PDA

View Full Version : UN Puts Iran on Committee Promoting Women's Rights

jimnyc
04-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Kinda laughable. Having Iran and women's rights in the same sentence is laughable. This is why the UN is getting taken less and less seriously anymore.

In appointments strongly condemned by the United States, the United Nations has granted Iran seats on five subcommittees of its Economic and Social Council, including one that fights for women's rights, The Washington Times reports.

The selection of Iran to participate on the Commission on the Status of Women is puzzling as the Middle East nation is routinely criticized for its suppression of women's rights.

Samantha Power, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, questioned Iran's appointment in a statement.

"The unopposed candidacy of Iran, where authorities regularly detain human rights defenders, subjecting many to torture, abuse and violations of due process, is a particularly troubling outcome of today’s election," Power said.

Earlier this week, Iran's President Hassan Rouhani admitted women in his country still face discrimination and cultural barriers.

"[I] confess there are still so many deficiencies with regards to the vindication of women's rights," Rouhani said.

But he insisted they are not universally treated as second-class citizens.

Iranian society frowns upon premarital sex and women who are expected to remain virgins until marriage. And Iran's civil rights record is regularly criticized by international rights watchdogs and Western governments.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/iran-womens-rights-united-nations-committee/2014/04/25/id/567771/

Jeff
04-27-2014, 10:23 AM
I came on to see if anybody had posted this, This is a complete joke and exactly why we shouldn't have anything to do with the UN. Remember Obama wanted to give these people the Small Arms Treaty, seems like the UN and Obama would work great together. :eek:

Abbey Marie
04-27-2014, 01:24 PM
I would have guessed it was The Onion...

fj1200
04-27-2014, 01:26 PM
I would have guessed it was The Onion...

I think sometimes Newsmax is almost the same. :hide:

Gunny
04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Can I just laugh at the thread title and not bother with reading the article?:laugh: