PDA

View Full Version : Woman charged in theft from child's grave

jimnyc
04-26-2014, 12:28 PM
She 'claims' that a dog was running loose in the area and she didn't want the toy destroyed. :rolleyes: Robbing from a child? At a grave site? That's the lowest of low.

ONTARIO — Ontario police have charged Frieda Kay Shade, 54, of Mansfield with stealing items from a baby's gravesite at Mansfield Memorial Park.

Detective Jon Sigler said Shade turned herself in Wednesday night, and that she explained to authorities that she took a stuffed toy animal from the grave of Hayden "Tank" Cole Sheridan because a dog was running loose in the area and she didn't want it to destroy the toy.

Sigler and Shade's attorney, Charles Robinson, said Shade will plead not guilty to one count of theft, a first-degree misdemeanor. Her court date is May 8 in Ontario.

Sigler said several people came forward and identified Shade as the suspect after a video camera the police had set up near the gravesite that captured a woman taking the toy was shared on social media, where it received several thousand hits.

"The video is there, we're not denying that. But video evidence does not show what a person is thinking. There are mitigating circumstances," Robinson said, without going into detail.

"We all have sympathy for a child who has expired. We know how hard that is, and we sympathize with that."

According to Mansfield Municipal Court records, Shade has made several appearances in court for criminal and civil charges including passing bad checks, unauthorized use of property and evictions. Shade has two open cases in Richland County Common Pleas Court Ohio in reference to state taxes.

"I have no idea yet how I feel about (the arrest). I'm kind of in shock and have had no chance to think about it," said Scott Sheridan, father of Hayden, who died in 2007.

Sheridan and his wife believe the grave has been targeted by thieves over the years; stolen items have included flowers, wreaths and toy tanks. That in turn led the Ontario Police Department to set up a surveillance camera, a kind typically used by hunters, near the gravesite in July 2012.

"They've definitely experienced enough theft over the years to make them feel that way," Sigler said of the Sheridans. "In 2012, they noticed some solar lights were gone when all the graves around had theirs."

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20140424/NEWS01/304240009/Woman-charged-theft-from-child-s-grave?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Abbey Marie
04-26-2014, 01:12 PM
"I have no idea yet how I feel about (the arrest). I'm kind of in shock and have had no chance to think about it," said Scott Sheridan, father of Hayden, who died in 2007.

I know not the point of the article/thread, but how can someone have no idea how they feel? C'mom man, just say it...

jimnyc
04-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I know not the point of the article/thread, but how can someone have no idea how they feel? C'mom man, just say it...

Political correctness bullshit. I would love to open my own newspaper and have no limitations. Bring on writers like we have here who will tell it as it is, not afraid to speak their minds, whether it may offend some or not. Imagine an R rated newspaper? That would be awesome!