PDA

View Full Version : Need help with selecting paint

jimnyc
04-08-2014, 06:54 PM
This weekend we will be repainting our kitchen, or at the very least the ceiling. Above the stove it is literally peeling back in 4 different directions, but in no other area of the ceiling. Can this be caused by years of heat and steam? We are going to scrape everything off and prime/paint the right way - but is there a special paint or treatment that should be used on a kitchen ceiling? This area on our ceiling is also just above the microwave, which of course is a stovetop model. I'd just like to make sure that whatever we put up there is good to go for the long haul.

Gaffer
04-08-2014, 07:19 PM
nBefore you start check the board under the paint for soft spots. You may need to replace the drywall there if it's caused from steam. Is it a flat ceiling or a dabbed ceiling? Most ceiling paint is flat and thin and takes multiple coats. In your case you might want to go with a semi gloss to protect from future moisture damage.

Kathianne
04-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Having had a mom who believed in painting most rooms every 5 years or so, got sort of used to certain 'rules.'
Kitchen had to be gloss or semi for washability, (My mom's painting fetish was seriously related to her 'cleaning' fetish. LOL! Seriously it was normal to find her a couple times a year washing the ceiling when we came home from school.

The gloss also stands up to humidity better, which is why the semi was also used in bathrooms.

logroller
04-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Kahianne is absolutely right-- glossier (gloss/semi) in bath/kitchen. I'd add that the reasoning flat paints are used is they hide imperfections better than gloss; ceilings typically get less attention than do walls since it's easier to work a wall than overhead. So if you do plenty of prep work and even application, thereby ensuring a smooth/consistent finish, then gloss/flat doesn't really matter, (other than the durability/washability that kathianne noted.) plus touch ups on gloss always show; flat doesn't really. So if you're painting gloss, be sure a keep a wet edge working; any start/stop will show.

fj1200
04-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Two things to think about. If you do have some more serious issues then a new sheet of drywall over the bad stuff might be an easier fix 1/4 inch thick will do the trick. And depending on the age of your house make sure that latex was not painted over a previous oil layer, latex over oil is always bad.

tailfins
04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Irrespective of the color, you can't beat lead based paint for coverage and durability.

jimnyc
04-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I'm clueless when it comes to this crap. My brother is coming up this weekend and I'm putting him to work again! The feedback will be put to good use. :)