PDA

View Full Version : SocSec admin seizing people's tax refunds to pay PARENTS' debts from decades ago

Little-Acorn
04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Looks like the govt is stopping this program, now that they've been caught at it.

But I'm astounded.

Since when have children been responsible for their parents' debts? Especially debts the parents incurred back when the child was maybe 5 years old?

How could I possibly be liable for a debt I never asked for, never signed any note for, never knew it existed, and I never had anything to do with incurring?

The article says that the law used to say the SSA could go after people for their parents' debts if the debt was less than 10 years old, but a change in 2008 made them able to go after debts that were older than that.

Huh? How on Earth could it be legal for them to take money from me, for a debt my parents incurred even ONE year ago?

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/14/social-security-administration-suspends-program-to-recover-money-from-adult/

Government suspends controversial program to recover money from adult children of dead taxpayers

Published April 14, 2014
FoxNews.com

The Social Security Administration announced Monday it is suspending a controversial program that goes after adult children of deceased taxpayers who the government claims were recipients of overpayments more than a decade ago.

Acting Social Security Commissioner Carolyn W. Colvin said she has directed an immediate halt to the three-year-old program while the agency does a review. The controversial program seized tax refunds in an effort to recoup the funds.

The move to stop the program came after many of the recipients and members of Congress complained to the federal agency.

"While this policy of seizing tax refunds to repay decades-old Social Security overpayments might be allowed under the law, it is entirely unjust," Democratic Sens. Barbara Boxer of California and Barbara Mikulski of Maryland said in a letter to Colvin.

The program was authorized by a 2008 change in the law that allows Social Security and other federal agencies to use a Treasury program to seize federal payments to recoup debts that are more than 10 years old. Previously, there was a 10-year limit on using the program.

In most cases, the seizures are done through tax refunds.

The change was tucked into the 2008 farm bill -- but trying to track down which lawmaker added in the one line that lifted the 10-year statute hasn’t been easy. And, not surprisingly, Washington lawmakers haven’t been eager to step up to the plate and take the blame.

Gunny
04-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Looks like the govt is stopping this program, now that they've been caught at it.

But I'm astounded.

Since when have children been responsible for their parents' debts? Especially debts the parents incurred back when the child was maybe 5 years old?

How could I possibly be liable for a debt I never asked for, never signed any note for, never knew it existed, and I never had anything to do with incurring?

The article says that the law used to say the SSA could go after people for their parents' debts if the debt was less than 10 years old, but a change in 2008 made them able to go after debts that were older than that.

Huh? How on Earth could it be legal for them to take money from me, for a debt my parents incurred even ONE year ago?

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/14/social-security-administration-suspends-program-to-recover-money-from-adult/

Government suspends controversial program to recover money from adult children of dead taxpayers

Published April 14, 2014
FoxNews.com

The Social Security Administration announced Monday it is suspending a controversial program that goes after adult children of deceased taxpayers who the government claims were recipients of overpayments more than a decade ago.

Acting Social Security Commissioner Carolyn W. Colvin said she has directed an immediate halt to the three-year-old program while the agency does a review. The controversial program seized tax refunds in an effort to recoup the funds.

The move to stop the program came after many of the recipients and members of Congress complained to the federal agency.

"While this policy of seizing tax refunds to repay decades-old Social Security overpayments might be allowed under the law, it is entirely unjust," Democratic Sens. Barbara Boxer of California and Barbara Mikulski of Maryland said in a letter to Colvin.

The program was authorized by a 2008 change in the law that allows Social Security and other federal agencies to use a Treasury program to seize federal payments to recoup debts that are more than 10 years old. Previously, there was a 10-year limit on using the program.

In most cases, the seizures are done through tax refunds.

The change was tucked into the 2008 farm bill -- but trying to track down which lawmaker added in the one line that lifted the 10-year statute hasn’t been easy. And, not surprisingly, Washington lawmakers haven’t been eager to step up to the plate and take the blame.

Conversely, but a little off-topic but just as relevant, I'm still looking for where it says we have to suffer all our lives to pay off debts our government, not us, have incurred, just so our children don't inherit them. We've been paying off someone else's debts all our lives.

For a government that loves to declare itself secular, there sure is a LOT of Baptist/Catholic guilt associated with that mindset.

If they can't fix it NOW, I'm not interested. I hope my children live a nice life. But not at the expense of my being a slave to the government now. That sure as Hell isn't a nice life for me.

fj1200
04-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Conversely, but a little off-topic but just as relevant, I'm still looking for where it says we have to suffer all our lives to pay off debts our government, not us, have incurred, just so our children don't inherit them. We've been paying off someone else's debts all our lives.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Gunny
04-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My comment was aimed at all the pundits who think we have to pay off all our debts NOW so our children don't inherit them. Nice idea on paper. In reality, we're suffering for something we're never going to see.

And what we're REALLY paying for is fat cat politicians to get fatter.

fj1200
04-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. My comment was aimed at all the pundits who think we have to pay off all our debts NOW so our children don't inherit them. Nice idea on paper. In reality, we're suffering for something we're never going to see.

And what we're REALLY paying for is fat cat politicians to get fatter.

Whew. Right, paying off debt for the sake of paying off debt is not the best idea on a national level.