PDA

View Full Version : BLS: In 20% of American Families, No One Works

tailfins
04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
I guess you can say those households have reached "gender equality"!

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/bls-20-american-families-no-one-works

Trigg
04-29-2014, 01:27 PM
they included retired people in that report, which IMHO is disingenuous. With the HUGE baby boom generation now in their 60's this number is only going to grow.

fj1200
04-29-2014, 02:00 PM
they included retired people in that report, which IMHO is disingenuous. With the HUGE baby boom generation now in their 60's this number is only going to grow.

Not disingenuous if they're consistent in their reporting. A breakdown would certainly be helpful and the jump after '09 is something to look at more closely.

Trigg
04-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Not disingenuous if they're consistent in their reporting. A breakdown would certainly be helpful and the jump after '09 is something to look at more closely.

There is one small line which mentions that they included retired couples in the report. I can see other news organizations mentioning this report and leaving that tidbit out completely.

Seems to me that the jump in 2009 could be attributed to the great recession.

fj1200
04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
There is one small line which mentions that they included retired couples in the report. I can see other news organizations mentioning this report and leaving that tidbit out completely.

Seems to me that the jump in 2009 could be attributed to the great recession.

Yeah, I looked for the same thing. I guess I was saying that the BLS is just reporting numbers, others might spin from there. I think you're right about the retiree thing and you can see the same sort of thing in the Labor Force Participation Rate. They've only tracked this for less than 20 years and there's not much of a trend there IMO... except that BO's "recovery" sucks of course.

logroller
04-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Its truman's fault. :lol: