PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2014 *cough*liberals*cough need to STFU and listen to new ideas.

darin
05-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Excellent.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/13/the-oh-so-fragile-class-of-2014-needs-to-stfu-and-listen-to-some-new-ideas.html#

Millennials have grown up in a world where you are never forced to see, hear or read anything that you haven’t personally selected. 7,000 TV channels, a DVR to skip commercials, millions of websites—we have been able to curate our own little worlds using technology, wherein nothing unpleasant or offensive can creep in. So when we’re forced to sit through a commercial or, heaven forbid, listen to someone talk who isn’t Mary-freakin’-Poppins, we can’t handle it.

The entire point of college is to be exposed to different things: Different types of people, different ideas—and maybe some of those people will hail from organizations that negatively impacted poor countries, or maybe they were partly responsible for a war that ate up the country’s resources and resulted in human rights abuses and lots of needless death. But if, at the end of your time as an undergrad, you haven’t learned that oftentimes you find great wisdom in shitty people, or just that there might be some value in hearing what someone you don’t like or respect might have to say, what on earth have you learned?

defectiverepresentative
05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
I'll debate this when it's confirmed by a news source other than the McDonald's of news.

darin
05-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I'll debate this when it's confirmed by a news source other than the McDonald's of news.

....why the hell would you debate an op-ed from a liberal about liberal college kids bitching about the very-accomplished folks invited to speak at their commencement?

defectiverepresentative
05-14-2014, 08:32 AM
So you don't agree with the article.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-14-2014, 09:06 AM
The Universities where taken over in the 60's and 70's. Most are now well guarded castles of liberal and leftist ideologies. Final indoctrination camps if you will. The few universities not so conquered are assaulted daily by the media, the government and other asshats that this nation rewards and glorifies! I would never allow my son to attend any of these indoctrination camps.
I have a huge library I built at great costs for over 40+ years and in it there is more than enough knowledge and lessons to be learn for my son. His teen years will see that put to great use if I am still alive to see to that. No worthless slimy liberal professor gets to try to fill his head with lies, damn lies and forced ignorance! I wish a damn pox upon al their lousy heads!-Tyr

gabosaurus
05-14-2014, 09:06 AM
But if, at the end of your time as an undergrad, you haven’t learned that oftentimes you find great wisdom in shitty people, or just that there might be some value in hearing what someone you don’t like or respect might have to say, what on earth have you learned?

I totally agree.
Why do you think I read this board? This thread in particular. :cool:

darin
05-14-2014, 09:07 AM
So you don't agree with the article.

I am very confused now.

I post an op-ed -
You say you will not debate it -
I ask why you'd debate an op/ed anyway -
you reply with " so (which in this context means "because you asked me why I would debate an op/ed") I infer you do not agree with the article"

defectiverepresentative
05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Yea, I was being vague. I guess I'm just trying to say that this op-ed is silly.

darin
05-14-2014, 11:41 AM
What do you find silly?

Abbey Marie
05-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Is there anyone more sure they know it all, for so little reason, than a college kid?

gabosaurus
05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
What do you find silly?

If you don't agree with something, it is "silly."

This is the value of reading both points of view. You don't have to agree with it.

darin
05-14-2014, 02:24 PM
If you don't agree with something, it is "silly."

absolutely - it's a logical fallacy - and common in society. Instead of talking about the merits or lack thereof the person simply insults the idea/person/argument.