PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Right to vote under threat in the US

jimnyc
04-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Both Obama and Clinton spoke and talked about how changing the voting system to require identification, and how it's putting us 50 years back and the actual right to vote is threatened. BULLSHIT. Not one single person who is now qualified to vote would be disqualified. But to protect the system, ID would be required of ALL voters. No need to put out there the reasons as to why everyone already has some sort of ID already, and how it would be next to impossible to get by in today's age without the ID we are discussing. So then, if everyone has this ID, WHY would they fight SO hard to prevent it from being a requirement? And yet the very same people don't cry about having to provide proof of insurance on many levels, or for the freebies like in the welfare system. Ante up the ID for that in less than a NY minute!

Obama: Right to vote under threat in the US

NEW YORK (AP) — In an unsparing critique of Republicans, President Barack Obama on Friday accused the GOP of using voting restrictions to keep voters from the polls and of jeopardizing 50 years of expanded ballot box access for millions of black Americans and other minorities.

"The stark, simple truth is this: The right to vote is threatened today in a way that it has not been since the Voting Rights Act became law nearly five decades ago," Obama said in a fiery speech at civil rights activist and television talk host Al Sharpton's National Action Network conference.

Obama waded into the acrid debate over voting access in an election year where control of the Senate, now in the hands of Democrats, is at stake, as is Obama's already limited ability to push his agenda through Congress.

Republicans say the voting measures guard against voter fraud, but Democrats say they erode the landmark 1965 law that helped pave Obama's path in politics.

"Across the country, Republicans have led efforts to pass laws making it harder, not easier, for people to vote," he said, relating anecdotes of voters turned away because they didn't have the right identification or because they needed a passport or birth certificate to register.

"About 60 percent of Americans don't have a passport," he said. "Just because you can't have the money to travel abroad doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to vote here at home."

Obama's speech to a crowd of about 1,600 in a New York hotel ballroom came a day after he marked the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act at the LBJ Library in Austin, Texas, where he praised President Lyndon Johnson's understanding of presidential power and its use to create new opportunities for millions of Americans.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-vote-under-threat-us-202059095--politics.html?vp=1

Clinton: New voter restrictions are a step back

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Former President Bill Clinton used the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act to criticize efforts in several states to restrict voting, notably photo identification requirements, saying they threaten to roll back half a century of progress.

Clinton spoke Wednesday night during the Civil Rights Summit at the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library at the University of Texas in Austin. The library is hosting the three-day event to mark the anniversary of the landmark 1964 law that banned widespread discrimination against racial and ethnic minorities and women.

President Barack Obama is scheduled to give the keynote address Thursday and former President George. W. Bush will wrap up the summit later that day.

Clinton, the 42nd president, praised Johnson for pushing through laws that helped remove political and economic barriers for millions. He noted that Johnson was a "son of the South" and a "a Texan bred with the state's outsized ambitions (who) saw limitless possibilities in the lives of other people like him, who just happened to have a different color skin."

He also praised those who gave their lives in the civil rights struggle, such as Martin Luther King, Medgar Evers and other victims of bombings and shootings.

http://news.yahoo.com/clinton-voter-restrictions-step-back-015531931--election.html

Kat
04-12-2014, 12:50 PM
They make me sick. Bunch of damn liars. Excuse my language please, I am just sick of all the lies.

NightTrain
04-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Nice strawman, Obama.

Except no one ever suggested that a voter should have a passport to vote.

A state or government issued ID is what has been proposed, of which, a valid passport would be one form of ID.

Gaffer
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM
There are 20 million illegal aliens in the country that the dems are counting on for any hope of winning any elections. ID's would make it much more difficult for those people to vote. It would also curtail the "vote and vote often" crowd. If it wasn't for voter fraud the dems would not hold a single seat in the house and senate.

Gunny
04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Guess I'll just jump on the bandwagon. Legal US citizens have ID to prove it and don't need to sweat an ID check.

Illegal immigrants have no rights to anything by law as they don't exist, by law. By law, they've been deported.

aboutime
04-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Bottom line in all of this. If anyone wants to visit with, or see Obama, Holder, Biden, Any member of Congress...Republican, or Democrat.

In order for ANYONE to see them. YOU MUST HAVE AN ID!

No questions asked other than "DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE ID?"

Otherwise. You actually can't do anything as a citizen in this nation. "PERIOD".

gabosaurus
04-13-2014, 08:42 PM
At issue is what constitutes legal identification. And what documentation is needed to gain such identification.
Some people have never driven, so they don't have a license. What else can you use?

Gunny
04-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Bottom line in all of this. If anyone wants to visit with, or see Obama, Holder, Biden, Any member of Congress...Republican, or Democrat.

In order for ANYONE to see them. YOU MUST HAVE AN ID!

No questions asked other than "DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE ID?"

Otherwise. You actually can't do anything as a citizen in this nation. "PERIOD".

True enough. What's worse is that ID BETTER match your birth certificate or you aren't even recognized as a veteran. My birth certificate has a "jr" at the end of my name. SO does my driver's license, by default.

In a simpler, not so anal time I got my SS card without the "jr" and that's what the military used for 21 years. No "jr". When I was in IL, they used my military ID for proof of citizenship to get a DL there. No "jr". My truck title has the "jr" on it. No truck registration for me. I the vet and not me the "jr" on the Texas title, nor could I get vet plates.

Bet if I was a Democrat I could vote under both names. ;)

DragonStryk72
04-13-2014, 10:11 PM
At issue is what constitutes legal identification. And what documentation is needed to gain such identification.
Some people have never driven, so they don't have a license. What else can you use?

State ID, Passport, Vet ID. If you've bought alcohol, gotten a job, anything, you have the proper ID already. That has been true ever since voter IDs were first put up as an idea, Gabs, and you've been told that multiple times. Heck, I think it was already pointed out in this thread.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-13-2014, 10:28 PM
State ID, Passport, Vet ID. If you've bought alcohol, gotten a job, anything, you have the proper ID already. That has been true ever since voter IDs were first put up as an idea, Gabs, and you've been told that multiple times. Heck, I think it was already pointed out in this thread.

No ordinary functional adult American citizen functions now without a proper ID. The very party and asshats that decry requiring ID require it at their events and gatherings. Such hypocrisy condemns them for the lying hypocritical ffing pieces of scum they truly are. In a truly just world such pieces of shit would be exterminated for the betterment of all mankind for their life and goal is to serve themselves and the evil that resides within their dark lying hearts IMHO. -Tyr

Gunny
04-14-2014, 02:59 PM
No ordinary functional adult American citizen functions now without a proper ID. The very party and asshats that decry requiring ID require it at their events and gatherings. Such hypocrisy condemns them for the lying hypocritical ffing pieces of scum they truly are. In a truly just world such pieces of shit would be exterminated for the betterment of all mankind for their life and goal is to serve themselves and the evil that resides within their dark lying hearts IMHO. -Tyr

How do you really feel?:laugh:

Gunny
04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
It just irks the sh*t out of me that I'm a born n bread, taxpaying US citizen and I have to jump through hoops just to register a vehicle I OWN and is paid for; yet, they want to let people vote without IDs? Give driver's licenses to illegal aliens?

Once again the left proves it isn't about doing what's right. It's about winning at all costs and no matter what they have to sell out.

The GOPs not much better. They're so terrified of losing the Hispanic vote they just vacillate.

We need to hit alt-ctl-del on the current government and politicians and start over.

NightTrain
04-14-2014, 03:05 PM
How do you really feel?:laugh:

You just never know with him.. always beating around the bush.

jimnyc
04-14-2014, 03:08 PM
It just irks the sh*t out of me that I'm a born n bread, taxpaying US citizen and I have to jump through hoops just to register a vehicle I OWN and is paid for; yet, they want to let people vote without IDs? Give driver's licenses to illegal aliens?

Once again the left proves it isn't about doing what's right. It's about winning at all costs and no matter what they have to sell out.

The GOPs not much better. They're so terrified of losing the Hispanic vote they just vacillate.

We need to hit alt-ctl-del on the current government and politicians and start over.

They already have your vote. Same as welfare, you're useless if you don't need their assistance. Do absolutely nothing to contribute to society and you'll have a much better chance of the government paying attention to you.

Gunny
04-14-2014, 03:17 PM
They already have your vote. Same as welfare, you're useless if you don't need their assistance. Do absolutely nothing to contribute to society and you'll have a much better chance of the government paying attention to you.

I don't have a choice but vote for the lesser of two evils. The alternative is a non-vote for the GOP is a vote for the Dems. Holding out accomplishes nothing.

Well, except 8 years of Obama and his massacre of the US Constitution.

Little-Acorn
04-14-2014, 03:22 PM
One of my favorite reactions to all this, came from George Will over the weekend.

He said something like,

"If you don't like what's going on here, then talk to Attorney General Eric Holder about it. He's in charge of enforcing the laws evenly and justly. But when you go to his office, be sure to bring your picture ID, because you can't get into his building at all without it."

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Come on Hoss. Tell us how you really feel. :laugh:--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-14-2014, 06:14 PM

^^^^ Next time, I ain't gonna stutter or beat around the bush about it.. ;)--Tyr

gabosaurus
04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Let's see here. You need to register to vote. You need to register your car. But you don't need to register your gun. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Gunny
04-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Let's see here. You need to register to vote. You need to register your car. But you don't need to register your gun. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Your out-of-context spin is as transparent as usual. The law requires the first two, not the last.

Registering to vote is common sense. It keeps voter fraud down to a dull roar from the left.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. The states make registration laws according to the privilege they accord you.

The Second Amendment doesn't require me to register a firearm, and I see no need for it.

And I think that about sticks a fork in YOUR post.

DragonStryk72
04-16-2014, 01:36 AM

Um, actually, no. First off, you need an ID and a background check to buy a gun, even at gun shows, so that's just a weak analogy right off the bat. Then there's the fact that you do have to register your guns, pretty much everywhere in the country. What do you think you're doing when you're filling out that paperwork?

aboutime
04-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Too bad, and so comical that gabby continues to prove...she's really not ALL THAT SMART after all. She sounds like OBAMA, REID, PELOSI, JACKSON-LEE, JOHNSON(Guam Fame), and every person who secretly carries a gun...but insists AMERICANS can not observe the 2nd amendment.

It's once again called: "Hypocrisy". Or, better yet. "Liberal Stupidity on Steroids".

jafar00
04-16-2014, 09:06 PM
We've had to register to vote in Australia for years. What is the problem with requiring ID? It's to stop voter fraud I would imagine?

DragonStryk72
04-17-2014, 06:29 AM
We've had to register to vote in Australia for years. What is the problem with requiring ID? It's to stop voter fraud I would imagine?

Which is sort of the point with the conservatives. This should really be sort of a no-brainer, but the left keeps screaming about how the poor can't afford a special ID. That would be a valid argument, if it hadn't already been laid out repeatedly that a valid Driver's License or State ID would be perfectly acceptable, which are the most common, and cheapest IDs we have. They're also pretty much used for everything, like getting car/home loans, setting up a bank account, buying cigarettes/alcohol... the list goes on. By law, you're already supposed to have one of these IDs on you.