PDA

View Full Version : Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after

Jeff
05-02-2014, 07:34 AM
OK so there are some that wonder why Muslims are labeled as a group that comes into town and wants things there way, well here is a perfect example of what is happening all over. They want the animals killed a certain way ( hell if ya have ever eaten at Subway you know the cold cuts they use don't taste like they came from any living animal ) to me all the meat taste the same because it has more chemicals and other additives ( that we don't want to know ) in it , but the Muslims are going to scream and this fast food restaurant is going to cave for them, works great for me I don't like there trash anyway and any other non Muslim ought to do the same as me and just not eat there, if they are going to cave to special interest groups then so be it let the Muslims be the only one's to eat there.

Fast food giant Subway has removed ham and bacon from almost 200 outlets, and switched to halal meat alternatives in an attempt to please its Muslim customers.It has confirmed turkey ham and turkey rashers will be used instead in 185 of its stores, where all the meat will now be prepared according to halal rules.
The chain, which has around 1,500 outlets across the UK, explained its decision by saying it had to balance animal welfare concerns with 'the views of religious communities'.

Seems like they could do like everyone else and only order what they want.But no it is more fun to make companies do as they want instead of them adapting.

'Subway-goers, no matter what their religion, can eat with a clear conscience by opting for the veggie patty, the veggie delight or, heaven forbid, a salad.'
k (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html#ixzz30TJdoINs

Little-Acorn
05-02-2014, 11:18 AM
They're not doing it to please their customers.

They're doing it because they don't want their restaurants bombed or burned to the ground, the owners knifed or shot, etc.

And they no longer trust the government to do its main job, which is to prevent those crimes from happening. So they're surrendering.

NightTrain
05-02-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't know if you've ever had turkey ham before, but that shit is awful.

That's okay, Quiznos has been gaining market share steadily and this will really make them zoom to the top.

Little-Acorn
05-02-2014, 12:04 PM
That's okay, Quiznos has been gaining market share steadily and this will really make them zoom to the top.

In England?

darin
05-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Thank God Subway has the freedom to do this as a business decision, rather than Gov't mandated (which may not be far away, from what I know about UK)

Trigg
05-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Thank God Subway has the freedom to do this as a business decision, rather than Gov't mandated (which may not be far away, from what I know about UK)

Time will tell if it's a GOOD business decision. Are there enough Muslim's in those areas to support Subway if everyone else decides they want REAL ham??

aboutime
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
http://icansayit.com/images/pork3.jpg ALLAH "SNACKBAR".

PARTY TIME!

NightTrain
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
In England?

I'm showing 5 located in London... I would think there'd be more around the country.

NightTrain
05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
BTW, Turkey Bacon is horrible, as well.

KitchenKitten99
05-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Soon this will be the mainstay...dare I say it reminds me of Spam...

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6084&stc=1

My question to vegans is if they are against eating meat, then why does all of their food have flavorings to make it taste like it?

And if I go to a vegan restaurant, can I claim discrimination if they refuse my request to have my food cooked in a pan that has never touched vegetables?

DragonStryk72
05-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Time will tell if it's a GOOD business decision. Are there enough Muslim's in those areas to support Subway if everyone else decides they want REAL ham??

Well, the ones that were changed over were most likely located around Muslim/Jewish neighborhoods, so it's quite likely that it was hurting their business not to make the changeover. You see in NYC, as well, where certain neighborhoods get chain locations that offer special options based on the neighborhood to absorb more of the business of the area.

I really don't think England is having such a significant issue with Islamists bombing their delis that it needs to be worked around, though. Trust me, if that shit was happening, Tyr would have posted on it.

jafar00
05-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Good on Subway.

In Australia, all Nando's Chicken outlets are Halal too and they are reaping the benefits. It just makes economic sense for them to do it. If you don't like it, don't eat Subway.

Abbey Marie
05-02-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't know if you've ever had turkey ham before, but that shit is awful.

Not sure to what you are referring, but I often serve a smoked ham-flavored Turkey breast for holidays. It is delicious.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Well, the ones that were changed over were most likely located around Muslim/Jewish neighborhoods, so it's quite likely that it was hurting their business not to make the changeover. You see in NYC, as well, where certain neighborhoods get chain locations that offer special options based on the neighborhood to absorb more of the business of the area.

I really don't think England is having such a significant issue with Islamists bombing their delis that it needs to be worked around, though. Trust me, if that shit was happening, Tyr would have posted on it.

Trust me, if that shit was happening, Tyr would have posted on it.

^^^^ Your faith in my dedication is comforting to me.- ;) ---:beer:

You are correct they haven't started an all out massive bombing campaign there(why would they?) because the politicians there are selling out like cheap whores on a wickedly slow night!! And even the cheap whores have more honor!! --Tyr

NightTrain
05-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Not sure to what you are referring, but I often serve a smoked ham-flavored Turkey breast for holidays. It is delicious.

That doesn't sound bad. Don't get me wrong, I like turkey breast.

I'm talking about the processed stuff they make so it looks like slice of brown colored ham... it's vile.

tailfins
05-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Good on Subway.

In Australia, all Nando's Chicken outlets are Halal too and they are reaping the benefits. It just makes economic sense for them to do it. If you don't like it, don't eat Subway.

If it were a choice, you would be right. However, there's a thing called consumer coercion going on. Lefties are manipulating things to take away things like V8 full-frame automobiles, incandescent light bulbs, food choices, clothing choices, reasonably priced ammunition and much more. Things like this are an infringement on freedom.

Abbey Marie
05-03-2014, 04:44 PM
That doesn't sound bad. Don't get me wrong, I like turkey breast.

I'm talking about the processed stuff they make so it looks like slice of brown colored ham... it's vile.

Gotcha. :beer:

jafar00
05-03-2014, 06:46 PM
If it were a choice, you would be right. However, there's a thing called consumer coercion going on. Lefties are manipulating things to take away things like V8 full-frame automobiles, incandescent light bulbs, food choices, clothing choices, reasonably priced ammunition and much more. Things like this are an infringement on freedom.

Demanding Subway change their minds is also an infringement on their freedom to react to market conditions. If you don't like bacon made from other meats, don't by their product. If it results in a loss of sales, I'm sure they will re-introduce the parasite riddle pork products again.

tailfins
05-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Demanding Subway change their minds is also an infringement on their freedom to react to market conditions. If you don't like bacon made from other meats, don't by their product. If it results in a loss of sales, I'm sure they will re-introduce the parasite riddle pork products again.

Wendy's looks ready to pick up the slack. Look what they are test marketing in my neck of the woods. I'll have to try one.

http://www.grubgrade.com/2014/04/22/wendys-is-testing-bbq-pulled-pork-sandwiches/

NightTrain
05-04-2014, 12:57 AM

Have you ever had a BLT? They are amazing!

You'll quickly forget about the 72 virgins once you sink your teeth into that slice of heaven.

aboutime
05-04-2014, 01:37 PM

jafar. You speak as if those who reject, and do not wish to be near Pork, are somehow driving all of the profits for Subway.

Subway is a Worldwide franchise, and losing some people who boycott what they sell is just...

DUMB, STUPID, IGNORANT, and NOBODY REALLY CARES except those who complain the loudest about everything, just to get more attention to their STUPIDITY.

jafar00
05-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Have you ever had a BLT? They are amazing!

You'll quickly forget about the 72 virgins once you sink your teeth into that slice of heaven.

Yes I have had a BLT. Nothing special. Not even with bacon made from superior meat like beef.

aboutime
05-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Yes I have had a BLT. Nothing special. Not even with bacon made from superior meat like beef.

Oink, Oink..yummy, yummy, no pork in your tummy.

tailfins
05-04-2014, 09:30 PM

All this fuss over food rubs me the wrong way. I was raised to eat "whatever Mom puts on the table". To be picky or critical was considered being ungrateful.

Abbey Marie
05-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Jafar, I haven't eaten pork in over 20 years. Do you like me better now? ;)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-05-2014, 10:39 AM

I havent eaten pork in over 3 years now. I consume absolutely no pork products. For health reasons only.
I can almost feel some muslim faith growing in me now . :laugh:
Beat I with a LARGE CLUB.:laugh2:
Yet I surely believe that does not raise my standing with Jafar! ;)--Tyr

Gaffer
05-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I havent eaten pork in over 3 years now. I consume absolutely no pork products. For health reasons only.

You've got some Jewish rising in you. Nothing to worry about.

I haven't eaten pork in three days. It was, a BLT. Actually it was two. And I have a pack of sausage links (pork) in the freezer just waiting for the right moment.

NightTrain
05-05-2014, 05:08 PM
jafar, i haven't eaten pork in over 20 years. Do you like me better now? ;)

infidel!!

NightTrain
05-05-2014, 05:13 PM

No, no, no.

You have to have it made with REAL bacon, not some phony substitute. Nice, thick-sliced pepper bacon.

I have heard it said that all we need to do is introduce a legitimate BLT to the palestinians and they'll quickly stop their foolishness and cease to throw rocks at tanks.

jafar00
05-05-2014, 08:34 PM
All this fuss over food rubs me the wrong way. I was raised to eat "whatever Mom puts on the table". To be picky or critical was considered being ungrateful.

Me too, but there is no way you would get me to eat liver even though Mum tried to force me.

I tried some of their famous liver in Alexandria when I lived in Egypt, and still couldn't choke it down. Can't stand the stuff.

I'd still love you even if you had a mouth full of bacon. :)

Did you get Crohn's disease from Pork like one of my friends who nearly died before having 6 inches of intestines removed?

No, no, no.

You have to have it made with REAL bacon, not some phony substitute. Nice, thick-sliced pepper bacon.

I have heard it said that all we need to do is introduce a legitimate BLT to the palestinians and they'll quickly stop their foolishness and cease to throw rocks at tanks.

Bacon is a cured cut of meat. While it is most often made with Pork, you can use any meat to make it. Yes, I have had pork bacon. I was a non Muslim before August 2000, so I know the difference.
I still think beef bacon is better. I'm not so fond of turkey bacon though. The fat is better with beef.

Jeff
05-06-2014, 06:45 AM

Wow this board is getting crazy, we have Liberals that swear they aren't and now I see we have a couple in the closet Muslims :laugh:

Heck lets tell it like it is, Subways stinks, nothing they have is worth taking the time to stop and pick it up, that is why this has even hit the news, what better advertisement to help bring in customers .

jimnyc
05-06-2014, 08:01 AM
With 52 weeks in a year, and being 45 years old, that's about 2,340 weeks I have been alive. On the conservative side, I have eaten pork approximately 2x per week. That's eating pork almost 4,700 times in my life, and I've never even gotten a stomach ache let alone some sort of virus or bacteria related issue, or any issue from eating it whatsoever. In fact, I honestly don't know of a single person in my 45 years who has ever gotten sick from pork. Of course I realize it happens, and probably those times it's idiots that used old meat or didn't cook it right. I would love to see a study on how many people have gotten illnesses from eating bacon or other pork related products.

I'll bet 50-1 odds right this very second that more people have suffered as a result of soda than they have pork.

Gaffer
05-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Pork has to be fully cooked. If not there is a good chance of getting sick. The theory is that pork was banned in ancient times because the people didn't know how to prepare it. Thus it was easier to just ban it outright than to show peope the proper way to cook things all the way through. The same things happens with bear meat. If the middle east had bears when the holy books were written they would have been on the don't eat list too.

Drummond
05-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Pork has to be fully cooked. If not there is a good chance of getting sick. The theory is that pork was banned in ancient times because the people didn't know how to prepare it. Thus it was easier to just ban it outright than to show peope the proper way to cook things all the way through. The same things happens with bear meat. If the middle east had bears when the holy books were written they would have been on the don't eat list too.

Interesting. I tend to both overcook and undercook pork meat .. from rashers to chops ... and never once have I ever known illness come of it. I've always thought of pork as being a 'safe' meat.

Very sorry to learn of Tyr's avoidance of pork in recent years -- I for one thoroughly enjoy it, and would consider my life blighted if I never tasted bacon again !!

I don't know if this comedy character is known of in the US ... Al Murray, aka 'The Pub Landlord' .. ? Murray does brilliant 'spoof bigot' sketches / audience interaction pieces, one of which happens to be an irreverently-expressed 'proof that God exists' ... naming the existence of bacon as one such proof, complete with monologue showing the revival-properties of a cooked bacon aroma ...

[Murray and political correctness are total strangers to each other ... :laugh::laugh: ...]

Because of the relative crudeness of the 'bacon' sketch, I'll not post it here (.. though it'll be easily enough found on YouTube, for those intrigued enough ..). But, try this one out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9q113rIwVo

tailfins
05-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Finally, some useful information in this thread! I will remember the underlined sentence next time I visit Northern Canada, where Caribou and Bear are served. I'm still trying to figure out how to visit the territory of Nunavut without breaking the bank.

jafar00
05-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Wow this board is getting crazy, we have Liberals that swear they aren't and now I see we have a couple in the closet Muslims :laugh:

Or they could be closet Jews. ;)

Bears are on the don't eat list for both Jews and Muslims. I don't know about Kosher laws but Bear would be non Halal because of the way the Bear hunts meat with it's teeth.

Jeff
05-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Or they could be closet Jews. ;)

No I can tell they are Muslims all the way :laugh:

Bears are on the don't eat list for both Jews and Muslims. I don't know about Kosher laws but Bear would be non Halal because of the way the Bear hunts meat with it's teeth..

Noir
05-09-2014, 03:53 AM
'Private company makes product changes' - 'Okay'

'...to appeal to potential Muslim customers' - 'Rabblerabblerabblerabblerabble'

Jeff
05-09-2014, 06:42 AM

Heck lets tell it like it is, Subways stinks, nothing they have is worth taking the time to stop and pick it up, that is why this has even hit the news, what better advertisement to help bring in customers .

OK just because of this thread I was out riding around yesterday and was a bit hungry and thought of the of the post talking about a BMT with double meat. well I stopped and got one and when returning home to eat it the wife asked what was wrong ( yup I told ya I hate the stuff and she knows it ) well I took one bite and realized how much I dislike it but I was hungry so I ate 1/2 the sub and now have the other half sitting in the fridge, yes it will sit there until my kids steal it :laugh: or the wife throws it away, double meat consisted of double salami and double pepperoni but there wasn't enough ham to even cover the bread and speaking of bread that is what really ruins the meat ( give me a Ham sandwich but put it on good bread and I am good to go ) and to think there are people that love that bread, I went to a Christmas party a pot luck type deal and someone was all excited because they had a friend that worked at Subway and they could get all the bread they wanted and yes that is what they brought to the dinner :laugh: so sad these people down here in the South have never had good bread, they think white bread or biscuits is what it is all about :dunno:

DragonStryk72
05-09-2014, 11:19 PM
OK just because of this thread I was out riding around yesterday and was a bit hungry and thought of the of the post talking about a BMT with double meat. well I stopped and got one and when returning home to eat it the wife asked what was wrong ( yup I told ya I hate the stuff and she knows it ) well I took one bite and realized how much I dislike it but I was hungry so I ate 1/2 the sub and now have the other half sitting in the fridge, yes it will sit there until my kids steal it :laugh: or the wife throws it away, double meat consisted of double salami and double pepperoni but there wasn't enough ham to even cover the bread and speaking of bread that is what really ruins the meat ( give me a Ham sandwich but put it on good bread and I am good to go ) and to think there are people that love that bread, I went to a Christmas party a pot luck type deal and someone was all excited because they had a friend that worked at Subway and they could get all the bread they wanted and yes that is what they brought to the dinner :laugh: so sad these people down here in the South have never had good bread, they think white bread or biscuits is what it is all about :dunno:

Yeah, I'm from NY, and we used so many different types of bread. I mean, you had white bread, sure, it's good for the basics, like PBJ, but when you're putting together a Pastrami and swiss with deli mustard, you need that rye bread.

jafar00
05-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Have any of you tried the Russian Black Bread? It went well with the Sprats in oil I had when I was in Riga last time, not that I have bread any more but when I'm travelling I have to :)

DragonStryk72
05-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Have any of you tried the Russian Black Bread? It went well with the Sprats in oil I had when I was in Riga last time, not that I have bread any more but when I'm travelling I have to :)

Yeah, i've used black bread before. Have you ever had pumpernickel?

Jeff
05-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Yeah, i've used black bread before. Have you ever had pumpernickel?

jafar I had never heard of it but I am always open to try most anything :thumb:

Dragon I love Pumpernickel bread, in fact I like almost any kind of bread except plain ol white bread ( which we eat more than any other kind :laugh: )

Seriously that is the only issue I have living in the south, no bakeries down here and white bread or NY Style Rye ( in the stores ) is really all we can get, I am sure there are bakeries down here I just haven't seen them.

Drummond
05-11-2014, 12:44 PM
This debate started off with a report about what Subway was doing in some of its UK branches, so in fact it has started out as a UK-based story, reflecting what a business operating in the UK considered appropriate conduct for its business.

I'd suggest that the problem it reflects has a wider, certainly UK-centred, aspect to it.

A couple of days ago, this further story surfaced ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622052/Pizza-Express-reveal-chicken-use-halal-dont-tell-customers-unless-ask-staff.html

Pizza Express reveal ALL the chicken they use is halal - but they don't tell customers unless they ask staff

All chicken used in chain's food is prepared according to Islamic traditions
No mention of issue on menu and only appears in small print on website
Critics have accused the 434-restaurant chain of 'duping' its customers
Or is move because 'non-Islamic customers are less likely to complain'?
Firm insists birds are stunned before slaughter and food meets standards

Pizza Express is serving halal chicken to its unwitting customers on the quiet, with staff only telling customers about the meat if asked.

Only meat from birds that have had their throats slit while still alive, in accordance with Islamic traditions, is used in dishes.

The menu makes no mention of the issue and customers can find out only by checking the small print on the Pizza Express website – or by asking staff explicitly.

The chain, which has around 1,500 outlets across the UK, explained its decision by saying it had to balance animal welfare concerns with ‘the views of religious communities’.

The link says a lot more than this, of course. But I suggest that this is an example of covertly-conducted appeasement to religious concerns which, at the end of the day, were never native to our shores, but are being treated as if they were.

jafar00
05-11-2014, 10:25 PM
This debate started off with a report about what Subway was doing in some of its UK branches, so in fact it has started out as a UK-based story, reflecting what a business operating in the UK considered appropriate conduct for its business.

I'd suggest that the problem it reflects has a wider, certainly UK-centred, aspect to it.

A couple of days ago, this further story surfaced ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622052/Pizza-Express-reveal-chicken-use-halal-dont-tell-customers-unless-ask-staff.html

The link says a lot more than this, of course. But I suggest that this is an example of covertly-conducted appeasement to religious concerns which, at the end of the day, were never native to our shores, but are being treated as if they were.

Most of the Chicken, Beef and Lamb in Sydney is also from Halal sources though most butchers won't say so unless you ask, and then they show you the certificate. So what?

fj1200
05-12-2014, 01:31 PM
... parasite riddle pork products again.

I'm pretty sure that's not true anymore.

Did you get Crohn's disease from Pork...

One example is not a statistics based conclusion.

Most of the Chicken, Beef and Lamb in Sydney is also from Halal sources though most butchers won't say so unless you ask, and then they show you the certificate. So what?

You knooooooooowwww. :nudge:

jafar00
05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not true anymore.

Read and learn :)

Regardless of your spiritual beliefs, there may be good reason to carefully consider your decision to include pork as a regular part of your diet, because despite advertising campaigns trying to paint pork as a "healthy" alternative to beef, research suggests it may be hazardous to your health on multiple levels. One of the most potentially acute hazards is contamination with pathogenic bacteria.
According to a surprising new investigation by Consumer Reports1 (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/12/eating-pork.aspx#_edn1), 69 percent of all raw pork samples tested — nearly 200 samples in total — were contaminated with the dangerous bacteria Yersinia enterocolitica, which causes fever and gastrointestinal illness with diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach cramps.
Ground pork was more likely than pork chops to be contaminated.
The pork also tested positive for other contaminants, including the controversial drug ractopamine, which is banned in many parts of the world, including China and Europe. The drug, which was found in more than 20 percent of the samples, is used to boost growth in the animal while leaving the meat lean. Worst of all, many of the bacteria found in the pork were resistant to multiple antibiotics, making treatment, should you fall ill, all the more problematic and potentially lethal.
According to the featured report:

"We found salmonella, staphylococcus aureus, or listeria monocytogenes, more common causes of foodborne illness, in 3 to 7 percent of samples. And 11 percent harbored enterococcus, which can indicate fecal contamination and can cause problems such as urinary-tract infections."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/12/eating-pork.aspx

That opinion came from the doctor that treated my friend so it was obviously mainstream opinion.

You knooooooooowwww. :nudge:

:laugh:

tailfins
05-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Am I the only one who's mouth waters watching American Hoggers? In my case it's the wild pig. For others, a different reason.

http://www.aetv.com/american-hoggers

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qkJfRPxE65M/T_kWt2oxvoI/AAAAAAAACf0/3AEE3SYnCx4/s1600/american-hoggers2.jpg

Drummond
05-12-2014, 04:11 PM

So what, you say ?

So tell me. Why not be candid about this ? Why withhold that information ? Why is this information requiring interrogation before it's released ?

One point to be made is that this is introduction of such a practice as increasingly 'routine', becoming commonplace through stealthy means. If there's no need to be secretive about it, why isn't it all freely announced ??

Another point is that it's an especially, gratuitously, cruel means of preparing a meat source. Maybe Islamists exult in it. But, would kinder-hearted Christians ? Or those having no religious beliefs, who simply find gratuitous cruelty on religious grounds barbaric, even evidence of reason to turn against religious-grounded ritual ?

Somehow, the lack of candour suddenly becomes far more understandable.

Doesn't it ? And .. YOU say, 'so what' .....

Drummond
05-12-2014, 04:16 PM

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/12/eating-pork.aspx[/I]
[/INDENT]That opinion came from the doctor that treated my friend so it was obviously mainstream opinion.

I for one can simply say that, well cooked or not, pork products have NEVER given me a day's illness. Not over all the decades I've lived for. Just within the past several days, I ate undercooked pork sausages. It didn't harm me in the slightest, just as I expected.

I'm sorely tempted to see all of this as propaganda, disseminated for the furtherance of an agenda.

Noir
05-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I for one can simply say that, well cooked or not, pork products have NEVER given me a day's illness. Not over all the decades I've lived for. Just within the past several days, I ate undercooked pork sausages. It didn't harm me in the slightest, just as I expected. I'm sorely tempted to see all of this as propaganda, disseminated for the furtherance of an agenda.

The question is - what is that meat doing to your organs, and how are the hormones and antibiotics going to affect your longterm health.

Studies in this field are ofcourse developing and ongoing, but stats like being 300% more likely to contact colon cancer if you eat meat is unlikely to be a blip...

http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources/diet-cancer/facts/meat-consumption-and-cancer-risk

fj1200
05-12-2014, 05:00 PM

If pork is cooked to the right temperature, it is as safe as any other meat, whether it shows a small amount of pink or not. Pork can be dangerous if it is not prepared correctly. However, it can be a delicious source of lean protein and should not be avoided because of health concerns.
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/myth-or-fact-pork-that-is-slightly-pink-will-make-you-ill.html#b

Like any other meat product, proper food hygiene and cooking procedures are still relevant, but don't be afraid as you hear stories about PED that this virus could affect your health or the health of your family.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/01/11/dr-manny-despite-piglet-virus-pork-is-safe-to-eat/

I'd also compare those numbers with other types of meat. I'd sooner eat pork that is still pink than chicken.

That opinion came from the doctor that treated my friend so it was obviously mainstream opinion.

That doesn't make it mainstream. Have you seen the studies that Jewish people have higher incidences of Crohn's?

Drummond
05-12-2014, 05:57 PM
The question is - what is that meat doing to your organs, and how are the hormones and antibiotics going to affect your longterm health.

Studies in this field are ofcourse developing and ongoing, but stats like being 300% more likely to contact colon cancer if you eat meat is unlikely to be a blip...

http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources/diet-cancer/facts/meat-consumption-and-cancer-risk

I'm no youngster, Noir ... and I can tell you that, apart from a spot of high blood pressure (easily controlled), I'm perfectly healthy.

Vegetarians a lot younger than me have contracted cancer. I think that such stats are pretty meaningless. Individuals have differing likelihoods of getting cancer, this due to various biological factors, some unconnected to diet.

Noir
05-12-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm no youngster, Noir ... and I can tell you that, apart from a spot of high blood pressure (easily controlled), I'm perfectly healthy. Vegetarians a lot younger than me have contracted cancer. I think that such stats are pretty meaningless. Individuals have differing likelihoods of getting cancer, this due to various biological factors, some unconnected to diet.

Trends are trends - everyone knows someone that has that 90 year old grandmother who smokes 60 cigs a day and has never had so much as a sniffle, but cancer trends with smokers are not negated by her example.

You may well live a perfectly healthy life and die of a runaway milk-float at 94, but the presence of meat in your diet makes you much more likely to suffer from cancers, heart disease, blood pressure and cholesterol issues etc.

Abbey Marie
05-12-2014, 09:10 PM

I've also heard of studies linking beef consumption with Pancreatic cancer. You do NOT want to get Pancreatic cancer.

Jeff
05-13-2014, 06:11 AM
Me too, but there is no way you would get me to eat liver even though Mum tried to force me.

I tried some of their famous liver in Alexandria when I lived in Egypt, and still couldn't choke it down. Can't stand the stuff.

I'd still love you even if you had a mouth full of bacon. :)

Did you get Crohn's disease from Pork like one of my friends who nearly died before having 6 inches of intestines removed?

This is pure BS, I have Crohn's disease and it isn't from eating pork, it can be hereditary ( although in my case I don't know anyone in the family that has had it ) but truth be told I got a list of things I can eat and can't and Pork isn't on the list of cant's. As for having part of your intestines removed I hadn't had anything like that ( and I do eat some pork ) In fact the people that I know that have had to have the radical surgery had not followed the diet they where given, and get this one of them is GAY and he doesn't eat any pork products in fact he eats nothing but healthy foods, he is a vegetarian and even than he will only eat organic foods.

Bacon is a cured cut of meat. While it is most often made with Pork, you can use any meat to make it. Yes, I have had pork bacon. I was a non Muslim before August 2000, so I know the difference.
I still think beef bacon is better. I'm not so fond of turkey bacon though. The fat is better with beef.

fj1200
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm no youngster, Noir ... and I can tell you that, apart from a spot of high blood pressure (easily controlled), I'm perfectly healthy.

:)

tailfins
05-13-2014, 08:56 AM

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/12/eating-pork.aspx[/I]
[/INDENT]

So you're saying that barbecued ribs are safer then pork sausage. That's good, because I like ribs better anyhow.