PDA

View Full Version : NCLB Changes Constitutional?

Kathianne
05-13-2014, 09:22 AM
I've never been a fan of NCLB, mostly because of the inane 100% passing. The wonderful concept included retarded and terminally ill special needs children.

However this new 'change' appears to me to be so unconstitutional I don't know where to begin. Different groupings and requirements based upon race and income? A supergroup formed out of all the groups, to save the reputations of premiere schools-such as those found on the North Shore and DuPage County.

Since the elite schools have small percentages of poor and minorities removing the 100% for all, setting it at 85% for caucasians; lower 70's for minorities, then combining total results-their rankings will go higher than ever.

While there are a myriad of reasons children from indigent families or those that primarily speak a foreign language have lower test scores; there really hasn't been a good explanation why minority kids from wealthy backgrounds, attending 'well funded schools with great teachers' and supportive homes, still fall behind their majority peers in absolute performance. IE, they may still score in the 80-90s in percentile, but be a few points below school average.

May be a function of differences in raising, residual dialects, or teacher perceptions throughout the years. In any case, these are really appearance problems more than performance problems-the kids are ready for post high school and to compete.

But those 'differences' in performance caused schools with overall high scores to still be placed on watch lists, for the appearance of disparate results between minorities and Caucasians/Asians. Now nearly all will make the cut-offs and schools with strong programs, but more ESL or poverty students, will have the high performing kids to offset those that fall below the new lower standards:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-05-11/news/ct-school-ratings-overhaul-met-20140511_1_black-students-minority-students-state-exams/3

Different standards for different students
State gets permission from the feds to ditch No Child Left Behind rules
May 11, 2014|By Diane Rado, Tribune reporter

Under a dramatic new approach to rating public schools, Illinois students of different backgrounds no longer will be held to the same standards — with Latinos and blacks, low-income children and other groups having lower targets than whites for passing state exams, the Tribune has found.

In reading, for example, 85 percent of white third- through eighth-grade students statewide will be expected to pass state tests by 2019, compared with about 73 percent for Latinos and 70 percent for black students, an analysis of state and federal records shows...

NightTrain
05-13-2014, 10:26 AM
If you're going to have standards, they need to be the same across the board for all students - except those that are in special ed programs, of course.

These 'adjustments' to standards are being continually made and re-tweaked and it's wrong. The scores should be based on a set of standards that every student is subject to and it shouldn't matter what race you are or how much your parents make.

If you are motivated and apply yourself, you will succeed with enough effort - and a few boots to the ass from Dear Ol' Dad to help that motivation when you bring home miserable grades. I really think lack of parental interest is the underlying cause of students performing below average.

I don't want to come off as a smug Gabby, but my kids are very smart. But every one of them has slacked off from time to time (usually it's about puberty when suddenly girls or boys occupy 99% of available CPU power) and I had to come down hard on them for dismal grades. It wasn't because they didn't know the subject matter, it was because they weren't turning in homework or assignments which killed their grades even though they would ace the tests.

So they all got the full grounding treatment, no electronics, no TV, the talks/lectures about how important the grades are, and no kid likes being under a microscope - and that continued until all their grades were a minimum of a B, with a heavy emphasis on the preferable A.

Of course, quality teachers are extremely important, too, but with the exception of 2 of them, we've had great teachers for all the kids so far.

Allowing students to perform at different levels simply teaches them that it's okay to be second-rate academically and then when they want to get a job or go into college, guess what? Affirmative action is there to get them in.

It's bad for them, it's bad for the economy, it's bad for America.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Go back to having one very high standard--Excellent would do!!
Those that fall short simply fall short, it has worked for many centuries!
All this new crap is smoke and mirrors from leftist , idiot liberal ideologies.
Attempting to make ALL feel good..
Well, the damn world doesn't work on feel good crap and neither does reality!
Creating special groups to be pampered, lauded and given breaks does nothing but lower overall standard for all in the long run.
Our education system should go directly back to the model used in 1900.
Can all the rest... -Tyr

aboutime
05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Go back to having one very high standard--Excellent would do!!
Those that fall short simply fall short, it has worked for many centuries!
All this new crap is smoke and mirrors from leftist , idiot liberal ideologies.
Attempting to make ALL feel good..
Well, the damn world doesn't work on feel good crap and neither does reality!
Creating special groups to be pampered, lauded and given breaks does nothing but lower overall standard for all in the long run.
Our education system should go directly back to the model used in 1900.
Can all the rest... -Tyr

Tyr. Agreed! Let's see how something like this would play out?

Imagine we get into NFL Football season, and the Idiots in charge decide. Every team who plays every weekend, up until SUPER BOWL SUNDAY...agree's that the SCORES from every game they all play is...EITHER a TIE, or There are NO SCORES.

Creating the problem...much like the NCLB above..."Who decides WHICH teams will play in the annual SUPER BOWL GAME?
Not a difficult question...if you are working for the NCLB.....Is it?

Wish all of my grand kids were able to get HOME SCHOOLED. I know..THEY WOULDN'T BE LEFT BEHIND.