PDA

View Full Version : World Record Grizzly taken in Alaska

NightTrain
05-13-2014, 09:44 AM
A guy nailed this big boy out of Fairbanks... and it was only 9 feet! It's the skull dimensions that matter for Boone & Crockett.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/05/06/alaska-hunter-bags-world-record-grizzly-bear/?intcmp=obinsite

Did I ever tell the story here of the 9.5' Grizzly I shot when I was 15 years old in Talkeetna?

gabosaurus
05-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Why would you want to shoot a grizzly?

NightTrain
05-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Bears target moose calves and as you can imagine, they have a large appetite. If the moose calf population is getting decimated, pretty soon you have no adult moose to hunt. Many of us here in Alaska depend on moose meat to feed our families, it's our way of life.

This particular one was taken out of Fairbanks, and there's a very large population of college kids there at University of Alaska Fairbanks that are always out hiking, camping, doing normal college kid stuff. Plus the normal population of Alaskans that are out doing outdoorsy things... bears living in close proximity to the 2nd largest city in Alaska is dangerous.

Besides, this was the largest Grizzly ever taken by a hunter, that's something to be proud of, he's now a World Record holder and that's a rare thing indeed.

He shot it with a .300 only 20 yards away after stalking it, which is pretty ballsy.... a bear can cover 20 yards in a blink of an eye and a .300 is pretty light for an animal of that size.

defectiverepresentative
05-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Hey is it true Alaskans have the highest approval rating of how their state's run?

aboutime
05-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Why would you want to shoot a grizzly?

Gabby. Perhaps you should ask yourself that question if..you came face to face with him, and all you had was a water pistol to defend yourself, and any food you had.

NightTrain
05-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Hey is it true Alaskans have the highest approval rating of how their state's run?

I guess I've never really thought about it comparative to other states. We're a very conservative state, but there's still disagreements like anywhere, just not on the scale of populous states in the lower 48 - there's only a little over 700,000 of us total here. Overall, I'd say we're happy but always on the lookout on encroachment from laws on our lifestyle.

We have no income tax or state sales tax, due to the oil production taxes.

Federal interference in our affairs riles up Alaskans more than anything - EPA, BLM, NPS and others have put the kabosh on many projects we want to engage in, spurred on by outside environmental & animal rights groups filing lawsuits and complaints, and of course we have our own local nutjobs (usually from California) that get their jollies by throwing a monkey wrench into the works.

Sarah Palin proposed building a road to Nome, which was a great idea and would have opened up a vast amount of country, but the environmentalists acted like she'd proposed to Nuke the west coast of AK and the idea was scuttled.

gabosaurus
05-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Bears target moose calves and as you can imagine, they have a large appetite. If the moose calf population is getting decimated, pretty soon you have no adult moose to hunt. Many of us here in Alaska depend on moose meat to feed our families, it's our way of life.

This particular one was taken out of Fairbanks, and there's a very large population of college kids there at University of Alaska Fairbanks that are always out hiking, camping, doing normal college kid stuff. Plus the normal population of Alaskans that are out doing outdoorsy things... bears living in close proximity to the 2nd largest city in Alaska is dangerous.

Besides, this was the largest Grizzly ever taken by a hunter, that's something to be proud of, he's now a World Record holder and that's a rare thing indeed.

He shot it with a .300 only 20 yards away after stalking it, which is pretty ballsy.... a bear can cover 20 yards in a blink of an eye and a .300 is pretty light for an animal of that size.

Thanks for your explanation.

NightTrain
05-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Thanks for your explanation.

You're welcome!

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised you accepted my honest answer.

gabosaurus
05-13-2014, 09:12 PM
You're welcome!

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised you accepted my honest answer.

I accepted it because you obviously have more experience with Alaska than I do. I had no idea that bears posed that much of a problem to people.