on the device. If you don't have one, you drive through and it reads your license plate and you receive a bill in the mail. Or you're supposed to.

So now I get a bill in the mail for once when I went to NJ for a day trip (passed through the toll 2x, there and back). And then I went on a weekend, where I went through the toll on a Friday and again on the way home on a Sunday. The bill comes in the mail today and I was stunned. It shows it as "late", even though my wife and I agree this is the first we got the bill. $5 for the 4 passes through the booth, totaling $20. They "only" assessed one late fee of $5. BUT, then they assessed a "violation fee" of $50 for EACH time through the toll - totaling $225 for the 4 times through, which would have been $20 otherwise.

And - you CANNOT pay the toll on that day. You either have an e-zpass, or you wait to be billed via license plate. Then of course they purposely bill you late, claim it's a second notice and assess a $50 fee.

Of course you can fight it, but it's not so simple and of course will require time. They didn't want to hear shit on the phone and just said pay it or fight it. They won't let you pay the tolls and late fee without paying the violation fee either, it's all or nothing. So, if you decide to fight, you can't pay anything, and then you run the risk of it hitting collections and your credit, or they can suspend your drivers license.

And you know the worst part? In order to prevent this in the future? I now need to get another e-zpass, just so that they bill me properly.

It's another way of forcing you to get an ez-pass, and because it's a government-funded monopoly (Have you ever seen any competition for this?), they get away with way too much. You should look at VA, no tolls aside from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, and even there, they've heard of this magical stuff called cash and credit.

logroller
04-09-2014, 03:49 AM
I'd say fight it if it comes to that, but there are some actions I think might settle it/ improve your odds they drop it. First off, phone calls don't do shit, legally IMO, so send a registered letter and explain that you are responded to the first notice you received on dd/mm/yyyy ( see enclosed copy), that the toll charges are yours and enclose a check for the fees you believe are due to them with the stipulation that accepting the check renders your account paid in full. Express your willingness to resolve the matter at the earliest convenience. best regards., Jimmy the toll jumper :lol:

Don't mention your assumptions that they intentionally billed late, because they'll just assume you intentionally ignored the first notice-- stick to the facts as you know them to be.

If nothing else, it documents the dispute and that should put a hold on any collection activities and accumulation of late fees. There are state and federal laws pertaining to disputed claims (although those port authority bastards may have circumvented those) but documenting a dispute is a must, and it must be done in writing. A standard business letter format in word works wonders and I'd be happy to proof it for you. Best of luck and down with the man!!! :cool:

Jeff
04-09-2014, 07:16 AM
NY is crazy with there tolls, yes it is up around a 100 bucks to cross just one bridge then of course if you are going to Long Island there is another toll that is very expensive and then one coming back out and there is no way to get around them, so if ya add the price of fuel and tolls ya will see why everything is getting so expensive, years ago it would cost me 100 bucks in tolls just to go to Long Island and tolls have gone way up since then, I can only imagine the surcharge now a days to go up there :laugh: add these prices to the fuel tax, road tax and so on a trucker must pay and you either have to rob the consumer or find another job because ya just can't make money at it now a days.

tailfins
04-09-2014, 07:33 AM
NY is crazy with there tolls, yes it is up around a 100 bucks to cross just one bridge then of course if you are going to Long Island there is another toll that is very expensive and then one coming back out and there is no way to get around them, so if ya add the price of fuel and tolls ya will see why everything is getting so expensive, years ago it would cost me 100 bucks in tolls just to go to Long Island and tolls have gone way up since then, I can only imagine the surcharge now a days to go up there :laugh: add these prices to the fuel tax, road tax and so on a trucker must pay and you either have to rob the consumer or find another job because ya just can't make money at it now a days.

I learned about those nasty tolls when I traveled I-95 in its entirety. If I'm traveling Miami to Boston, now I pick up I-287 at Perth Amboy, NJ, go through Nyack, NY, then pick up I-95 again in Connecticut. It avoids those nasty tolls.

jimnyc
04-09-2014, 07:44 AM
I learned about those nasty tolls when I traveled I-95 in its entirety. If I'm traveling Miami to Boston, now I pick up I-287 at Perth Amboy, NJ, go through Nyack, NY, then pick up I-95 again in Connecticut. It avoids those nasty tolls.

It's actually 440 for a very short time in Perth Amboy which changes into 287, which you can take all the way north and eventually over the Tappan Zee, and then continue along and you'll run right into 95 north into CT. :)

jimnyc
04-09-2014, 07:45 AM
I'd say fight it if it comes to that, but there are some actions I think might settle it/ improve your odds they drop it. First off, phone calls don't do shit, legally IMO, so send a registered letter and explain that you are responded to the first notice you received on dd/mm/yyyy ( see enclosed copy), that the toll charges are yours and enclose a check for the fees you believe are due to them with the stipulation that accepting the check renders your account paid in full. Express your willingness to resolve the matter at the earliest convenience. best regards., Jimmy the toll jumper :lol:

Don't mention your assumptions that they intentionally billed late, because they'll just assume you intentionally ignored the first notice-- stick to the facts as you know them to be.

If nothing else, it documents the dispute and that should put a hold on any collection activities and accumulation of late fees. There are state and federal laws pertaining to disputed claims (although those port authority bastards may have circumvented those) but documenting a dispute is a must, and it must be done in writing. A standard business letter format in word works wonders and I'd be happy to proof it for you. Best of luck and down with the man!!! :cool:

I actually did just that, via their own forms and my own letter, which of course will be RRR.

jimnyc
04-09-2014, 07:48 AM
It's another way of forcing you to get an ez-pass, and because it's a government-funded monopoly (Have you ever seen any competition for this?), they get away with way too much. You should look at VA, no tolls aside from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, and even there, they've heard of this magical stuff called cash and credit.

True, they should offer alternatives. And dealing with ezpass is just like going to unemployment, or any other government entity - SLOW and they simply don't give a crap.

I love Virginia! I would still prefer the Arlington area if I were to go back today, but might think about Fairfax area as well. But I hate that bridge! What does it take, like 9 days to get across that monster? LOL

Jeff
04-09-2014, 07:49 AM

If I was heading up that way I would run 81 up ( even if I was delivering in say Philly ) it was still cheaper for me to run the extra couple of miles to avoid the tolls, if I was going way up north I would run 81 to 78 ( ya pick up 78 just north of Harrisburg in PA ) and run it into NJ and hit 287 there , much cheaper and much less traffic :thumb:

jimnyc
04-09-2014, 12:50 PM
These people are pissing me off! I know I went through this toll 2x on my most recent trip to NJ. I don't want to wait on them, and get a bill in the mail telling me I have extravagant fees. I go to their website to see if I can pay before I get a bill. In order to lookup what is owed, you need to enter a violation number. I confirmed with them on the phone that this option cannot be used to proactively pay prior to getting a notice via mail. I don't want to wait on them, as I believe my first notice will include late fees and violations! But they leave you with little to no choice.

I complained that this was bullshit, that I wanted to pay my bill, and am willing, but they wouldn't help me. Finally, I got a supervisor on the line who said he saw that I owed $10 for 2 crossings. He asked the usual billing and credit info which I happily supplied. He placed me on hold. He came back after about 5 minutes and told me they were having computer problems and he couldn't process my payment!! He "assured" me that the bill wasn't even due yet and that I should receive a bill in the mail a few weeks down the road.

There is no doubt that they are pushing me towards an e-zpass, just like Dragon stated. So damn stupid that they won't take cash on the spot. A LOT of people will be passing through that aren't even from the area and don't have a need for one of the passes. They won't even understand the MTA and e-zpass system, and will be shaking their heads when they pull up and figure out they have to just keep driving without paying - and then angry shaking of their head when they get a $60 bill for that toll, and possible license suspension and/or credit ding.